Please can we have Regents campsite back ?

Guest rseamer

SS 2009 was superb. The best yet ...Saturday in particular was UTTERLY brilliant musically. And I have to say that the DMH security staff are the most helpful and friendly staff I have had the pleasure to come across at many a festival. Such a good team - thanks to everyone involved.

Just one small bit on negative feedback. The changes to the family / quiet area weren't so good...the so called 'family / quiet' camping was not very well marked. This led to several groups who wanted to have a noisy good old time camping up in this area, which although tolerated probably wasn't that welcome. Also during the night several 'youths' seemed to take great delight in running from the main campsite through the quiet area screaming their heads off.

Please please can we have the lovely Regents campsite back, that worked so well ? Or failing that at least some big signs clearly showing that a particular area is designated quiet / family campsite and maybe a few features to separate the area a little more ? I certainly don't want to spoil the enjoyment of those who want to party all night, but for those who have kids, they do appreciate a little more sleep !

But other than this I am only full of praise for the festival. Thanks !

I agree. I did initially plan to go to quiet camping due to wanting some sleep at night as the days are packed enough already but had no idea where to head to, I was going to ask but just opted for a decent location in the end. Yes it was noisy at night but from where I was (nearby where the camper vans etc were parked as you enter the camp site) it seemed the late night noise would carry everywhere. I'd love to be back in Regents next year.

I agree. I did initially plan to go to quiet camping due to wanting some sleep at night as the days are packed enough already but had no idea where to head to, I was going to ask but just opted for a decent location in the end. Yes it was noisy at night but from where I was (nearby where the camper vans etc were parked as you enter the camp site) it seemed the late night noise would carry everywhere. I'd love to be back in Regents next year.

We simply couldn't believe it when we saw that the 'out of hours' route into the campsite brought people through the 'quiet area.'

We spoke to Ken, the ultra helpful Security man about this, and he said that he was stunned when he saw it on the plans.

It was just SO noisy.

Every night, well after what we assumed to be curfew time, there was a stall in the village blasting out dance music - I think it was coming from the Indian food stall.

Mrs. Butch however was unmoved by this - she went to the RNID tent and picked up some of their £1 ear plugs, and slept through it all! :blink:

Richard: Please send us back to Regents next year, with Ken to look after us all again

Edited by butchwade

Is there any scope for quiet and family camping to still be on Victoria but in an entirely separate area such as behind the village (if coming from the main arena) with general (but still 'socially responsible behaviour expected') sited to the right handside.

this would take up a similar area of victoria (although perhaps more costly fencing), and mean that familes and sensible people were still in closer proximity to the festival. this would rely on noise curfews being enforced in the village and potentially an alternative out of hours route.

if punters (and ok organisers as well) don't think it is a solution - i would add my support (although i can't speak for my colleagues) to the return to regents.

also i would like to take the opportunity to thank Ken for his valiant efforts to keep general camping clean and tidy and although there were still areas that were terrible on monday morming I estimate that it was at least half as bad as it was last year - ie the bad areas were half the size.

i think more needs to be done to get better behaviour on general camping (from the messy, noisy, unpleasant minority). i am not suggesting a hardline approach but more postive encouragement.

I would also have like to have more recycling points on the campsites, but these resources were needed on the main site - do people feel it would be worthwhile - would they have been used (or merely abused).

Edited by Completewasters

I'll admit that it was nice to be closer to the village and festival compared with staying on Regents.

We made the mistake of pitching close to the village, as my advancing years makes not having to walk half a mile to the urinals during the night a preference!

We did feel though, that there weren't enough toilets and sinks - I reckon that we had that amount just at Regents last year, and it was a right old trek to the showers.

(Big up to the Guardian for giving away those packs of wet-wipes with their newspaper!)

Maybe completewasters is right - having the quiet and family camp in a different part of Victoria park would be the way to go for next year.

Just need to rethink the out of hours route into the campsite!

More recycling on the campsites would be a good thing.

