Bestival 2010

Guest SharonStoned

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also how much is the ferry over and how far is the festival once you get onto the island?

The ferry will shaft you for as much as they possibly can. ;)

I made a late booking (on the Thursday or Friday) to go out from Soton to East Cowes on Sat lunchtime and back 8:30pm Sunday, and it cost about £55 going out and £30 coming back (for a car + 2 adults).

If I'd have wanted to go on Thursday or Friday and come back Monday, it would have been double that, with crap availability of sailings.

The best timed sailings get booked up early, meaning that only crap timings might be available - the guy who's been covering bestival for a number of years for efests has come back on a 7:30pm or 8:30pm Monday sailing as that's the earliest he's been able to get. Which means a day stuck on the island, a pain if your time is valuable to you.

I'd guess the site is around 10 or 15 miles from Cowes (just about right in the middle of the island), it's not a big drive.

1st time at bestival, it is Lots of fun,seeing everyone dressed up particulary on saturday was brilliant, as was watching the crowd watching prodigy - an amazing amount of energy! A shame I didnt manage to spot any efesters.

It was nice seeing an event which essentially is still in its infancy and manages to have a free and spontaneous vibe in times when events can too quickly become a bit of a machine, hope Rob da Bank et al manage to keep it that way for years to come.

Well I think travelling there is only gonna get worse as it gets more popular, they'll have to move it eventually as it grows i'd have thought.

This was my first year too and it was the best festival i've been to. My only problems were how ridiculously crowded it was, I just felt like human traffic at night. Also drinks were a bloody rip off!

No offence but am I the only person who thinks the idea of moving the festival because it's tricky to get to is funny? I mean I've not been yet but I'd assume that part of the magic of the festival is the location - if you put it on Capham Common so it's easier to get to it wouldn't quite be the same, would it? You wouldn't suggest moving the Isle of Wight Festival, would you?

The ferry will shaft you for as much as they possibly can. ;)

I made a late booking (on the Thursday or Friday) to go out from Soton to East Cowes on Sat lunchtime and back 8:30pm Sunday, and it cost about £55 going out and £30 coming back (for a car + 2 adults).

If I'd have wanted to go on Thursday or Friday and come back Monday, it would have been double that, with crap availability of sailings.

The best timed sailings get booked up early, meaning that only crap timings might be available - the guy who's been covering bestival for a number of years for efests has come back on a 7:30pm or 8:30pm Monday sailing as that's the earliest he's been able to get. Which means a day stuck on the island, a pain if your time is valuable to you.

I'd guess the site is around 10 or 15 miles from Cowes (just about right in the middle of the island), it's not a big drive.

7.30pm wasn't the earliest I could get but it was one of the cheaper crossings. I booked a couple of months ago and could have booked an early morning job for the same price (in fact I did at first - 7.30am - but then decided I didn't want that crimp on my Sunday night shenanigins so changed it for a late one! :D ). Cost was £78 return this year so still not cheap but I pad more last year (20% off this year if you used the bestival code..)

Well I think travelling there is only gonna get worse as it gets more popular, they'll have to move it eventually as it grows i'd have thought.

This was my first year too and it was the best festival i've been to. My only problems were how ridiculously crowded it was, I just felt like human traffic at night. Also drinks were a bloody rip off!

I thought it was overcrowded this year tbh. If the site isn't at capacity now then the transport systems (ferrys, roads buses etc) surely are so I don't think it can get any bigger now. They're in danger of diminishing returns due to the amount of people put off by the hassle getting on/off the island. The bulk of the crowds are usually shipped out by Monday evening but this year it took me 2 hours to drive the 4 miles from Newport to East Cowes, missed my ferry and only managed to get on the next one as a 'stand-by' presumably because the some of the folk booked on that one were still stuck in the queue behind me!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello there, my name is Harriet Trower and I'm a third year student at the University of Leeds studying Human Geography, for my dissertation this year I am researching into sustainable music festivals with Bestival being my main case study.

Anyone who attended THE YEAR OF THE FANTASTIC could you please spare a few minutes to fill in my dissertation survey. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much!

http://www.smart-survey.co.uk/v.asp?i=27415rqddn

Hello there, my name is Harriet Trower and I'm a third year student at the University of Leeds studying Human Geography, for my dissertation this year I am researching into sustainable music festivals with Bestival being my main case study.

Anyone who attended THE YEAR OF THE FANTASTIC could you please spare a few minutes to fill in my dissertation survey. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much!

http://www.smart-survey.co.uk/v.asp?i=27415rqddn