Xmas Stocking Wish List

Guest perfectpassion

For anyone interested in Music here is a brill book to put on your Xmas List...records ah those things you can hold in your hand..a tonic in this virtual world of mp3 files, downloads and virtual friends

From the guy who brought us "No More Heroes"

Independence Days, even by the standards of author Alex Ogg’s previous work (The Hip Hop Years, No More Heroes etc) is an exhaustive undertaking. Collating more than 150 interviews, it traces the story of the UK independent record label boom of the late 70s to mid-80s. While most of the punk bands were co-opted by major labels, a new generation of independent spirits took the baton and revolutionised the course of popular music.

Discrete chapters cover Chiswick/Ace, Stiff, Rough Trade, Beggars Banquet/4AD, Crass, Factory, Cherry Red and Mute. There is also extensive coverage of Fast Product, Zoo, Clay, Small Wonder, CNT, Industrial, Good Vibrations, Postcard and myriad others. The smaller labels and their unique stories are also rigorously explored, alongside those of the Cartel distribution system. Fresh eyes are cast over familiar territory (and myths exploded in the process) and wholly new perspectives emerge as a fabulous, almost Shakespearean cast of characters is profiled and their achievements weighed. From the budget DIY of Buzzcocks and The Desperate Bicycles to the grandiose packaging of Factory and 4AD and eventual chart dominance of Depeche Mode and New Order, all the key moments are documented through painstaking research, analysis and eyewitness accounts. Scheming and rivalries and fiscal brinkmanship contrast with the optimism and opportunism – and incredible diversity and quality of music - of a decade when anything seemed possible.

Interviewees include: Geoff Travis, Daniel Miller, Ivo Watts-Russell, Dave Robinson, Ted Carroll, Bill Drummond, Roger Armstrong, Penny Rimbaud, Richard Boon, Martin Mills, Richard Scott Iain McNay, Mike Stone, Mike Alway, Bob Last, Terri Hooley, Bill Gilliam, Charlie Gillett, Miles Copeland, Seymour Stein, Geoff Davies etc

Published by Cherry Red/Distributed by Turnaround

Well if it has interviews with Geoff Davies (he of Probe Plus, ergo Half Man Half Biscuit) it's gotta be good.

If you're looking for music-related books then I can also recommend, for I have read them:

A Year of Festivals by Jarvis Hammond - one man's (and his long-suffering wife's) attempt to discover what makes the perfect festival, via attending 13 of the things in 2007 (including EOTR).

No Sleep Til Canvey Island by Will Birch - the story of pub rock - the Brinsley Schwartz fiasco, Dr Feelgood and the rise of Dury and Costello.

Last Shops Standing by Graham Jones - a tour of the country's remaining independent record shops and a potted history of the record industry in one. However, you may want to shoot his proof-reader.

The Last Party by John Harris - a thorough and revealing look at the rise and fall of Britpop and the parallel rise and fall of New Labour.

On my "to be read" list...

Alex James - A Bit Of A Blur (yes Elfy, I will get round to reading this one :P)

Dave Nolan - I Swear I Was There. All about the legendary gigs that ten times more people appear to recall going to than were physically capable of being at B)

Greg Milner - Perfecting Sound Forever. A history of recorded sound, which is particualrly attractive to me as the review I read mentioned Milner expressing his dislike of the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Howard Goodall - Big Bangs. Four inventions/discoveries that changed the world of music forever. Not sure what they are, but will be interesting to find out.

Oh and I forgot to mention Cider With Roadies by Stuart Maconie, but then I guess everybody's read that.

Edited by Sipperana

Frogworthy....I found them in another book which is probably something you should read....

Alice Miller's - The Drama of Being a Child

It also includes- Therapy? Primal Scream, Dirty Projections, Transitional Objects and The Kissing Giraffes. Most importantly it includes a whole chapter on the Freudian Slaps inspiration... The Mothers - Live in the Tipi Tent 1971

Edited by M.G.Frogworthy