"Scaremongering"

Guest Forever_Reeling

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree. It's like we're living in an episode of 24!!

Some facts... as far as I know Swine Flu is no worse than Flu that probably half of us get each year. In terms of symptoms.

The only difference is that it's a strain that originated in Pigs so our bodies are not able to fight is off as we would normal Flu. Hence it should be more contagious than normal Flu.

Similarly vaccines that old people and athsmatics get each year don't work.

Only 168 people have actually died of this in Mexico... as well as 1 in USA. No other countries have any deaths. Really... more people have probably died of eating a dodgy curry since I've type this message up.

I've been watchng Sky and the BBC, and all I've seen or heard (mostly) is the bare facts. I haven't seen much of this hysteria that's been talked about. I think most of the scaremongering is going on in places like this forum.

This IS a new scenario. The only scary thing is that the experts keep saying "we don't know yet".. which is a bit scary, but what else are they supposed to say?

Eveeryone seems to be giving the media a hard time for scarmongering over swine flu.

I've seen many say this is exactly what happened before, and we were told everyone was gonna die from bird flu.

This just simplt isn't true - bird flu only affected birds. Bird flu was a warning that the virus is one step away from mutating to infect humans.

Well now that mutation has happened - THAT'S THE DIFFERENCE.

It would be terrible if events such as glasto were cancelled, but please don't dismiss is as simple scaremongering. What's happening now is unprecedented.

sersiously, yesterday the BBC (an organisation that i used to respect) when covering the ONE infection in a scotish school went with a 'public reaction' piece where a little girl of no more than 11 years was crying in fear for her friend and herself

how, in the name of the flying spaghetti monster, does that relate to sensible and responsible reporting.

the news reports had reduced a child to shaking with fear

it f**ks me off and im tired of it

i have no problem with the news reporting FACTS, and issuing appropriate warnings and advice, but the outrageous way this has been reported to turn it into yet another 'human story' is bordering on fiction!!

Eveeryone seems to be giving the media a hard time for scarmongering over swine flu.

I've seen many say this is exactly what happened before, and we were told everyone was gonna die from bird flu.

This just simplt isn't true - bird flu only affected birds. Bird flu was a warning that the virus is one step away from mutating to infect humans.

Well now that mutation has happened - THAT'S THE DIFFERENCE.

It would be terrible if events such as glasto were cancelled, but please don't dismiss is as simple scaremongering. What's happening now is unprecedented.