Will Summer Sundae happen next year?

Guest mpop

I just wondered if summer sundae will happen next year? It has been reported in the Leicester Mercury that the festival went £107,000 over budget last year and £143,000 over-budget the year before that.

Did it make any money this year?

Will it happen in 2010?

Erm, given they've already announced dates, I'm guessing so.

Isn't there a "I heard that..." thread every year?

At least the Mercury are keeping a consistent line after its full page piece knocking DMH and the whole local music scene the day before this year's festival.

Edited by SweepingTheNation

leicester city council spent £137,000 on one leicester lampost banners in 2008 / 2009

ssw 2009 just about broke even.

which one promotes the city better? an award winning, nationally reknowned sell out music festival, attended by 20,000 people

or some lampost banners?

as far as im concerned there will be a 2010 fringe festival, (whilst clearly its not my announcement to make) i see no reason for there not to be a summer sundae weekender as well.

Edited by andyblack

Well - if it doesn't happen then the Leicester Mercury, printed in Nottingham, and put together by journalists and an editor who are only happy when publishing 'bad' news about Leicester will surely be very happy.

Two days after that article, I'm still incensed by the sensationalised half-truths and misplaced quotes put together by Adam Wakelin and thoroughly endorsed and praised in the editorial. It's a complete hatchet job and terrible journalism but as Sweeping the nation rightly mentions absolutely in line with the current ethos of the rag.

Sean

It was inevitable that the question would get asked, given all the bad press.

My buddy Niblet just asked me the same question.

I suppose we have to 'keep calm and carry on' as the saying goes, and wait for some official information.

My personal guess is that we'll all be there again next August, having a great time! :)

Some people are never happy. Well Leicester Mercury (probably a poxy paper anyway) hardly The Guardian.What about the money people spend in the city, supermarkets, local shops and pubs, takeaways and so on. We travel to Leicester to Summer Sundae every year from Stockport/Mancheter and every year our group gets bigger 12 last year and possibly more next. So lets get behind the organisers and i suggest that every one of us write this rag a letter to show them what we think of there articles and the way they have tried to ruin the reputation of the festivals and organisers we all know and love.Wouldn't it be great 12,000 or so letters falling on the lock up floor probably more than their readership. No wonder free papers like The Metro are taking over........

The Leicester Mercury's attack on DMH and Richard Haswell in particular has shown just how poor that paper is. It's part of the Daily Mail group, I believe, which gives a good idea of where it's coming from. Mistakes may well have been made at DMH but at the end of the day an arts venue is there to provide arts to the people of Leicester, and if money's tight tickets will be harder to sell. DMH isn't there to make a profit necessarily (or at least shouldn't be - the new 61 million pound theatre in Leicester will take decades to recoup what's been spent on it, if ever), though it would be nice if it broke even, and the same should be true of Summer Sundae - a festival like this is worth a bit of budget. How many millions has the city council spent on useless consultants in the past few years? Why aren't the Mercury 'journalists' (who include a few former Leicester musicians, or at least used to) asking questions like that rather than doing a hatchet job on someone who has spent the last few years trying to do something positive for Leicester, and at the time of writing has not been shown to have done anything wrong at all?

The Leicester Mercury's attack on DMH and Richard Haswell in particular has shown just how poor that paper is. It's part of the Daily Mail group, I believe, which gives a good idea of where it's coming from. Mistakes may well have been made at DMH but at the end of the day an arts venue is there to provide arts to the people of Leicester, and if money's tight tickets will be harder to sell. DMH isn't there to make a profit necessarily (or at least shouldn't be - the new 61 million pound theatre in Leicester will take decades to recoup what's been spent on it, if ever), though it would be nice if it broke even, and the same should be true of Summer Sundae - a festival like this is worth a bit of budget. How many millions has the city council spent on useless consultants in the past few years? Why aren't the Mercury 'journalists' (who include a few former Leicester musicians, or at least used to) asking questions like that rather than doing a hatchet job on someone who has spent the last few years trying to do something positive for Leicester, and at the time of writing has not been shown to have done anything wrong at all?

Some people are never happy. Well Leicester Mercury (probably a poxy paper anyway) hardly The Guardian.What about the money people spend in the city, supermarkets, local shops and pubs, takeaways and so on. We travel to Leicester to Summer Sundae every year from Stockport/Mancheter and every year our group gets bigger 12 last year and possibly more next. So lets get behind the organisers and i suggest that every one of us write this rag a letter to show them what we think of there articles and the way they have tried to ruin the reputation of the festivals and organisers we all know and love.Wouldn't it be great 12,000 or so letters falling on the lock up floor probably more than their readership. No wonder free papers like The Metro are taking over........
Edited by rseamer

I saw the article and it was not an attack on DMH or Summer Sundae, it was the revealing of FACTS from a report written two years ago by independent auditors. I am from Leicester and hope that DMH and Summer Sundae do continue. But only if they are run properly as I (as a tax payer) am not happy subsidising these activities.

i dont have the access from work to post a link up, but there is now a facebook group in support of Richard Haswell, and his potential use as a scapegoat to cover Leicester City Council's mismanagement of the hall finances.

It would be lovely if you could all join in (and hopefully DWC and / or Ed can post a link up?).

i dont have the access from work to post a link up, but there is now a facebook group in support of Richard Haswell, and his potential use as a scapegoat to cover Leicester City Council's mismanagement of the hall finances.

It would be lovely if you could all join in (and hopefully DWC and / or Ed can post a link up?).

What is this craziness I am reading!! Surely, even if Summer Sundae runs at a loss it contributes a massive amount to the city not only in revenue for businesses, but culturally as well. It also raises the profile of the city on a National scale and I for one wish that Nottingham, where I live, could offer something on a par with Summer Sundae (don't get me wrong there's loads of cool stuff going on here, but nothing as good as SS).

Richard H also makes SS what it is and wihtout his input a lot of people would have missed out on a lot of amazing evenings watching a superb range of music.

Local papers really do suck arse.

:P