Ufc

just/john

Iaquinta vs Khabib is the headliner. Iaquinta can't win the title though. Been a fan of his for a while. Exciting fighter who has a wrestling background so might be able to match Khabib somewhat when grappling.

I think it's the best fight they could have made out of the three available.

Such a shame UFC223 has imploded like this though.

i need to watch that one again properly,  as was paying more attention to NXT untl it ended.  Rose/JJ was great. One of best women's fights. Khabib getting lots of criticism but he dominated  and even won in the stand up, people saying a real striker will expose and knock him out, clearly forgetting his previous fight was against the best striker in the division - Barboza. Iaquinta is tough and his stock goes up.

On 8/4/2018 at 5:06 PM, When Jokers Attack said:

i need to watch that one again properly,  as was paying more attention to NXT untl it ended.  Rose/JJ was great. One of best women's fights. Khabib getting lots of criticism but he dominated  and even won in the stand up, people saying a real striker will expose and knock him out, clearly forgetting his previous fight was against the best striker in the division - Barboza. Iaquinta is tough and his stock goes up.

Barboza has been fairly poor since USADA came in though. As have all the Brazilians. There are no Brazilian male fighters in the top 15 pound for pound rankings at the moment. Apart from Cyborg I suppose.

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Barboza has been fairly poor since USADA came in though. As have all the Brazilians. There are no Brazilian male fighters in the top 15 pound for pound rankings at the moment. Apart from Cyborg I suppose.

He's only lost to Khabib and Fergson since USADA, so not too bad.

So only just caught up with the event after some personal drama at home and wow, wasn’t sure how it would go but that was a great PPV!

Zabit fight was nuts, Rose was great and the rest of the card was awesome.

Like one of you said earlier thought the criticism of Khabib and a striker will figure him out was unwarranted. I felt like he was doing an Anthony Joshua, knew he had the fight won and could end it at any point but decided to mix it up and test himself abit. Never looked in doubt.

Not sure how he would fare if he tried to stand and bang with a real high level striker but, I mean, he just wouldn’t would he? Why would he when he knows he can take you down and destroy you.

Only fight I thought that was less than great was the Rawlings fight, is it Rawlings? The Aussie/Kiwi woman. That was disappointing.

2 hours ago, metallimuse said:

So only just caught up with the event after some personal drama at home and wow, wasn’t sure how it would go but that was a great PPV!

Zabit fight was nuts, Rose was great and the rest of the card was awesome.

Like one of you said earlier thought the criticism of Khabib and a striker will figure him out was unwarranted. I felt like he was doing an Anthony Joshua, knew he had the fight won and could end it at any point but decided to mix it up and test himself abit. Never looked in doubt.

Not sure how he would fare if he tried to stand and bang with a real high level striker but, I mean, he just wouldn’t would he? Why would he when he knows he can take you down and destroy you.

Only fight I thought that was less than great was the Rawlings fight, is it Rawlings? The Aussie/Kiwi woman. That was disappointing.

If Khabib could have finished the fight, he would of. Same goes with Joshua.

I agree that people were over the top with the criticism but Khabib is susceptible to leaving his chin up. If he faces a world class striker who can defend his takedowns he will be exposed. The fact is though, it is very, very hard to stop his takedowns. That's what makes him so good.

Every fighter has a weakness and it is a credit to Khabib that his biggest weakness is very difficult to expose.

24 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

Pretty much impossible to say as we have barely seen anything from either fighter. I'd like to see CM Punk pull it off though, he seems a decent bloke 

CM Punk is the reason I’m an MMA fan after he quit WWE and announced his UFC debut and in the time it took for it to happen I fell in love with the sport. But I don’t have high hopes for him. It’s a great card though.

17 hours ago, metallimuse said:

So CM Punk is confirmed to fight again, how do we think he’ll fare?

Fighting against Mike Jackson who is also 0-1 and who also lost to a rear naked choke in the first round to Mickey Gall in 2016.

People will be interested to see how hes improved. His last UFC fight if it goes tits up again. 

36 minutes ago, When Jokers Attack said:

Potential FOTY tonight with Gathje/Poirier, nice early start in UK too. I'm watching KSW show from Poland right now, their production is on another level, only cost 5 euros, will keep me busy until ufc starts.

What's the production like? 

UFC card tonight looks very promising. Not stacked with big names (the minor shows never are) but lots of potential wars. It will be interesting to see how Condit gets on. If he loses badly, I think he should call it a day. Adesanya has huge hype behind him, a big win here and he will likely be given a top 15 guy next. Gathje vs Poirier is the perfect headliner for this kind of card as well. 

Who have you got for the main card? My predications:

Gathje 

Oliveira

Adesanya

Waterson 

Wouldn't surprise me if we see stoppages in the last 3 fights.

19 hours ago, CRW5252 said:

What's the production like? 

Well the opening introductions of the show are like Pride, it's awesome, really good fights too.

Promos for their events are like a movie

One of their shows last year was in  a stadium, almost 60k there. Absolute huge in Poland. I'm only watched the last two shows but really enjoy it.

Last night's UFC...

Poirier/Gaethje was everything and more, what a fight. Gaethje isn't going to last long with that style but that is 3 FOTYC in his first three fights in ufc. Sad seeing Condit lose, Thought Waterson lost her fight, was a very good show overall. Carlos Junior on prelims is one to watch out for.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...