Parents, what's your top tip for surviving Glasto with a baby?

Guest Weasel08

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We used to use this for getting our gear to our campsite but after having our boys, and getting a campervan we have now modified it to drag our boys around the site. In the mud its easier to pull than push so this works out great. (the handle is removed in this piccy). We also have a rain cover for if it rains, (made out of a twin buggy rain cover). During the day it has a bench seat in it for them to sit bahind each other and at night we just fill it with blankets and pillows for them to sleep in..

http://s691.photobucket.com/albums/vv279/h...asto%20trolley/

Edited by hippyhough

We used to use this for getting our gear to our campsite but after having our boys, and getting a campervan we have now modified it to drag our boys around the site. In the mud its easier to pull than push so this works out great. (the handle is removed in this piccy). We also have a rain cover for if it rains, (made out of a twin buggy rain cover). During the day it has a bench seat in it for them to sit bahind each other and at night we just fill it with blankets and pillows for them to sleep in..

http://s691.photobucket.com/albums/vv279/h...asto%20trolley/

I have a 9 month old boy and a 2 and half year old girl, neither of which will be coming with me this year. Mainly cos I'm selfish and want to lose it a little after a pretty stressful year or so.

But I will most definitely think about taking them in a few years time, especially as more and more of my Glasto-going mates have kids. It would obviously mean I'd have to alter the more hedonistic vibe that ensues, but seeing my little ones larking about in the kids field, circus tent or even dancing with me in front of the Pyramid will make any such sacrifices worth it.

My little girl is the one wearing the ear defenders in my avatar pic (when we had builders in) - she loved wearing them!

we're taking our toddler for the first time and some friends think we're bonkers too but I know he's going to have a great time. Think people dont realise just how much there is on offer for kids & think they're going to be expected to watch bands for 3 days from 11am to midnight. Defo going to get him some ear defenders & hope to get a 2nd hand back carrier in case its muddy.

What sort of buggy copes with Gbury? what types and makes have people taken? if i cant find one cheap enough then Mini-shoes had his first ride in a wheelbarrow today and loved it so thats an option I guess.

Syd from Cbeebies!! thats fab! Mini-shoes is obsessed with Mr Tumble/Justin at the mo & he's going to be at Camp Bestival so im really hoping this means he's a festival-summer & will be at Gbury!

Sorry just realised that I havent really given any advice - probs cos Im not sure either! Ive just bought a 2nd hand ready bed thing as his travel cot is far too heavy to carry, hoping to get some 2nd hand waterproofs - jacket and trousers, as well as some very snuggly pyjamas, need to order the ear defenders. Going to take as many small cartons of drinks & snacks as I can fit in our rucksacks. Planning on having as much as I can fit into our ruckscaks and then having some spare set of clothes in the boot of the car just in case.

will be interested to hear from other Glastonbury Mums and Dads!

I seriously don't think Glastonbury, or any festival, is the place for a baby.

I guess having kids is a choice that involves major sacrifices and I think this is probably one of them.

I know Glasto caters for children, but really I think these kids should at least be of age where they can take care of themselves and amuse themselves unsupervised for a part of the day.

Glastonbury with a baby sounds like a nightmare tbh.

Hope you survive the weekend ok, but really I think if you don't have young children then someone has to stay at home with the baby.

I seriously don't think Glastonbury, or any festival, is the place for a baby.

I guess having kids is a choice that involves major sacrifices and I think this is probably one of them.

I know Glasto caters for children, but really I think these kids should at least be of age where they can take care of themselves and amuse themselves unsupervised for a part of the day.

Glastonbury with a baby sounds like a nightmare tbh.

Hope you survive the weekend ok, but really I think if you don't have young children then someone has to stay at home with the baby.

Hi, I have been looking for some kind of transport for our two year old and this looks perfect - what is it called? And where did you get it? We were planning on taking our three wheeler buggy but I am worried the wheels would be to small if it got muddy!

It wasn't a problem last year as she wasn't walking so we just carried her everywhere - not easy on the back but we didn't have to worry about her slipping in the mud. I will also be six months pregnant for this years glasto so carrrying wont really be an option!

