How long did it take you to get there?

Guest mattrgee

identical - the 200+ mile trip on the M6/M5 from Manchester took less time than the A37 from Shepton Mallett to the festival - the worse thing ( apart from a 5 hour 10 mile dribble ) was.....no obvious reason !!!!!

what was going on ????

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in leicester anwe left at 2pm wednesday and got to the camp at 2am!.

We also like many others got stuck around birmingham for 3 hours.

Then as we reached the entrance my friend went to hand over her and tiicket, pulled out the envelope her ticket came in...and it wasn't there! Had to go looking for it . she was so worried she dropped it at a service station but luckily found it in her car

We left Manchester at 5am on Wednesday morning, after 200 miles and 4 hours driving we reached the exit slip of the M5 junction at around 10am (we had to avoid a crash on the M6 which didn't help). The last 20 miles from the M5 junction took a further 7 hours! We parked up and turned off the engine at 4:45pm in West 27. Almost 12 hours in total.

I think we'll leave at midnight next year!!!

What about everyone else?

set off from London at 9:30

sitting broken down on the m3 10 miles from Fleet services at 11:00

wait for rac get us to Fleet service

taxi from Fleet train station 15:00

train to reading

train to Bristol

get off train at Bristol to be told the shuttle buses were cancelled.

got a taxi to the site, halfway there the driver announces he not sure where he's going and hands me his sat nav.

got to the site and got my wristband about 20:30 this was 3 adults and 2 kids in tow

It was quite and adventure

About 90 minutes from Bath on Wednesday morning. Encountered stationary traffic 2 miles north of Shepton Mallett so used a map and followed tiny lanes to the west. Came out right by one of the entrances with no trouble at all.

left @ 6 for booked coach for 7.30am. didnt turn up and had to get the train. got off @ 1pm. waitin 3 1/2 hrs for festval coach, which didnt even go all the way so we had to walk to a gate at the opposite end of where it should have been!!!!! got to pennards around 7pm.

to say i was pissssssssssed off is an understatement. the whole festival coach from station was a JOKE. at one point only 1 bus left in a 30 min period!!!!!! woman on the tannoy even had the audacity to say there was a 'short delay'.

y do they tell ppl to use public transport if they cant deal with the amount of people that wanna use it?? 3 1/2hrs q'in in the sweltering heat and luggage is not acceptable.

i heard people that got to C'Cary after 2pm had to wait for 5 hours for a bus.

wrong on so many levels!!!!!!!!!!

15 hours it took me, kinder of pissed me off. had all these plans for the Wednesday, Left Preston at 5am, got parked about 10ish. Was sat on aroad for 6 hours moving 100 meters every 30 min, after we found the found the motorway was messed up because someone had been killed on it.

Think at the festival when it's grid locked they need someone coming down telling people whats going on. 6 hours on a god dam A road with only crappy traffic news telling us it's busy.

Only took 15 minute to get out.

We left Newcastle at half 6 on tuesday evening, stayed overnight in sheffield at mates house.

Left sheffield at 6.15 on wednesday morning, got to junction at M5/M6 where crash had been at about 10.15. Went around to west side entrace of fest and proceeded to wait in traffic jams for about 12 hours!!!!!!!!!! Did not get into site till about 11ish and wasn't puttting tent up till half 12.

Truly awfull experience especially with the hot weather

12 hours from Bristol. Arrived at vehicle gate (we had onsite car pass) at 10.10pm and they had curfewed the gate at 10pm not allowing anyone to drive on site. They ushered us all into a compound and told us we had to sleep in our cars and not get out of the car until 8am. We thought feck that and decided to walk onsite and come back for the car and gear the next day.

We finished pitching our tent at 1am, having left Bristol at midday and completely missed our first shift working down at Shangrila which was 6pm-midnight.

It was a hell of a day a bit like a test....how much do you want this? Well as it turns out, we wanted it A LOT!

Left London at half eight, flew down the M4, failed to notice sat nav wasn't working properly, missed junction and ended up driving into the centre of Bristol which added a couple of hours at least.

But my mate had sat nav on his phone up and running after that so we were able to largely avoid the A37 and make up plenty of time, albeit by going miles out of our way along some interesting country lanes - in by 3pm.

we left Bristol at 6.30am and turned up at the car parks at 8am. Had to queue for ½hour to get in ped gate D, which surprised me a lot. it seemed WELL busy for Wednesday morning.

Our mates left Portsmouth at 10.30, came via Bristol (tip for next time guys: USE A ROAD MAP INSTEAD OF SAT NAV :lol: ), then got stuck in that traffic of doom. They turned up at Pennards at 11pm.

We got to Junction 23 of the M5 about 12:30pm and could see the traffic jam ahead and decided to get off at junction 22.

We did have sat nav a map plus some one who knew the area a little.

Think it was the best decision we ever made as we was parked up a hour later

Think it was around 8 hours from Bristol on one of those hateful double decker city buses.

There was one sign on the M5 saying "Use J25 for Glastonbury" and when we saw the queue we decided to take the gamble. Unfortunately - directions at J25 were sparse and sat nav lady just wanted us back on the motorway!

Anyway - in desperation we just took a random turning into a country lane and kept driving. After about 10 minutes - sat nav lady stopped telling us to "Turn around when possible" & started directing us again. We felt totally lost - we wandered down tiny narrow winding single track roads with no idea where we were, and we had no choice but to put total faith in sat nav lady.

Then suddenly, we came to the end of a tiny country lane and there were 2 Glasto stewards! They wandered over and asked what gate we wanted and then directed us the last 2k. We asked "Aren't you wondering how we ended up here?" and in that lovely west country drawl they answered "No - people have been popping up here all day - seems the sat navs are doing it - no-one knows why." It was like Glasto magic!

We joined the traffic queue about half a mile from the gate and did the whole journey from M5 to Glastonbury in 40 minutes!!!!! Thats quicker than we usually do it!

We left from Stroud at 8am, to be dropped off by my long suffering Mum and Dad as we've done many times before. Made good time until we hit Shepton Mallet at which point we got stuck in the hell traffic queue. Spent a lot of time walking alongside the car, or stopping off at the various pubs on the way, some of which were getting into the spirit selling cider and having mini parties. It wasn't too bad... a carnival atmosphere prevailed, but eventually at 2.30pm my poor folks were looking tired and I couldn't subject them to any more !

We hefted our kit and walked. We followed the yellow glastonbury signs to the drop off and pick up point where we had been hoping to get the shuttle bus the rest of the way but they took us the wrong way and we ended up walking the whole way in.

So, six and a half hours in the car and one and a half hours walking with all our kit in the baking hot sun dripping sweat.

It's never been like that before. A combination of accidents and many more people coming on Wed than ever before probably to blame.

I really needed the massage I had on Thursday morning because I was really sore.