Suggestions For 2010 Line Up.

Guest Ed Leaf

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crikey, I like some of the bands, but I have to say that some of those as headliners/main acts is unlikely as they would probably bring in about 10 people, less in some cases.

And Hootie and the Blowfish are undeniably pants, Deathcab for Cutie are the stain in those pants and Fountain of Wayne are the pants that were replaced previously.

How about The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion.

Crikey, I like some of the bands, but I have to say that some of those as headliners/main acts is unlikely as they would probably bring in about 10 people, less in some cases.

And Hootie and the Blowfish are undeniably pants, Deathcab for Cutie are the stain in those pants and Fountain of Wayne are the pants that were replaced previously.

How about The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion.

well, you must admit hootie and the blowfish just makes me think of friends (isnt there an episode where they all go to watch said band).

i'll have a controversial punt :

the frank and walters. yes, very nineties, but they were ace at indietracks. and they make the best beautiful sunny afternoon pop music. and they're very funny.

well, you must admit hootie and the blowfish just makes me think of friends (isnt there an episode where they all go to watch said band).

i'll have a controversial punt :

the frank and walters. yes, very nineties, but they were ace at indietracks. and they make the best beautiful sunny afternoon pop music. and they're very funny.

It's too early to be listing bands just now, but some general suggestions - if a band played last year or this year and sucked or just weren't very good (I know it's very difficult for those involved in the organisation to admit it but there are quite a few bands that play each year that don't really cut it - anyone remember Morning Runner? Thought not), don't book them again for 2010, even if they're local (anyone remember...ok I won't mention them). If bands really went down well last year or this year, book them again, particularly if they've packed out one of the smaller stages. Get one or two of the classic Jamaican reggae stars that are still performing, one or two of the more intelligent US hip hop stars, and a few of the more interesting African artists on the bill - a 3-day festival can stand a little more variety. Don't let the line-up get formulaic - too many people seem to want a 'legends' slot here or a 'cheesy' slot there. And get the vegan takeaway stall back - I'm gonna be hungry this year.

Get one or two of the classic Jamaican reggae stars that are still performing, one or two of the more intelligent US hip hop stars, and a few of the more interesting African artists on the bill - a 3-day festival can stand a little more variety.
Edited by jackroy

It's too early to be listing bands just now, but some general suggestions - if a band played last year or this year and sucked or just weren't very good (I know it's very difficult for those involved in the organisation to admit it but there are quite a few bands that play each year that don't really cut it - anyone remember Morning Runner? Thought not), don't book them again for 2010, even if they're local (anyone remember...ok I won't mention them). If bands really went down well last year or this year, book them again, particularly if they've packed out one of the smaller stages. Get one or two of the classic Jamaican reggae stars that are still performing, one or two of the more intelligent US hip hop stars, and a few of the more interesting African artists on the bill - a 3-day festival can stand a little more variety. Don't let the line-up get formulaic - too many people seem to want a 'legends' slot here or a 'cheesy' slot there. And get the vegan takeaway stall back - I'm gonna be hungry this year.

Well I said I wouldn't add anything here until after this years festival, here's a few:

The Temper Trap

Passion Pit

The Young Knives

The Courteeners

The Futureheads

Kano

The Cribs

Gogol Bordello

Maximo Park

Chase and Status

Band of Horses

Paulo Nutini

The King Blues

Caspa and Rusko

Streetlight Manifesto

Friendly Fires

Jamie T

Mistabishi

Art Brut

Red Light Company

White Lies

A general idea, and not meant as criticism per se, but as it's the tenth Summer Sundae next year it'd be good to have a return to a Sunday headliner that is actually something special for the last night. For a long time it'd be someone properly legendary (Patti Smith, David Byrne, the Campaign For A Landmine Free World lineup) or the sort of band who you wouldn't normally imagine coming up to play an urbanised Midlands festival, or indeed many festivals at all (Air, Belle & Sebastian). Spiritualized Acoustic Mainlines was a nice idea that didn't work because it wasn't the full whack, and sSimian Mobile Disco and the Zutons could have played anywhere, if you see what I mean.

I think as it's the tenth year next year we should have an act from each year playing... Perhaps a band from each year that made a real impact.

So - Mr Scruff, Glenn Tilbrook, Belle and Sebastian, Kissmet, Infadels, Elbow would be some choices... Of Montreal would be fantastic....

But there should still be room on the bill for the up and coming bands which Summer Sundae does seem to always manage to find... And Wild Beasts should, or course, be made to play every single year!!!!