Marking your tent to find it at night

Guest lovelessrapture

Heya

Sorry this has probably be done to death in other posts but I can't seem to find any. Is there any particular suggestions or tips for marking your tent out so that it'll be findable in the campsite? Like if you use a flag best suited materials to carry it and keep it from falling down etc?

Me and my friends going are all noobs to Glasto and we've never had a problem finding tents in other festivals but this seems to be on a big enough scale to think it's likely we won't find the thing for hours!

in the past we have used a fishing pole as a flag pole, with string & cable ties & thats held up well.

last year though i bought a propper flag pole from the flag man on site & cable tied it to the gazebo. the only thing was we couldnt extend it to the full height because we were camped under the pilon. but we could see it easily enough to get back to camp.

Heya

Sorry this has probably be done to death in other posts but I can't seem to find any. Is there any particular suggestions or tips for marking your tent out so that it'll be findable in the campsite? Like if you use a flag best suited materials to carry it and keep it from falling down etc?

Me and my friends going are all noobs to Glasto and we've never had a problem finding tents in other festivals but this seems to be on a big enough scale to think it's likely we won't find the thing for hours!

Heres what you do...Know which field you are camped in i.e. Pennards, Greenfields, Home ground then go to the path at the edge of the filed leaving at least one person at the tent count for example, 5 lamposts down and 10 tents across or the like someone near you will have a flag if you don't, stop worrying and chill x

Another easy suggestion would be...just take a good look around at what flags your neighbours have and memorise them!? :(

I don't know you but our tent will also have inflatable monkeys and flamingos climbing over it! :(

We'll have a Saltire, a /index.php?s=&showtopic=114331&view=findpost&p=2809978">Blur flag and a Haribo flag flying from our flag pole so for the newbies in the group they should be able to find their way back! :( Also thought of sticking a load of glowsticks together and creating a pulley system using string through the small eyelet at the top of the flagpole to rig them up each night so we have a nice shiney "beacon" on top.*

*I don't know if I explained that very well. :(

My rig was nicked last year on the Wednesday night. I wasn't happy.

It had a flashing red LED on the top of a 5m pole with an Elvis flag on it.

I bought the LED unit, attached to a double AA battery pack, for a couple of quid on ebay. I bought a few metres of bell wire for less than £1 from a hardware store, snipped the wires, resoldered and taped the joins, stuck the LED inside a small translucent red plastic ball and ran the wire up the pole. It was unmissable.

Two years ago we were in Oxylers, and on the Sunday some Welsh guys came over to thank us for the flag, which had guided them home every night. They had bumped into a mate from home over the weekend, and invited him to stop by their tent for a beer. They told him they were right in between the Elvis flag and the South Africa flag.

They told us the guy said he wasn't sure he knew what the South African flag looked like.

So they said to him: 'Do you know what Elvis looks like?'

He said he did.

'So you'll be all right then, won't you?' they said. Hehe.

Anyway, you won't need a flag after the first day, you'll find the tent...

Heres what you do...Know which field you are camped in i.e. Pennards, Greenfields, Home ground then go to the path at the edge of the filed leaving at least one person at the tent count for example, 5 lamposts down and 10 tents across or the like someone near you will have a flag if you don't, stop worrying and chill x

A few years back when I first camped in Pennards it took me around 2 hours one night/dark early morning to find my tent somewhere in the middle.

I subsequently bought & dismantled three cheap garden solar powered lights which I attach to the top of 3 bamboo poles taped together.

It's not a bright light but distinctive enough to be visible from any edge path of Pennards.

We've got a clownfish/nemo windsock. Last year a chap came up to us on the last day and asked if he could buy it for his wife for £50 as they had used it every day to find their way back, and she wanted it as a souvenir - win/win for all concerned.

Got home from the festival and promptly ordered another Nemo for £8.99 from Skyblue!!

MB