General advice please- glastonbury newbie!

Guest kinseylar

Hey,

Right 1st time @ Glasto! Absolutely cannot wait!

However have afew queries/ general questions really and hope someone can help;

Food- How much are we talking a day? I'v heard that there are supermarkets? I'v been to other festivals and am familiar with the £5 noodle meal type etc, is this how it works at glasto?

Drink- I'v heard you can bring in your own booze so was planning to cheapen it up and bring a sack-truck with about 5 crates on it, would this work?

Night-time- what sort of events go on past the 11 oclock music finish?

General things not to miss- have you any particular must do/see things? I want a complete experience so hoping for abit of comedy and shows together with a film throughout my stay aswell.

Lastly- festival tip of the day please, any random tip you think I MUST know- previous experiences welcome.

Much appreciated and if you wear a tshirt 2 glasto with 'I helped Glasto Nembie' I shall buy you a beer or two for your assistance!!! Seriously!

Kinsey

Hey,

Right 1st time @ Glasto! Absolutely cannot wait!

However have afew queries/ general questions really and hope someone can help;

Food- How much are we talking a day? I'v heard that there are supermarkets? I'v been to other festivals and am familiar with the £5 noodle meal type etc, is this how it works at glasto?

Drink- I'v heard you can bring in your own booze so was planning to cheapen it up and bring a sack-truck with about 5 crates on it, would this work?

General things not to miss- have you any particular must do/see things? I want a complete experience so hoping for abit of comedy and shows together with a film throughout my stay aswell.

Lastly- festival tip of the day please, any random tip you think I MUST know- previous experiences welcome.

Much appreciated and if you wear a tshirt 2 glasto with 'I helped Glasto Nembie' I shall buy you a beer or two for your assistance!!! Seriously!

Kinsey

Food wise is personal I suppose. We tend to cook our own brekkie at camp then usually just have a decent meal at tea time.

Take as much ale as you can get on your truck, forfeit things like extra clothes that you will not wear, unless it's gonna be wet. But of course it isn't.

Haha 11 oclock finish yeah right! So much going on all over the place but do the Stones, trash city and shangri-la at least once or twice. Pear cider is also a must do.

My top tip would be get familiar with where you are camped. Don't just set up and get wasted somewhere with no clue as to where you are camped. Oh go on then that's how I used to meet people back in the day. I went 1 year with 3 mates and we didn't have a tent.

Food wise - I tend to take a selection of food items (snacks, juice, noodles, cereal bars, fruit etc) and supplement this with meals bought on site. There is a HUGE variety of food available on site at varying prices, but usually slightly more expensive than you'd expect to pay elsewhere. I also usually take in a disposable BBQ or two and do bacon etc for breakfast.

It's much cheaper to take in your own alcohol - but as Laura_Babs said, remember no glass is allowed. They usually do check this on the gate and will confiscate glass bottles. Decant anything in glass into plastic bottles (I usually take in some spirit with mixers this way) or stick to cans or boxes of wine.

Night-time - Glastonbury never sleeps! There is ALWAYS something going on somewhere. It's not like other festivals where after 11pm everything stops for the night.

In terms of things not to miss - my best advice as others have said is explore, explore, explore! My favourite places are the Jazz World field (LOVE the flags, the Brothers and Pie Minister!), the Green Fields (so eclectic) and the Park (check out the tower - giver amazing views across the site), but there is really so much to see and do.

Tops tips (here goes):

• Do not underestimate how big the site is and how long it takes to get everwhere! Allow extra time to get to things you don't want to miss. You will get tired!

• Take a good, comfy pair of shoes - you'll be doing a lot of walking

• Don't expect to see everything - it just isn't possible over the space of a few days.

• After you pitch your tent, make sure you familiarise yourself with the surrounding area - look for landmarks you can easily recognise: flags, unusual tents etc. The campsites can look very different after dark (and after a few drinks!) and be disorientating. It is very easy to lose your tent.

• Use the long drops in preference to the portaloos - yes they look a bit scary (don't look down) but they don't smell nearly as much as the portaloos.

• Although security is much better than it used to be, i'd advise against taking anything of high value or anything you don't mind losing/breaking

• Explore! Glastonbury isn't just about the music - there's so much going on all over the site.

I'm sure there's more but i can't think of anything else right now :P

Edited by Bexxxxx

It was my first Glasto last year.

I was so------------o amazed how big the site is, so as mentioned above spend sometime getting to know the place especially where you camp. The best thing to remind youself of where your camped is taking a flag to attached to your tent or picking out a flag near your tent that stands out!!!

I would also recommend taking a spare mobile phone or battery as the queues for the charging tent are long! Also a camping chair to carry around, they are cheap & light & ideal when your waiting for a band to come especially if its raining! A money belt is also a good idea. i kept my on all the time even when i was asleep!!

You will have a great time, its the happiest place on earth!!!