Our very first festival

Guest wockey

Wife and I have talked about going for too long so got the tickets and a place in Tangerine Fields (its our first so come on !!) Were both late 50's with great taste in music....the kids say !! couldn't believe the line up,Hold Steady,FF's,Low Anthem and Okkervil River.

We have promised each other not to complain for the 3 days and to take it all in BUT would like to know,apart from the obvious,what to take ?? Will there be a queue on arrival or best to come after the initial rush ?? Are the toilets and showers decent or is it worth finding somewhere outside (we plan to spend 2/3 hours in the morning having a look around the area.

Thanks for forthcoming tips. Cant wait for September.

John

Wife and I have talked about going for too long so got the tickets and a place in Tangerine Fields (its our first so come on !!) Were both late 50's with great taste in music....the kids say !! couldn't believe the line up,Hold Steady,FF's,Low Anthem and Okkervil River.

We have promised each other not to complain for the 3 days and to take it all in BUT would like to know,apart from the obvious,what to take ?? Will there be a queue on arrival or best to come after the initial rush ?? Are the toilets and showers decent or is it worth finding somewhere outside (we plan to spend 2/3 hours in the morning having a look around the area.

Thanks for forthcoming tips. Cant wait for September.

John

Frankly, Mr. Wockey, you've chosen a very good festival for your first "experience"!

It's clean, friendly, laid-back and the facilities are great. Now, in fairness, don't expect the toilets to be face-reflectingly clean.

They're certainly clean in comparison to just about any other festival I've been to, and the amount of times they're given a scrub over the weekend is really very impressive. So yeah - don't worry about that.

Never used the EOTR showers, but I'm sure it's a similar story.

I wouldn't worry about arrival time, particularly as you don't have to worry about finding a camping spot.

Bring:

Wet wipes

Torch

A smattering of bog roll (just in case)

Wellies and waterproofs (just in case. you can leave these in the car, smug in the knowledge that if the worst happens, you're sorted.)

Fleece or something warm. It gets COLD in the Dorset September nights.

Bin bags (a multi-purpose godsend)

Can't think of any other extras for now. Sounds like you're going to fit right in at EOTR though.

Have a grand time!

Don't know about Tangerine Fields but bring blankets/pillows etc just in case. festivals are tiring and hard on backs etc...... Make sure you can be comfy when you can.

In fact bring anything you think you might conceivably need - you can always leave it in the car - as festivals go it's not far from car to campsite....500 yards??

You have chosen a very special first festival.

I would definitely bring warm clothes just to sleep in. Keep them in your tent so there will always be warm things to sleep in if it rains. Pack all your stuff in bin bags/plastic bags when you bring it. We got caught in the rain on the Friday last year before we got our tent up, our stuff was fine but we were soaked to the core. I would consider space blankets for warm sleep too.

Get extra strong garden bin bags as you can sit on them or wear them in an emergency rain situation or put things in them back in the car once they're covered in mud.

Obviously bring toilet roll and probably also alcohol hand wash. If tangerine fields don't provide them get an airbed (about £7 in supermarkets) and a foot pump (£4) you will be warmer and not in loads of pain by Sunday and you will have better sleep.

It's quite a small festival so there shouldn't be too much of a queue even at peak times.

If you bring wellies also bring welly socks or they will rub or piss you off. Definitely bring waterproofs and sun cream.

My advice is don't wash.

If at any time you feel a bit irritable have at least one pint of strong cider and reassess. Also see if you maybe need a poo and haven't realised.

Just to add to the above what I love about EOTR is the distance from the tent to the stages.It's 5 minutes walk so if you forget something or change of clothes you're not going to miss much whilst you go back to your tent. Some festivals you have to really plan your day carefully so not to go back to the tent too much(forgotten how much of a walk Latitude is from tent to stages last weekend!).

Yes i'm probably a lazy bastard but it's nice to be lazy once in a while and you can be as lazy as you like at EOTR :blink:

If at any time you feel a bit irritable have at least one pint of strong cider and reassess. Also see if you maybe need a poo and haven't realised.

One more little "newbie" question. Is it feasible to move from one stage to another and still get to see an act ?? Thanks again.

John

Edited by wockey

The journey from one of the main stages to the other would take you about one song (though you do have to pass the cider bus!), so if there is a serious clash you could easily watch a good half of each, or more. You could get from Big Top to The Local or Bimble Inn while somebody was tuning up! It is a VERY compact site. With a total crowd of 5,000 spread across the site, you're never too far from the front, even if you're at the back! No problem watching a dozen acts a day with time built in to enjoy the excellent food and beverages - very little time wasted queuing for anything - or just wander around the beautiful site away from the music. Even then you might bump into one of the acts doing a little unplugged set somewhere among the flowers!