The Beatles

Cardboard Box City

• 2 weeks later...

I dont think so. I think the end of them touring was the real issue, they were on borrowed time after that. He didn't really have much to do after they stopped touring anyway.

They could have gone back on tour in the 1970s. Brian had little to do in the studio-years but he would have prevented the friction created by Paul's ambitious need to direct and control the band and the cracks that appeared in relationships as a result.

They could have gone back on tour in the 1970s. Brian had little to do in the studio-years but he would have prevented the friction created by Paul's ambitious need to direct and control the band and the cracks that appeared in relationships as a result.

I dont think Lennon would've been keen for a tour, George certainly wasn't. It was mainly George that put the brakes on touring around Let it Be when they others wanted to, especially Paul. But Lennon or George didnt tour at all in the 70s. Lennon only played, I think, two gigs between 1966 and his death? The Plastic Ono Band in Montreal and the Madison Square Garden gig is all I can think of. Two gigs in 14 years.

I've never seen a beatles film.

Hard Days Night is a masterpiece.

It came with four a4 pictures of the band. Each piccy signed by each beatle. Apart from John signed the Ringo photo, the scamp.

Got a black and White photo of my dad meeting them when he got them signed too.

Number 7543 if anyone really cares.

Apart from John signed the Ringo photo, the scamp.

17_youknowhimbetter_acasualacquaintance.jpg

MILLIE

(as all pass)

Hello.

JOHN

(stopping... the boys carry on past, not noticing her)

Hello.

MILLIE

Oh, wait a minute, don't tell me you're ...

JOHN

No, not me.

MILLIE

(insistently)

Oh you are, I know you are.

JOHN

No, I'm not.

MILLIE

You are.

JOHN

I'm not, no.

MILLIE

Well, you look like him.

JOHN

Oh do I? You're the first one who ever said that.

MILLIE

Oh you do, look.

JOHN looks at himself in the mirror.

JOHN examines himself in the mirror carefully.

JOHN

My eyes are lighter.

MILLIE

(agreeing)

Oh yes.

JOHN

And my nose...

MILLIE

Well, yes your nose is. Very.

JOHN

Is it?

MILLIE

I would have said so.

JOHN

Aye, but you know him well.

MILLIE

(indignantly)

No I don't, he's only a casual acquaintance.

JOHN

(knowingly)

That's what you tell me.

MILLIE

(suspiciously)

What have you heard?

JOHN

(blandly)

It's all over the place, everyone knows.

MILLIE

Is it? Is it really?

JOHN

Mind you, I stood up for you, I mean I wouldn't have it.

MILLIE

I knew I could rely on you.

JOHN

(modestly)

Thanks.

MILLIE touches his arm then walks away. After a moment she turns.

MILLIE

You don't look like him at all.

JOHN winks at her and she winks back.

- - -

Simon you really need to see A Hard Day's Night - if only for this scene. The full spectrum of Lennon's personality is captured in just over a minute. It is gorgeous stuff.

really...?

by who?

:P

is it a numbered edition...? must be worth a bit..

It is indeed. I don't know how much it's worth. Probably as much as Oaf earns in a year ;)

Perfectly safe to do things like that in here. Oaf never posts in threads about music ;)

It was at an airport lounge somewhere, btw, that my dad got it signed. He was going to Italy, and they were coming from somewhere, I don't know where. He had just bought the album about a week earlier, so it's only ever been played about five or six times. He went and bought another copy when he got to Italy.

It's still his, but he's going to leave it for me. He's already given me his original pressings of Abbey Road, Let it Be and Revolver. And the replacement copy of the White Album. No 0117030.

I'm listening to it now. So much nicer on the vinyl. And that scratch at the start of Dear Prudence? It doesn't sound right to me without that scratch at the start of Dear Prudence.

Ive a load of inherited vinyl from the old boy. Pepper with all the cutouts, numbered White Album with pics and fold out sheet, Let it Be with the book, Abbey Road, With the Beatles, Hard Days Night, Magical Mystery Tour. All mint. Must take them for a spin. White album has only ever been played once!

I've got a stack of my old man's stuff - Everley Brothers, Buddy Holly, Beatles, Stones, Little Feat, f**king lush. I love just spreading them all around and picking a song here or there and putting that needle in the groove. Takes me back to my childhood. Brilliant.

I've got a stack of my old man's stuff - Everley Brothers, Buddy Holly, Beatles, Stones, Little Feat, f**king lush. I love just spreading them all around and picking a song here or there and putting that needle in the groove. Takes me back to my childhood. Brilliant.

Woodersons been investing in a lot of vinyl lately. As soon as I get out of the kip Im in at the moment Ill be cranking it up too. Id be similar to you with the inherited vinyl, Sticky Fingers with the zip on the cover! Beautiful.

Woodersons been investing in a lot of vinyl lately. As soon as I get out of the kip Im in at the moment Ill be cranking it up too. Id be similar to you with the inherited vinyl, Sticky Fingers with the zip on the cover! Beautiful.

Latest addition to the vinyl is "Spirit of Eden". Hearing "I Believe In You" the other night was spesh. Amazing how it inadvertantly gave way to the law enforcing recording artists to make wilfully commercial music.

Dunno if it sounds quite as good as "Colour of Spring" though.

• 4 weeks later...