The Beatles

Cardboard Box City

Have you got Anthology 3? There is some right shite on that record that thankfully never made it to an album. I think one is called What's The New Mary Jane? It's complete bollocks. Another bad one that never made it was Teddy Boy. Again, dreadful.

Though they didn't add All Things Must Pass onto an album. One of George's best ever songs IMHO.

I have and agree. Some right old dross. By, hey All Things Must Pass might not be as revered as it is if it had been sandwiched inbetween Across the Universe and Let it Be, y'know.

I'm not going to harp on any longer about Bob Dylan, but Harrison fans should listen to the version of "If Not For You" on Bob Dylan's Bootleg Series. George's playing on it is great.

so then you thought you'd ruin it for everyone else? :D

I didn't actually. I just said I didn't like it very much. It was only when you told me that I was wrong about it that I had to mention it. But you know best hey :D

Edited by sifimaster

I never used to like Altogether Now, but I've been singing it to my little boy recently and he laughs his little head off at it (well, at me most likely) so it's regained some charm!

Probably the shittest lyrics they wrote though.

Thinking about it - in 1968 and 1969, they recorded 3 albums, one of which was a double album. And then Abbey Road has these short songs beautifully crafted together. That is a LOT of songs in only 18 months or so. Quite phenomenal.

I don't think it's that phenomonal. By today's standards it is, but I think those were the demands of the time.

What were the three albums they recorded in 68 and 69 anyhow? Does that include Let it Be?

Bob did the same in the mid sixties, Hendrix, the Stones were all knocking 'em out quickly, weren't they? The Cream?

Edited by sifimaster

I can't believe they haven't included Don't Pass Me By on the game. Best Ringo song by a country mile!

love that song sooo much

I want you (she's so heavy) - the lone moment of rock indulgence (well maybe Helter Skelter, but I love that song). I've always though Maxwell's silver Hammer gets a bad rep, It's not even the worst song on Abbey Road...

:D I Want You is fantastic... a primal scream of such intensity. One of the greatest songs/performances by anyone.... ever...

the build of white noise towards the end, the sudden end.. and Paul's bass playing is just phenomenal

I want you is the best Beatles song! It could be released today and it would sound more forward thinking than most stuff being released (guitar wise)! The building noise at the end sends shivers even now.

I Want You

Tomorrow never Knows

Within Without You

Don't let me Down

absolute creative genius.

I Want You

Tomorrow never Knows

Within Without You

Don't let me Down

Fine choices, sir.

And I do LOVE the Tomorrow Never Knows/Within Without You mix on the Love album.

thanks to rock band, i think im finding out that harrison is my new 2nd favourite beatle. behind mccartney obviously. john who?

George has always been my favourite. Always was. Always seemed coolest. John was too bitchy, Paul was too thumbs aloft groovy. Ringo obviously never got a look in. George was the outsider. Cool.

I was less than cool when I met him in a flower shop in Delhi once, mind. My Dad was. He talked to him about when he saw them at the Gaumont in Doncaster in 1962. I just kinda went to bits. Rubbish.

I'm Only Sleeping :D

Right, big question of the day:

Favourite Beatles album(s)? You can pick up to three.

Abbey Road

Pepper

Revolver

Though I imagine that question is like asking who your favourite kid is. If you had that many kids. Any answer is reasonable except Yellow Submarine, which is the tearaway chav kid who set fire to the house, crashed the car, pissed on the dog and sold your season ticket to the football to buy a Kasabian album.

I've never really liked that one.

think its my favourite one. dunno why.

*edit* actually i do know why. just looked at the trackklist and its amazin from start to finish. i think other albums may have some better songs, but as a complete album its my favourite.

and i'd say yellow submarine is probably better than the first two. i don't even have them now.

Edited by ampersand

Is Magical Mystery Tour classed as an album? It was an EP originally wasn't it? I've got it as an EP in my EP box set thing at home, I'm sure.

For me it's almost a compilation.

Magical Mystery Tour is the name of the 11-song album and 6-song double EP by the English rock band The Beatles, first released as an LP on 27 November 1967 and on 8 December 1967 as a double EP. It is the soundtrack to a one-hour television film of the same name that was filmed in color, but originally aired in black and white in the UK, in 1967. Initially packaged as a double EP in the UK, the recording was expanded to a full album on concurrent U.S. release, adding several recent singles to the B-side. This has since been adopted by Apple and EMI when the Beatles' discography was being put on Compact Disc, and is the only US release of theirs for which this was done.

so says wikipedia. its an album for me.

so says wikipedia. its an album for me.

Fair enough squire. Does seem to be a bit of a carve up to me. Which is why I can't compare it to say Abbey Road, or even Pepper, which are definately albums. Verging on concepts, but certainly with underlying musical themes. Whereas Magical Mystery Tour just seems like a collection of songs.

Does that make sense? Anyone?

Fair enough squire. Does seem to be a bit of a carve up to me. Which is why I can't compare it to say Abbey Road, or even Pepper, which are definately albums. Verging on concepts, but certainly with underlying musical themes. Whereas Magical Mystery Tour just seems like a collection of songs.

I know what you mean, but how does it compare to Dylan? :D

i understand what youre saying but cant say i agree.

i think it souds very albummy. more so than the likes of the white album anyway.