Purchasing alcohol in the UK - time restrictions?

Guest nerraw252

Hey,

I'll be flying to Bristol from Dublin early Wednesday morning for Glastonbury.

The plan is to buy booze either at Bristol airport or get a taxi to a nearby supermarket. Bringing the booze with us from the UK is a non starter due to flying with ryanair and crazy baggage charges.

The coach from Bristol airport to the site leaves at 10.55am.

My question is, can I buy booze somewhere in Bristol before then? I know in Ireland, you can't purchase alcohol before 10.30am. Similar restrictions in the UK?

Also, anyone know of a place near Bristol airport to stock up?

Many thanks

i think at most supermarkets its as soon as it opens.

its after 11 you have trouble, for 24 hour places i think its 7 in the mornnig they can start selling it again.

you should be fine.

In London you can stock up on your booze at any time of the day. Most places round my way are open 24hrs for booze...

Does the rest of the UK really not have any local shops to buy booze through the night?

Surely the licensing laws are the same everywhere!

Edited by Funkfarley

The past few times we've been to Glasto, we've bought all our booze from the Tesco at the end of the M32 in central(ish) Bristol at around 7am. Before the licensing laws were relaxed we had to time our drive from Norfolk to get us to Bristol just after 8am as that was when they used to start selling.

The past few times we've been to Glasto, we've bought all our booze from the Tesco at the end of the M32 in central(ish) Bristol at around 7am. Before the licensing laws were relaxed we had to time our drive from Norfolk to get us to Bristol just after 8am as that was when they used to start selling.

You could also buy some in Dublin duty free before you get on the plane...I know it will only be the tax free variety, but we were planning on doing the same thing before we got on the plane...can't put a slab of beer in the hold, but a couple of bottles of vodka in your hand should be ok?....though with Ryanair who bloody knows, you may have to include them in your 1 carry on bag....man I hate those f*ckers, but nobody else flies to Bristol!

Edited by Toilet Duck

"Excuse me driver, we want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here, and we want them now."

"Tesco ok?

"yeah."

oooooo and

Look at him! Look at Jeff Woad. His head must weight twenty pounds on its own! Imagine the size of his balls... Imagine getting into a fight with the f**ker!

Don't forget the 'no glass on site' rule if you're stocking up on duty free at the airport or hitting an off licence/supermarket for spirits on the way to the site. If they find it on you at the gate it'll be confiscated.

I guess when buying the booze you could also buy a few litres of the cheapest water you can find, dump the water and decant the booze before you get to the gates.

Don't buy your booze in Ireland, you'll pay double the price. A lot of supermarkets' are licenced to sell booze 24/7, so I'd say that was your best bet. You can get a crate of 18 for about £7 now-a-days in Tesco. With the weakness of the Pound at the moment, it's defintately best to wait until you get to the UK, 99.9% of the time, it'll be even cheaper that the duty-free in Dublin.

Edited by barnaby cringle

Most places sell booze from 8am legally on weekdays.