Did the lineup attract more neds

Guest stevieg72

HAVING READ A FEW OF THE POST AND THREADS REGARDING THIS YEARS BELLA( I didnt make it due to the wife expecting our first baby) THERE SEEMS TO BE A GENERAL CONSENSUS THAT THERE WAS A LARGER NED ELEMENT THIS YEAR. HAVING BEEN TO THE PREVIOUS THREE BELLAS, I HAVE NEVER ENCOUNTERED ANY NEDS. SO WHATS DIFFRENT THIS YEAR?, COULD IT BE THE LINEUP?, OCS CAN ATTRACT A CERTAIN TYPE.

HAVING READ A FEW OF THE POST AND THREADS REGARDING THIS YEARS BELLA( I didnt make it due to the wife expecting our first baby) THERE SEEMS TO BE A GENERAL CONSENSUS THAT THERE WAS A LARGER NED ELEMENT THIS YEAR. HAVING BEEN TO THE PREVIOUS THREE BELLAS, I HAVE NEVER ENCOUNTERED ANY NEDS. SO WHATS DIFFRENT THIS YEAR?, COULD IT BE THE LINEUP?, OCS CAN ATTRACT A CERTAIN TYPE.
Edited by Discobadger

I wouldn't say it was neds in the T in the park sense, there appeared to be an element of young (possibly local) types about 16/17/18 who had been let off the leash.

A lot of these people have probably been going since they were 12-13 with their parents and have now roped in friends as they have gotten older.

As usual people seem to be picking on young people and demonising them. I saw one fight on the Friday between two men over 30 in the crowd at the Garden Stage. There were also many instances where young women in our group were approached by older drunk men. There were also occassions when young men displayed little sense of others safety by throwing things into the crowd. If there were any identifiable patterns to all of this it was probably the ever reliable mix of masculinity and booze.

This was my fourth Belladrum and the atmosphere was slightly different than usual - however still had a great time and will be back next year.

Yeah fair enough, only asking a question regarding the increase in rowdy behaviour, previous years at bella have seen less mainstream/popular lineups than this year. I was mainly asking if people thought this had an effect on the festival. I will retract the ocs statement ;)

i think it's ridiculous to blame the lineup for the rowdy youths who turn up. the MINORITY of the youths, the "neds", didn't go for the music, all they were there for was a piss up: no parents, no bedtime - ideal. and to be honest, i didnt see many of these neds down the bottom raving away to Editors.... This was my 3rd bella and yeah, i did find there was a lot more neds but i think it's only because bella is becoming better known, and seen to the locals as a mini Rockness.

i think it's ridiculous to blame the lineup for the rowdy youths who turn up. the MINORITY of the youths, the "neds", didn't go for the music, all they were there for was a piss up: no parents, no bedtime - ideal. and to be honest, i didnt see many of these neds down the bottom raving away to Editors.... This was my 3rd bella and yeah, i did find there was a lot more neds but i think it's only because bella is becoming better known, and seen to the locals as a mini Rockness.

If you know any 'ned' who likes Ocean Colour Scene, I'd love to meet them :huh:

I'm 16, know plenty 'neds' and to be honest, didn't see many there. Just people my age having a good time, like the majority of people there - young or old. The only trouble I heard about or saw was a couple arrests in the general campsite.... both I saw, which were MEN clearly over 30.

Getting a bit stereotypical about teenagers are we?

I'm over 40 and yep saw some teenagers who had far too much to drink and so what, so did I. It's a festival folks and attracts all sorts of people, the great thing about a festival is that you learn that it takes all types and there should be no distinction or discrimination. Please stop looking down your noses at people you know absolutely nothing about.

I met some very nice people and of course there were complete and utter gits. For instance the early hours of Sunday morning my husband and I were entertained by 2 17 year olds from Dingwall who told us that noone wanted to speak to them. A couple of the funniest, nicest folk you could meet. Gregor and Ashley if you're out there hello. :( However, on the Thursday night a middle aged respectable looking woman told me to F off quite forcefully for daring to ask if all 7 seats at her table were taken.

It's not neds, chavs, or whatever you like to call them that you need to worry about it's the ignorant prats that don't usually do festivals and don't want to know what they are about, that you have to watch. Unfortunately, far too often these days, they also get in on some hospitality pass and seem to think they are better than everyone who has actually paid :huh:

I have no problem with people of any age enjoying themselves.

But when anyone starts to show a lack of respect to the festival, the others around them and even themselves then they should be dealt with by security/festival organisers.

• 10 months later...

hi, I would say there were more young drunken unsupervised types,not necessarily Neds as others have said. The only thing that annoyed me was getting beer chucked on me in the Black Isle Brewery tent during the Tommy Reilly gig (I guess he attracts young uns but still), there seemed to be no bouncers there at that point and I wan't too impressed. Other than that no problems and I would hope maybe they increase the security if it's a sellout again this year as I mainly want to see Badly Drawn Boy and chances are he will be in that tent!