It's very hard to understand the mentality of some people who just chuck their crap on the ground rather than walk a few yards.

Any efforts to cut down on this has to be a good thing.

We had a walk across Victoria Park to the shops on Saturday, and it was so depressing to see how much obvious festival rubbish (empty cans, pizza boxes etc) had been discarded there.

I know this is outside the festival boundaries, but maybe more recycling bins around the car park area might have helped a little.

And once again, a big vote of thanks to Ken - the guy is an absolute legend.

I've always gone on Regent's before but really enjoyed being in the main camping area this time. Earplugs are the key - just stick 'em in when you've had enough, works a treat. That said if my kids were little i'd want to be a bit further away from the hurly burly...

Apart from the extra loud shit-suckers soothing my hangover (like a road drill) for 30 minutes on Saturday morning - I actually slept well in quiet camping. Obviously I'm more sensitive to noise in the mornings.

On balance I'd go for a return to regents and keep the asian grub foundation pumpin! ;)

Ohh! Hello!!

Old gits? My arse!

I do apologise if we were a bit.. 'excitable' toward the end of the weekend ;)

It was lovely to meet you both.. and now I can put names to at least a couple of faces!

here we go ..........i get really cheesed off with all those peeople who constantly moan about the noise on the camp sites at ss. it happens every year, whatever the arrangements for camping are. ss is a music festival which appeals to a fairly ecletic audience and i estimate there were about 3000 people camping, therefore is it not reasonable to expect a degree of noise.

attending a festival is about fun and escape, it is a social event and people should have a right to continue to celebrate the festival until the early hours. the way some on here blather on it seems they would be happy if we were all marched back to our tents at 11.00 pm and not let out until the curfew expires.

furthermore, i really enjoyed dancing in the indian foodie tent, there were no problems, there was a good spirit and people were smiling and enjoying themselves. on saturday the normally excellent security staff were too forceful and made everybody leave the village by around 1.00. i know this upset many people and i do not think it is unreasonable to expect the village to stay open until 2.00am on friday and saturday. for those who want to sleep before midnight buy some ear plugs or enter the festival spirit. if neither is a solution i am sure there is a garden fete happening somewhere local soon.

alfie in response...

should the festival absorb the extra cost of security for your extra hour in the village, should our litter picking volunteers be expected to be on site til 2.30am in the morning or be up before 9am to clear the village having worked and/or partied hard themselves? more and more is being offered at the festival each year yet the tickets prices stay the same... perhaps you would prefer a festival attended only by 2 or 3000 youths and party animals, with signicantly less on offer....

i'm sure there are also licensing considerations - no licence no festival. i'm not sure but i think the village exists in part to allow for an area that is open later, i might suggest it is not unreasonable for you to be grateful for it

is leicester so far away to go to a club or late licence bar. hahaha perhaps andy can extend the fringe to include late night stuff during the festival (if he wasn't working hard enough already!!!)

i take your point regarding ear plugs but they won't solve the issues that concern me

sorry if i am rambling but i've had approximately 4 hours sleep a night for the last week

furthermore, i really enjoyed dancing in the indian foodie tent, there were no problems, there was a good spirit and people were smiling and enjoying themselves. on saturday the normally excellent security staff were too forceful and made everybody leave the village by around 1.00. i know this upset many people and i do not think it is unreasonable to expect the village to stay open until 2.00am on friday and saturday.

Is anyone really moaning though?

Us boring old farts :lol: are just pointing out that we'd prefer to be back on Regents next year, s'all.

I'm certainly not having a go.. everyone wants something different from their weekend, naturally. SSW have always strived to make sure as many people, (as is possible) are happy.

Ooh, a garden fete you say?? :P

For the record, complete wasters, you rock!

Every year you work your bloody arses off, and it doesn't go unoticed. Fanks!

Whoever suggested that moving the regent to a loud campsite would actually work brilliantly!

I think people have to remember, whilst it is a family festival, it is a festival nonetheless and there is always going to be a certain level of noise to expect.

Edited by JakeBoz