Car parks to open at 8pm on Tuesday?

Guest t0paz

This would make a lot of sense if a traffc sense, but would it not just result in there being massive queues at the actual entrace come 8 AM. As I imagine all those in the car park will want to be in there as soon as the doors open, I know I will be

yep, there'd be big queues for people waiting to walk into the site itself, but that affects no one but those people. It's far better than there being traffic chaos on the roads, which I imagine annoys the locals hugely.

There'll be a Q whenever they open the gates, although perhaps (just perhaps) making it 'earlier' rather than 'later' will spread the traffic out a weenie bit?

OTOH, getting to rural anywhere from urban somewhere - does mean not having to leave at rude o'clock in the morning to get there... <_<

Why not just open the festival the night before but state NO ENTERTAINMENT WILL BE HAPPENING

Cos the licence won't allow it.

They could try to vary the licence I guess, but I reckon it's unlikely they'd be allowed to otherwise it could just keep on being extended.

There'd also be huge extra costs to the festival if they managed to do that, as all of the site staff would have to be in place to comply with the licence terms.

As the car parks are outside of the licenced area it's not a big issue to just open those, tho I'd guess it would still need the licence to be varied a little, for the traffic management plans. I'd guess that the council would be sympathetic towards those minor changes to that tho because of its beneficial effects for locals thru less traffic chaos.

Cos the licence won't allow it.

They could try to vary the licence I guess, but I reckon it's unlikely they'd be allowed to otherwise it could just keep on being extended.

There'd also be huge extra costs to the festival if they managed to do that, as all of the site staff would have to be in place to comply with the licence terms.

As the car parks are outside of the licenced area it's not a big issue to just open those, tho I'd guess it would still need the licence to be varied a little, for the traffic management plans. I'd guess that the council would be sympathetic towards those minor changes to that tho because of its beneficial effects for locals thru less traffic chaos.

Why don't they just not have any 'big' bands on like Maximo Park before the Friday, (waste of effort that was having 100,000 people trying to see an average band in an area where 100,000 people can't fit).

If they announce the line up nearer the time and have minimal on before Friday as has happened every other year when there has been no traffic problems then surely that will reduce the number of people wanting to arrive before Thursday at least

Its 185 quid, so people want the most out of their money... which is why we all turn up of the wed rather than the friday.

However, the traffic problems last year were due to an unfortunate set of circumstances on the motorways in addition to Festival traffic. I've never seen it so bad!! There will always be bad traffic... 175k people desending on a small village in Somerset! What do people expect! I'll be amazed if it goes ahead, and I think we have to hope, that there are no bad accidents and things flow (slowly) as usual.

I disagree with the carparks opening earlier, as I do with the festival opening earlier and there being entertainment on site from wednesday.

I think if the car parks open at 8pm it will horrible - sitting in your car all night to be first in the Q on the Wed? It's nuts.

I think maybe they should have a staggered ticket issue, something other than just shifting the problem back a few days.

Not that it matters what I think, but 8pm car parks openeing is a dire thought.

Festival goers already do that the Tuesday night. Only difference will be that they will be able to park at Pilton (rather than in surrounding areas) once the pubs shut. I assume there won't be any potential for people to park the car and then walk to surrounding areas if they put a 'no re-entry on foot' restriction on the car parks? Not that there is anywhere close to go anyway.

Hazel

i can see pro's and con's with this idea...

yes it would reduce the traffic problem of cars Q'ing on the roads before the gates open 8am Wednesday...but surely it's just shifting the problem to 12 hours before...then the Q's will be at 8pm Tuesday instead...

(car parks) would they legally have to provide water & toilet facilities ? (which it states in that article), but as they don't want to actually 'encourage' people to come earlier, so they probably won't provide burger vans etc.

people will end up bringing their own sarnies, pies, snacks, pop, alcohol etc...and some people will maybe use their cooking stoves or BBQ's (if the weather is fine)...fire risk ?

and some people will put up their tents instead of sleeping in the car, so there'll be loads of tents all over the place...

what about security ? if you have thousands of people stuck in one place with nothing to do but drink...public disorder ?

i thought the idea mentioned (by Michael Eavis?) of opening the site on the Monday would have been better, to spread out the numbers of people arriving on the roads, in the car parks & entrance gates...

not everyone can get all that time off work & how many people would want to be there FOUR DAYS before the festival starts ? me and my friends would - it would be our main holiday !

i heard that 90% (approx) of ticket holders were on site by Thursday this year, so by opening the gates early on Monday or Tuesday, would that spread the load a bit ?

i like getting there early to get a good pitch & explore the site...i'm not bothered about being entertained, as i can make my own :huh:

Why don't they just not have any 'big' bands on like Maximo Park before the Friday, (waste of effort that was having 100,000 people trying to see an average band in an area where 100,000 people can't fit).

oh c'mon - it was nowhere near 100,000 - there aren't 100,000 Maximo Park fans in the world. :):huh:

And that tent only holds around 4,000 I reckon, not 10,000.

I just think that they kind of advertised it more as a 5 day festival last year and made a big point of Maximo park kicking the whole thing off on the Thursday. Other years they have just highlighted the main 3 days but have always allowed campers onsite from Weds, allowing people more freedom to choose when they go without fear of missing any of their favourite bands. I fail to believe that it was the accidents that caused the traffic because was it not mentioned that this year saw the biggest number of people on site on Wednesday ever.. and I am pretty sure it is not the accidents that attracted these extra people

yes it would reduce the traffic problem of cars Q'ing on the roads before the gates open 8am Wednesday...but surely it's just shifting the problem to 12 hours before...then the Q's will be at 8pm Tuesday instead...

nah - it would spread the early arrivals across a greater time, meaning that there should be less queuing on the roads outside.

And there'd be no reason to turn up on the dot of 8pm, as there would be no advantage over turning up at 9pm, 10pm, 11pm, etc, etc, etc. So it really WOULD spread the problem with traffic.

Opening the site to ticketholders earlier (such as Monday or Tuesday) instead doesn't really spread the problems, because they'd still be lots and lots of people who'd want to turn up for when it opened - and so there'd be the same problems as this year, at least to some extent.

oh c'mon - it was nowhere near 100,000 - there aren't 100,000 Maximo Park fans in the world. :huh::)

And that tent only holds around 4,000 I reckon, not 10,000.