The Beatles

Cardboard Box City

I like how apple revealed it as a big announcement. The fact that you can now buy music from a band that have been around half a century, but for obvious reasons don't actually make any new music. Exciting news apple

If I cared I would be distinctly underwhelmed

i was talking about this on facebook with a beatles geek. i asked what's the big difference between the mp3's i ripped from the cd's i bought and these itunes files. and the response was 'you can now buy them digitally' and she is doing. nutter!

• 3 weeks later...

30 years ago tomorrow.

Where were you when you heard about Lennon's death?

I was 8 and have no recollection of it whatsoever. :huh:

I was 15 months old, same thing. I do have the newspaper from the next day though that my Mum kept. Scary reading. That documentary on ITV last night was depressing too.

30 years ago tomorrow.

Where were you when you heard about Lennon's death?

I was 8 and have no recollection of it whatsoever. :huh:

What sort of Lennon deathday post is that?! Learn from the master, bitch:

John Lennon was an English rock musician who gained worldwide fame as one of the founders of The Beatles, for his subsequent solo career, and for his political activism. He was shot dead by Mark David Chapman at the entrance of the building where he lived, The Dakota, on Monday, 8 December 1980; Lennon had just returned from the Record Plant Studio with his wife, Yoko Ono.

Lennon was pronounced dead on arrival at St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, where it was stated that nobody could have lived for more than a few minutes after sustaining such injuries. Shortly after local news stations reported Lennon's death, crowds gathered at Roosevelt Hospital and in front of The Dakota. He was cremated on 10 December 1980, at the Ferncliff Cemetery in Hartsdale, New York; the ashes were given to Ono, who chose not to hold a funeral for him.

On the morning of 8 December 1980, photographer Annie Leibovitz went to Ono and Lennon's apartment to do a photo shoot for Rolling Stone. She had promised Lennon a photo with Ono would make the cover, but initially tried to get a picture with just Lennon alone. Leibovitz recalled that "nobody wanted [Ono] on the cover". Lennon insisted that both he and his wife be on the cover, and after shooting the pictures, Leibovitz left their apartment. After the photo shoot Lennon gave what would be his last ever interview to San Francisco DJ Dave Sholin for a music show on the RKO Radio Network. At 5:00 p.m., Lennon and Ono left their apartment to mix the track "Walking on Thin Ice", an Ono song featuring Lennon on lead guitar, at Record Plant Studio.

As Lennon and Ono walked to their limousine, they were approached by several people seeking autographs, among them Mark David Chapman. It was common for fans to wait outside the Dakota to see Lennon and get his autograph. Chapman, a 25-year-old hospital worker from Honolulu, Hawaii, had first come to New York to kill Lennon in November but changed his mind and returned home. He silently handed Lennon a copy of Double Fantasy, and Lennon obliged with an autograph. After signing the album Lennon politely asked him, "Is this all you want?" Chapman nodded in agreement. Photographer and Lennon fan Paul Goresh snapped a photo of the encounter.

Police artist's drawing of the murder The Lennons spent several hours at the Record Plant studio before returning to the Dakota at about 10:50 p.m. Lennon decided against eating out so he could be home in time to say goodnight to five-year-old son Sean before he went to sleep. They exited their limousine on 72nd Street, even though the car could have been driven into the more secure courtyard.

The Dakota's doorman, Jose Perdomo, and a cab driver saw Chapman standing in the shadows by the archway. Ono walked ahead of Lennon and into the reception area. As Lennon passed by, Chapman fired five hollow-point bullets at Lennon from a Charter Arms .38 Special revolver. Numerous radio, television, and newspaper reports claimed at the time that, before firing, Chapman called out "Mr. Lennon" and dropped into a "combat stance", but this is not stated in court hearings or witness interviews. Chapman has said he did not remember calling out Lennon's name before he shot him. One shot missed, passing over Lennon's head and hitting a window of the Dakota building. However, two shots struck Lennon in the left side of his back and two more penetrated his left shoulder. All four bullets inflicted severe gunshot wounds, with at least one of them piercing Lennon's aorta. Lennon staggered up five steps to the security/reception area, said, "I'm shot," and collapsed. Concierge Jay Hastings covered Lennon with his uniform, and removed his glasses; he then summoned the police.

The entrance to the Dakota building where Lennon was shotOutside, doorman Perdomo shook the gun out of Chapman's hand then kicked it across the sidewalk. Chapman then removed his coat and hat in preparation for the police arrival to show he was not carrying any concealed weapons and sat down on the sidewalk. Doorman Perdomo shouted at Chapman, "Do you know what you've done?", to which Chapman calmly replied, "Yes, I just shot John Lennon." The first policemen to arrive were Steve Spiro and Peter Cullen, who were at 72nd Street and Broadway when they heard a report of shots fired at the Dakota. The officers found Chapman sitting "very calmly" on the sidewalk. They reported that Chapman had dropped the revolver to the ground, and was holding a paperback book, J.D. Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye. Chapman had scribbled a message on the book's inside front cover: "To Holden Caulfield. From Holden Caulfield. This is my statement." He would later claim that his life mirrored that of Holden Caulfield, the protagonist of the book.

Side view of Dakota entryway showing steps Lennon climbed before collapsing in the lobbyThe second team, Officers Bill Gamble and James Moran, arrived a few minutes later. They immediately carried Lennon into their squad car and rushed him to Roosevelt Hospital. Officer Moran said they placed Lennon on the back seat. Moran asked, "Do you know who you are?" There are conflicting accounts on what happened next. In one account, Lennon nodded slightly and tried to speak, but could only manage to make a gurgling sound, and lost consciousness shortly thereafter.

