Festival timeline

Guest Leaaa

I've just been looking at the timeline on the BBC website; reading/watching videos from each year. Glastonbury already means a lot to me but knowing more about the history of it has made me appreciate/love it more! I'm now even more excited than before, which I didn't think was possible!

However, as this will only be my third year ('07, '08, '09) it's made me wish that I was around to have experienced the earlier festivals! So far, I'd say my first year, 2007, was the best (even though it rained non stop) as I was only 16 and was completely overwhelmed as soon as I walked through the ticket barrier and knew that I was going to love it - I was right!

So, which year has been your best at the legendary Glastonbury Festival?

95 for me. First ever festival without my folks (used to go to Cambridge and Cropredy with them a lot). Oasis, Foo Fighters, Weezer, The Verve, Supergrass, Pulp, Elastica, Boo Radleys, Ash (around the time they did Girl From Mars), Sleeper. 15 years old and a huge Britpop fan I absolutely loved it plus the weather was fantastic!

95 for me. First ever festival without my folks (used to go to Cambridge and Cropredy with them a lot). Oasis, Foo Fighters, Weezer, The Verve, Supergrass, Pulp, Elastica, Boo Radleys, Ash (around the time they did Girl From Mars), Sleeper. 15 years old and a huge Britpop fan I absolutely loved it plus the weather was fantastic!

'97!!!!

Freezing cold! Wet! Muddy!

Grrrrr... them were the days... :rolleyes:

...but I do remember randomly finding someone I knew through the crowd, in the midst of the rain and mud during Finlay Quay at the Jazz Stage... one of those strange emotional Glasto moments.. :lol:

I didnt know the foooooooooos played 95 I didnt have clashfinder back then

Gutted!

Edited by LusciousLucy

It's hard to pick a favourite - they all have their good and bad moments - always more good than bad.

If pushed I would have to pick 2007. Bloody awful weather - the relentless rain of 98 combined with the gloopy sticky madness of 97 yet it was brilliant.

I tried everything to get tickets in 2005 and ended up watching it on the telly and crying all the way through. We'd nearly missed out in 2004 so I just felt like I might never get to go again - that the ticket madness would always leave me outside the fence!

So when I got tickets in 2007 I not only appreciated it more, I felt like I needed to treat it like I might never get another chance to go. It was the first Glastonbury that I didn't waste a single minute - from the time I woke up to the time I collapsed in my tent at night I enjoyed everything. When it rained, I just kept going and got wet and when i got muddy, I just stayed muddy and learnt to love it. I high fived the whole world - especially anyone looking glum, and I just had the best time ever.

Still want solid sun this year tho - no compromise!

2003. Radiohead, Ozomatli twice, first mushrooms. SUNSHINE.

Most importantlly, first Glasto!

In terms of enjoyment I am sad to say there has been a downward trend in the two others I have been to: 2004 was OK but 2007 was a bit of a struggle with the weather... hoping to reverse that this year!

'97!!!!

Freezing cold! Wet! Muddy!

Grrrrr... them were the days... :rolleyes:

...but I do remember randomly finding someone I knew through the crowd, in the midst of the rain and mud during Finlay Quay at the Jazz Stage... one of those strange emotional Glasto moments.. :lol:

1999 will always be my favourite... glorious sunshine, abundant grass (of both varieties), REM rocked the place, Hole got a stage invasion, great sets by Joe Strummer and Skunk Anansie... plus the edgy atmosphere, "bollocks" shouting and naked people were a common sight. Damn I hope this year is as good! Mind you, last year for me was the first time it felt like Glasto since that fence went up (the old one might as well not have been there...), and with that line-up it's looking promising!

Edited by howard the oryx

That happened to me last year, while I was watching Newton Faulkner, I looked to my left and saw three girls I know from college!

Also...I was as the front of the Other Stage last year watching a band when suddenly this girl next to me said "Oh my god, I met you here last year!"...was so weird, but cool :rolleyes:

I love those sort of coincidences :lol:

That happened to me last year, while I was watching Newton Faulkner, I looked to my left and saw three girls I know from college!

Also...I was as the front of the Other Stage last year watching a band when suddenly this girl next to me said "Oh my god, I met you here last year!"...was so weird, but cool :P

I love those sort of coincidences :rolleyes:

Er ok...didnt the Foo's play their first ever UK show at Reading 95? Might be going bonkers but pretty sure that was their first ever performance in this country. My mate was at the front in the teeny tent and broke 3 ribs!

And Glasto 95 was the best and first one for me! :rolleyes:

Edited by Monkismo

1999 will always be my favourite... glorious sunshine, abundant grass (of both varieties), REM rocked the place, Hole got a stage invasion, great sets by Joe Strummer and Skunk Anansie... plus the edgy atmosphere, "bollocks" shouting and naked people were a common sight. Damn I hope this year is as good! Mind you, last year for me was the first time it felt like Glasto since that fence went up (the old one might as well not have been there...), and with that line-up it's looking promising!

I've just been looking at the timeline on the BBC website; reading/watching videos from each year. Glastonbury already means a lot to me but knowing more about the history of it has made me appreciate/love it more! I'm now even more excited than before, which I didn't think was possible!

However, as this will only be my third year ('07, '08, '09) it's made me wish that I was around to have experienced the earlier festivals! So far, I'd say my first year, 2007, was the best (even though it rained non stop) as I was only 16 and was completely overwhelmed as soon as I walked through the ticket barrier and knew that I was going to love it - I was right!

So, which year has been your best at the legendary Glastonbury Festival?

95 for me as well, swiftly followed by 99. 2007 was my least favourite, seriously thought about throwing in the (muddy) towel. Foos were defo 98 btw (more mud). I was in that tent at Reading 95 and it really was crazy.

Edited by kohoutec

agree with 1999 100%. back then you could always get in one way or another. we must have been 30 strong that year, which would never happen with us now. beautiful weather too.

last year was my first since 2000, im hoping this year will be as good.

I've only been to the last 4.............

Must say that 2008 was the best time i've had so far....did so much, met new people, had some really funny nights "chemically enhanced" and watched around 8 bands all weekend!

2005 was a good laugh really enjoyed that one too - despite the downpour, me and another mate from home + 2 lads i i know from going to arsenal and 2 of their mates....constant laughing and taking the piss out of each other all weekend (an all male campsite definatly makes a difference!) - rounded off with a superb set from Ian Brown on the sunday night.

2007 i'd gladly not revisit - had a good time but the weather did my head in by the end.