Parents, what's your top tip for surviving Glasto with a baby?

Guest Weasel08

n642616172_762270_1262.jpg

Glastonbury 1992 - boys aged 4, 2 and two weeks! All three are now over 6 ft and still going to festivals - youngest two in pic going to Glasto this year - altho no longer camping with us! The cute blond one (no longer cute or blond) is performing at Truck Festival this year with his band (www.myspace.com/dialfforfrankenstein), so taking kids to festivals is a great way to get them into music.

The baby was by far the easiest as he couldn't run about! I carried him in a sling but a one year old will be significantly heavier! It was dry that year though, not sure I could've coped with the mud.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...

I've just bought one of these, and am pretty pleased with it. I think it will cope with all but the stickiest of mud.

I am still to work out how I'm going to get it plus child back to my tent from the path. Camping beside a path just isn't an option. OK if there is 2 of us going back, but pretty difficult with only one.

Problems problems.

So glad this thread was dug out! Am hoping to convince my other half to take our will then be almost 3 year old for the first couple of days. He says No :P

Fact is we have all week off and nanny who lives in glastonbury is babysitting from friday -monday. So my ideal is to take her for the weds and thurs then take her to mums friday morning and go back and enjoy the rest of it ourselves! How can this not be a plan. I will leave this thread open on the pc when i go to work late so he will read it!! :P

So glad this thread was dug out! Am hoping to convince my other half to take our will then be almost 3 year old for the first couple of days. He says No :P

Fact is we have all week off and nanny who lives in glastonbury is babysitting from friday -monday. So my ideal is to take her for the weds and thurs then take her to mums friday morning and go back and enjoy the rest of it ourselves! How can this not be a plan. I will leave this thread open on the pc when i go to work late so he will read it!! :P

I've just bought one of these, and am pretty pleased with it. I think it will cope with all but the stickiest of mud.

I am still to work out how I'm going to get it plus child back to my tent from the path. Camping beside a path just isn't an option. OK if there is 2 of us going back, but pretty difficult with only one.

Problems problems.

• 11 months later...

Hi there

hope you don't mind me bumping this thread again? I am taking my baby to Glastonbury, he will be 6 months old. From what I have read a ready-bed is not suitable for a baby that age and my son and I co-sleep at the moment so I wondered if people have any advice on what I should do RE sleeping arrangements. I usually take an air bed but obviously it would have to be very well pumped up to be safe so would it be better for me to take a proper camp bed? Also wondering what people took for their young babies to sleep in? A gro-bag?

Also Re the trail bike buggy, do they have 3 wheels? The ones I can see on ebay only seem to have 2.

Edited by byny

Hi there

hope you don't mind me bumping this thread again? I am taking my baby to Glastonbury, he will be 6 months old. From what I have read a ready-bed is not suitable for a baby that age and my son and I co-sleep at the moment so I wondered if people have any advice on what I should do RE sleeping arrangements. I usually take an air bed but obviously it would have to be very well pumped up to be safe so would it be better for me to take a proper camp bed? Also wondering what people took for their young babies to sleep in? A gro-bag?

Also Re the trail bike buggy, do they have 3 wheels? The ones I can see on ebay only seem to have 2.

Not sure about sleeping as were in a camper but the bike trailers I've been lookin at have a detachable front wheel so it can work either as a trailer or a pushchair. Although they say they are for older kids I think it'll be the best option for our ten month old.

We're going this year with our son who will be 10 months, we're leaving our three year old with grandparents. I've no doubt he'd enjoy the Kidzfield, but call me selfish but we'd rather be checking out the rest of the site, lazing in the Healing Fields etc etc...and you can't always do that with a boisterous three year old! It's going to be interesting enough with the baby lol.

Our 10 month old has been carried in a woven wrap since birth (not all the time lol, just the times he would normally be in a buggy, or when I need to get housework done!) so I'm taking one or two to Glasto in order to carry him around. Don't fancy lugging a heavy buggy around! I would recommend those looking into big framed backpack carriers, maybe looking into soft-structured carriers instead. Much much easier to carry baby in, you can hardly feel their weight and they're so comfy. www.slingguide.co.uk is a good website to check out.

I must look into sleeping arrangements for the babe. We're taking a tent with two sleeping compartments, one for me and our son, and one for DH as he's more likely to want to go exploring/having a drink or ten in the late evening when we may want to head off to bed. Plus he snores! I'd like to take an airbed but I'm aware this is not the safest option for the boy. I'll have a look into some ready beds.

Can anybody tell me what the family camping sites are like? Do they get really busy? I'm guessing they would be quite quiet at night but noisy in the early morning!

Edited by sazindie

We're going this year with our son who will be 10 months, we're leaving our three year old with grandparents. I've no doubt he'd enjoy the Kidzfield, but call me selfish but we'd rather be checking out the rest of the site, lazing in the Healing Fields etc etc...and you can't always do that with a boisterous three year old! It's going to be interesting enough with the baby lol.

Our 10 month old has been carried in a woven wrap since birth (not all the time lol, just the times he would normally be in a buggy, or when I need to get housework done!) so I'm taking one or two to Glasto in order to carry him around. Don't fancy lugging a heavy buggy around! I would recommend those looking into big framed backpack carriers, maybe looking into soft-structured carriers instead. Much much easier to carry baby in, you can hardly feel their weight and they're so comfy. www.slingguide.co.uk is a good website to check out.

I must look into sleeping arrangements for the babe. We're taking a tent with two sleeping compartments, one for me and our son, and one for DH as he's more likely to want to go exploring/having a drink or ten in the late evening when we may want to head off to bed. Plus he snores! I'd like to take an airbed but I'm aware this is not the safest option for the boy. I'll have a look into some ready beds.

Can anybody tell me what the family camping sites are like? Do they get really busy? I'm guessing they would be quite quiet at night but noisy in the early morning!

We camped in Wicket family camping last year and I was really impressed!!

There was loads of room,it was clean and tidy and to be honest not that noisy...I was expecting alot worse early in the morning!!

It has been said on here that the family camping field on the East side was taken over last year by groups of people,not necessarily families with young children,we originally wanted to camp there and now I'm glad we didn't!

that's a shame about the east side, I was hoping to camp there.

The other side - is it a massive pain for getting to the green fields side? I suppose the only pathways are through pyramid or around past the dance area and other stage?

that's a shame about the east side, I was hoping to camp there.

The other side - is it a massive pain for getting to the green fields side? I suppose the only pathways are through pyramid or around past the dance area and other stage?

Last year my mum took my (then 1 and a half year old) sister and brother who was only 3 months old. They hired a campervan to make thinks a bit easier for them but they had a small pop-up tent for a child. I think it was called a sun-tent, they are designed for beaches and things but it was ideal for keeping the baby out of the sun when we were sitting watching acts at the pyramid stage and things. He slept in there aswell, despite all the noise! Hope that helps :)