URGENT: FAO NEIL: efestivals - malicious site link.

Guest Mr Ploppy

I'm not getting any 'complaints' here ... but then again I junked Nortons a few years back despite using it continuously for donkey's years. Only have some el-cheapo (aka free) jobbie now and tbh, I've only just (literraly a couple of days ago) got around to installing that ! Been running 'bare back' so to speak for the last several years :P Never had a problem ever in > 10 years so not particularly concerned ... famous last words and all that :P Anyways, according to the Norton notes it would appear that the exploit is only really applicable if you have an OLD version of the god-d@mn-awful-should-be-wiped-off-the-planet-sooner-rather-than-later Adobe Flash Player installed on your system. Anything >9.0.124 doesn't have the vulnerability. Make sure your flash player is as up-to-date as it can be depending on your OS of course as I still have to use FP8 on Ye Olde Puter so there is no fix available for that version. Also a *very* good idea to completely clear your cache because if, unlike me who does it every time I close the browser, you haven't done it recently the infected file(s) will be cached on your PC and will hang around for a dogs age !

Looks to me like it was one of the ADs or even the AD House system itself that was/is the problem rather than eFests anyway. Could well explain other strange things apparently going on earlier this morning whilst browsing the forums tho.

Edited by mikeb

Yeah Kriss, but some websites only survive due to ads and if everybody blocked them we would not have half the websites we like to surf.

Oh well, its nearly 12 hours since I first reported this problem (and I believe otheres have) and the trojans still seem to be embedded in this site.

I am disappointed. :-(

http://www.infoworld.com/t/applications/fi...auses-angst-900

Further info:

The issue existed from 10:20am yesterday (Sunday 15th Nov) until 8:52am today.

The issue was caused by one of the ad-servers used by efestivals having been hacked, exploiting a known (tho only recently known) vulnerability. To ensure that all traces of this issue are removed, the effected adserver will be rebuilt from scratch.