difficulty walking

Guest rach333

Hi all,

I have recently had to cut my 800km walk across spain trip short due to tendonitis in both feet.... i am resting now until glastonbury, praying that i will be able to walk ok in time! does anyone have any suggestions on how i might be able to get myself around the festival if not able to walk well? I will prob just have to find a good location close to entertainment, food, my tent and loos! however this is my first glasto and prob only glastonbury i want to get around and see as much as i can....

Hi all,

I have recently had to cut my 800km walk across spain trip short due to tendonitis in both feet.... i am resting now until glastonbury, praying that i will be able to walk ok in time! does anyone have any suggestions on how i might be able to get myself around the festival if not able to walk well? I will prob just have to find a good location close to entertainment, food, my tent and loos! however this is my first glasto and prob only glastonbury i want to get around and see as much as i can....

As above, I would bring crutches or walking pole things. Camping near the path is also a good idea. Bring a camping chair as well so that you can have a break when you feel it is needed. Don't push yourself too hard and perhaps calculate extra time into the equation if you want to go and see anything in particular that starts at a certain time. Also a good pair of walking boots - guessing you have those anyway if you were walking through spain. Sorry, I probably haven't been much help but good luck. I hope you are OK in time for the festival.

Last year i did some serious damage to my tendons just before the festival. In fact the the week before i couldnt even stand up !

I opted as one previous poster recommends for a pair of walking poles.

Not strong enough to weight bear on obviously, but lightweight, retractable, reasonably cheap, and good enough to steady you on your feet preventling the wobbles and instability that go with tenon problems.

I may still be using my sticks this year after having 3 hours of surgery on my peroneal tendon / ankle in December, (was told 12 months til ill walk "normally", but with or without them ill just be taking my time, not rushing around, and watching very carefully where i am walking. The uneveness of the ground is what causes most discomfort when moving around so if you take your time this is not too bad.

If all else fails i found resorting to Cider also acted as a great painkiller :D

thanks for the suggestions lovely ppl. Walking sticks, small fold out chair & camp near paths.... shall be my plan. and lots of pain killers & grog.

wish i had some mates coming, would be tops to be carried around!

pogo stick would come in handy to see the stage. i could dress up in a roo suit... pity i cant use my feet!

thanks for the suggestions lovely ppl. Walking sticks, small fold out chair & camp near paths.... shall be my plan. and lots of pain killers & grog.

wish i had some mates coming, would be tops to be carried around!

pogo stick would come in handy to see the stage. i could dress up in a roo suit... pity i cant use my feet!

hi there!

there's also some really good info on glastonbury for the less able-bodied here:

www.gorge.org/glastonbury/disabled.shtml

(sorry, don't know how to do a link). might be a bit more than you need but worth knowing

hope it helps and you have a great time at your first festival!

edit: trying and still failing to post a link!

Edited by bigsmoke

How bad is it?

Are we talking 5 -10 minutes potter about before you start getting problems and need a bit of a rest, or a near permement state of hobbling about awkwardly?

If the former, yes, a bit of care with where you camp, walking sticks and charis as have been suggested, you may want to look up a 'shooting stick' (walking stick with handles that fold into a seat) and see if its viable? I picked mine up from an army surplus place for £20 and to be honest, something rather less industrial grade would be more suitable.