Rhythm Festival - Aug 21-3 - Alabama 3, Proclaimers, Terry Reid...

Guest james_avalon

I don't know a lot about this festy except the line-up (Proclaimers, Alabama 3, Terry Reid, Glen Tillbrook) appeals to an old git like me.

Anyone going? Anyone been? What's it like? Suitable for my 14 and 16 year olds?

I had a great time at Glasto - had to leave early for work today - but it was just too big. I can only take that once a year at most. Looking for something smaller and Rythm was recommended by a pal who's sister wnet 2 years ago, so not much info. The website looks all right:

http://www.rhythmfestival.com

I'd definitely recommend this festival - one of the best that I've been to! :D Yes, it's quite small - but it's really friendly! Unfortunately, we probably can't go this year due to other committments - we've gutted! :blink:

• 1 month later...

Hi James

only just seen this, so sorry not to reply sooner.

I've attended Rhythm for the last 2 years and am a convert! Its a small festie ( max 5000 I think) and I believe the Music speaks for itself - this years line up must have grabbed your attention and led you to post -so Jim Driver ( the organiser) must be doing something right. The site is beautiful and spacious so no big queues and its easy to get near the front of the stage without risk to life or limb. I'd say the average punter was older than many festivals: 30's to 40's rather than 20's -30s but thats not necessarily a good thing. There's a very relaxed vibe ( very low profile security and very few police) and the beer and food is good quality and good value ( pub prices). There are loads of "fixed" flushing toilets in addition to the "plastic cubicles" - again no queues. a major advantage is that Jim guarantees good weather - he uses magick!

I do hope you can make it and I encourage any other forumites to go along also.

all the best

Nick

This will be our third year, and couldn't recommend highly enough. Look out for the oddly named Gandalph Murphy and the Slambovian Circus of Dreams - they're opening Friday and closing Sunday. A brilliant discovery from last year. :(

Excellent music, beautiful environment, good food, good beer, good prices, no queues, no hassle, ultra friendly, plenty of space both at camp site and arena, brilliant vibe :D

Recently returned from Camp Bestival in Dorset, which we did especially for the kids - boys 6 and 12. While we had a good time, even the boys agreed not a patch on the Rhythm Fest, even though music and activities at CB more to their taste. For us it was too big, too crowded, too corporate and generally too much

In terms of your boys - potential for disappointment I suppose if they're after contemporary headliners, but primed with what to expect, can't believe it wouldn't be all good :)

looking foward to my 3rd RhythemFest (missed last year for personal reasons) - its one of those festivals you buy tickets for each year without even bothering to see who's on, cos you know its gonna be fab! Talking of tickets, anyone order them thru SeeTickets and having problems getting them? after being told they'd been sent out on monday, the website finally says they went out today! great! i'm having to set off tomorrow at 9.30 am, postman arrives at about 1 pm - wot a result!

eventually managed to get thru on the phone and make sure i can get in tomorrow by providing a reference number, cc number, and photo id (and probably utility bills for the last 3 years etc etc) usually seetickets are reliable but feel let down on this - hopefully no problems tomorrow - all problems will be blown away by Gandalf, The Ash (the original and still the best "The Ash"), Hot Rods, Frank Sidebottom (whoops, how did that get in there?)

I went to Rhythm Festival this weekend for the first time after hearing friends rave about it and I was absolutely blown away.

This has got to be the friendliest family festival of them all. Everybody was so laid back - even security - and you could almost feel the good vibes washing over you. Real toilets, real food and the prices were in many cases cheaper than in the pubs in he village. For example, a pint of 'real cider' and a red wine in the festival real ale bar came to a fiver. I paid nearly a pound more in the village pub and it was no where near as nice!

The weather was great, the bands were varied (as you'd expect) but included some real finds for me: Gandalf Murphy & The Circus of Slambovian Dreams, Demon Barbers and Glen Tillbrook being top of a long list.

If I was to search for down sides they would have to be the fairly long walk from my campsite to the Alternative Stage on Saturday afternoon to see the Sex Patels (well worth it) but even that was a doddle when compared to Glastonbury.

I even bought tkets for next year halfway thrugh Sunday afternoon - and I'd only had two pints!

I went to Rhythm Festival this weekend for the first time after hearing friends rave about it and I was absolutely blown away.

This has got to be the friendliest family festival of them all. Everybody was so laid back - even security - and you could almost feel the good vibes washing over you. Real toilets, real food and the prices were in many cases cheaper than in the pubs in he village. For example, a pint of 'real cider' and a red wine in the festival real ale bar came to a fiver. I paid nearly a pound more in the village pub and it was no where near as nice!

The weather was great, the bands were varied (as you'd expect) but included some real finds for me: Gandalf Murphy & The Circus of Slambovian Dreams, Demon Barbers and Glen Tillbrook being top of a long list.