Been looking at one of these ourselves for carting out 20m old about Glastonbury this year. How well does it fold down for fitting in the car? Do the wheels come off ? and when the children aren't in it can you carry camping gear (Tent, sleeping bags etc) in it ? Thanks ever so much. :lol:
Edited by Moon Monkey

this will be my 4th year, my husbands 10th and our 13 month old sons first time at glastonbury. we are very excited about taking him with us, we are really looking forwards to experiencing glastonbury as a family. we have had lots of negative comments from friends and family about taking him. we have found that its only people who have never been to glastonbury who have any thing bad to say. we know lots of people going and always meet up with old friends over the weekend, so im sure we will get lots of help along the way! we have found reading everyones comments on here very intresting and have picked up loads of tips! we will be adding glow sticks, for the pushchair and hand sanitizer to our shopping list. we will make sure that we visit the kidz field as early on as we can to pick up one of those arm braclet thingys. we have been looking in to buying some ear defenders but am reasured you can buy them there.

the problem that i have is the cheap pushchair we have brought for the festival has small wheels. does anyone know where i can buy a cheap one with big wheels from? tis only 2 weeks away and im worried that if i was to order form the net it wont come in time.

This will be my 4th year, my husbands 10th and our 13 month old sons first time at glastonbury. we are very excited about taking him with us, we are really looking forwards to experiencing glastonbury as a family. we have had lots of negative comments from friends and family about taking him. we have found that its only people who have never been to glastonbury who have any thing bad to say. we know lots of people going and always meet up with old friends over the weekend, so im sure we will get lots of help along the way! we have found reading everyones comments on here very intresting and have picked up loads of tips! we will be adding glow sticks, for the pushchair and hand sanitizer to our shopping list. we will make sure that we visit the kidz field as early on as we can to pick up one of those arm braclet thingys. we have been looking in to buying some ear defenders but am reasured you can buy them there.

the problem that i have is the cheap pushchair we have brought for the festival has small wheels. does anyone know where i can buy a cheap one with big wheels from? tis only 2 weeks away and im worried that if i was to order form the net it wont come in time.

Hi! I got my pram with big wheels from Netmums. Not sure if you know about it -www.netmums.com but they have a sort of regional page for each city or small county and within that are regional boards - there's usually a for sale board and a wanted board - and I put a message on the wanted board saying that I wanted a 3-wheel all-terrain buggy in any condition. I got a few replies with ones in good condition so more expensive but just replied saying I wanted a cheap and more battered one, and luckily someone replied. There are some 3 wheelers which dont look very all-terrain to me (with smaller wheels) so worth having a read around some reviews to check before committing. I was also checking on ebay as well - on eaby there seem to be quite a lot of those Mothercare urban detours around which dont look too bad - theyre more common on ebay than proper mountain buggies i think and cheaper so they might be worth considering - have a looksie in mothercare and see what you think.

are those bands in the kidz field wristbands that you can write your mobile on?

Hi! I got my pram with big wheels from Netmums. Not sure if you know about it -www.netmums.com but they have a sort of regional page for each city or small county and within that are regional boards - there's usually a for sale board and a wanted board - and I put a message on the wanted board saying that I wanted a 3-wheel all-terrain buggy in any condition. I got a few replies with ones in good condition so more expensive but just replied saying I wanted a cheap and more battered one, and luckily someone replied. There are some 3 wheelers which dont look very all-terrain to me (with smaller wheels) so worth having a read around some reviews to check before committing. I was also checking on ebay as well - on eaby there seem to be quite a lot of those Mothercare urban detours around which dont look too bad - theyre more common on ebay than proper mountain buggies i think and cheaper so they might be worth considering - have a looksie in mothercare and see what you think.

are those bands in the kidz field wristbands that you can write your mobile on?

there's a seller on ebay - lostchildbeads - who makes small bead bracelets out of your mobile phone number. Just got one for my 3yr old daughter (was about £3). She thinks its very pretty and knows that should she (heavens forbid!) get lost, to show it to a steward or a "mummy with children" and ask them to call me. So if you know your child wouldn't take it off an absolute bargain!

n642616172_762270_1262.jpg

Glastonbury 1992 - boys aged 4, 2 and two weeks! All three are now over 6 ft and still going to festivals - youngest two in pic going to Glasto this year - altho no longer camping with us! The cute blond one (no longer cute or blond) is performing at Truck Festival this year with his band (www.myspace.com/dialfforfrankenstein), so taking kids to festivals is a great way to get them into music.

The baby was by far the easiest as he couldn't run about! I carried him in a sling but a one year old will be significantly heavier! It was dry that year though, not sure I could've coped with the mud.