Lennon was pronounced dead on arrival in the emergency room at the Roosevelt Hospital at 11:15 p.m. by Dr. Stephan Lynn. The cause of death was reported as hypovolemic shock, caused by the loss of more than 80% of blood volume. Dr. Elliott M. Gross, the Chief Medical Examiner, said that no one could have lived more than a few minutes with such multiple bullet injuries. As Lennon was shot four times with hollow-point bullets, which expand upon entering the target and severely disrupt more tissue as they travel through the target, Lennon's affected organs were virtually destroyed upon impact. Ono, crying "Oh no, no, no, no... tell me it's not true," was taken to Roosevelt Hospital and led away in shock after she learned that her husband was dead. The following day, Ono issued a statement: "There is no funeral for John. John loved and prayed for the human race. Please do the same for him. Love, Yoko and Sean."

:(

Edited by Cardboard Box City

To be fair. I did intend to make a post for George's deathday a few weeks ago but forgot about it by the time the day came around (it was last Monday [November 29th]).

So while I'm at it...

Harrison developed throat cancer, which was discovered in 1997 after a lump on his neck was analysed. He attributed it to his smoking in the 1960s. He was successfully treated with radiotherapy. Early in May 2001, it was revealed that he had undergone an operation at the Mayo Clinic to remove a cancerous growth from one of his lungs. In July of that year, it was reported that Harrison was receiving radiotherapy for a brain tumour at a clinic in Switzerland.

In November 2001, Harrison began radiotherapy at Staten Island University Hospital in New York City for lung cancer which had metastasised to his brain. In a complaint later brought on behalf of Harrison's estate, it was alleged that while under the care of the hospital, Dr. Gilbert Lederman, a radiation oncologist, repeatedly revealed Harrison's confidential medical information during television interviews and forced him to autograph a guitar. The complaint alleges that Dr. Lederman and his family came to visit Harrison and began singing, and that, in laboured breaths, Harrison said, "Please...stop...talking." Later, Dr. Lederman allegedly had his son play the guitar for George. The complaint alleges that after the performance, Dr. Lederman asked Harrison for an autograph on the guitar, and that Harrison responded, "I do not even know if I know how to sign my name any more." Dr. Lederman then allegedly took Harrison's hand and guided his hand along to spell his name while encouraging him by saying, "Come on, George. You can do this. G-E-O...". The suit was ultimately settled out of court under the condition that the guitar be "disposed of".

Despite the treatments and operations, Harrison died on 29 November 2001 at a Hollywood Hills mansion that was once leased by McCartney and was previously owned by Courtney Love. The cause of death was listed on his Los Angeles County death certificate as "metastatic non-small cell lung cancer". He was cremated at Hollywood Forever Cemetery and his ashes were scattered in the Ganges River by his close family in a private ceremony according to Hindu tradition. He left almost £100 million in his will.

In 2002, on the first anniversary of Harrison's death, the Concert for George was held at the Royal Albert Hall; it was organised by Eric Clapton and included performances by many of Harrison's musical friends, including Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr. The profits from the concert went to Harrison's charity, the Material World Charitable Foundation.

• 4 weeks later...

where did the story about it moving originate?

The Sun? I’ve no idea, its defo still there, right outside Abbey Road. I broke up with my girlfriend outside there once, selfish mare was giving out that there was so much traffic so it took, like two minutes extra, of her time to get a photo of me crossing despite the fact we'd been doing "her stuff" for two days. I can tolerate a lot in a relationship, physical drunken abuse, baseless jealousy, pain in the arse mother in law etc but when you start f**king about with photos of my first time at Abbey Road......

YOU'RE OUTTA THERE!!

032010BSEvsGTech_Bakich_smo02.jpg

Edited by The Nal
  • Upvote 2

:D

had a similar episode with a girl friend who I took to see Led Zeppelin at Wembley Arena. About half way through it, she announced she was bored, so could we go home..... :blink: ... errrmm ...no?

"ok, well I'll go on my own"... hoping I'd follow her I presume, which I didn't. She went, but hung around outside 'til the end for me... :(

I s'pose I shouldn't have assumed she'd like them

Or she should’ve just shut her mouth for the couple of hours knowing you we’re enjoying it, God knows we do it enough. “I really enjoyed that lovely meal with your family, really”. :lol::rolleyes:

Been watching a lot of the Anthology recently and downloaded "Turn Left at Greenland”, documentary of the Beatles in America. For completists only really, lots of screaming fans and poor quality footage but a lot of rare stuff. Im at the stage where a 10 second clip of Lennon packing his suitcase is interesting to me so Im loving it. Its about 20 hours worth of stuff.

I'd love to go to Abbey Road one day.

Has anybody ever been on the tours around Liverpool? http://www.beatlestours.co.uk/

Been looking into this and considering going some point later this year. Would have to be the All Day Tour :P

Also managed to get The Beatles Stereo Boxset a week before christmas, £87 brand new off ebay.

my daughter did... vaguely entertaining was the verdict

there's a webcam... :huh:

shame it isn't positioned from the original photographers viewpoint

just watched it there and, oh look, someone is posing! has anyone been mowed down yet by a pissed off driver?

i never realised that the parochial house used in father ted is a popular spot for visitors too. was a couple came all the way from australia to have their photo taken beside it!

• Downvote 1

The day I spent at Abbey Road is the most hungover ive ever been in my entire life.

Night before i necked 2/3 of a bottle of sambuca, passed out, puked it all up on my sister in law's floor. Nephew ran into my room at 6.45am repeatedly roaring "ITS WAKEY UPPY TIME!" at the top of his lungs until I got up.

The photos of me at the door to the studio have me resembling sommink like this:

rancor.jpg