"Scaremongering"

Guest Forever_Reeling

Eveeryone seems to be giving the media a hard time for scarmongering over swine flu.

I've seen many say this is exactly what happened before, and we were told everyone was gonna die from bird flu.

This just simplt isn't true - bird flu only affected birds. Bird flu was a warning that the virus is one step away from mutating to infect humans.

Well now that mutation has happened - THAT'S THE DIFFERENCE.

It would be terrible if events such as glasto were cancelled, but please don't dismiss is as simple scaremongering. What's happening now is unprecedented.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eveeryone seems to be giving the media a hard time for scarmongering over swine flu.

I've seen many say this is exactly what happened before, and we were told everyone was gonna die from bird flu.

This just simplt isn't true - bird flu only affected birds. Bird flu was a warning that the virus is one step away from mutating to infect humans.

It would be terrible if events such as glasto were cancelled, but please don't dismiss is as simple scaremongering. What's happening now is unprecedented.

The fact remains, the Festival is just under 2 months away. A lot can and will happen. Whilst one possibility is a serious case, another equally likely situation will be similar to what happened with Bird flu ie. nothing.

There's no point speculating about it now, its too long away. As far as I'm concerned, the festival is going ahead until I'm told otherwise

Edited by Alcatraz

I COMPLETELY agree!

I started the 'mass gatherings' post and was disappointed to see so many people playing this off as just media hype. Heck, Ed209 even swore at me and was rude which just goes to demonstrate some peoples knowledge.

Alot of this IS media hype, we all know that... but this flu seems to be a mix of avian flu, human flu and swine flu all mixed together. This is bigger than the last outbreak which was just bird/avian flu.

The superpower governments have jumped on this and there has been alot of broadcasts from them, no, not the 'news' - the government. They do seem to be preparing for something big and the threat level as of today is currently 1 notch from the highest. They say a pandemic is virtually a sure thing - but again, kow your facts. A pandemic can mean it is worldwide, it does not have to mean it will wipe out half the human race.

pan⋅dem⋅ic

   /pænˈdɛmɪk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [pan-dem-ik] Show IPA

–adjective

1. (of a disease) prevalent throughout an entire country, continent, or the whole world; epidemic over a large area.

I do question just how it mutated like this as this does seem to be alot scarier than the outbreak of swine flu back in 1976.

Anyway, you peeps got a choice. A)Keep listening and researching, be aware and smart in your thinking. B)Dismiss it all and put the blinkers back on.

Whether this is something big or not is besides my point, I am merely saying thayt I prefer to be educated and make my own mind up and dont choose to believe everything Sky News tells me - but equally dont just dismiss it.

I have my own thoughts on how this problem arrived with us and just what caused it to happen, but that is not for the Glasto forum as it would be off topic.

I would not say that it is unprecedented, but it IS unprecedented for our technology level and society. The US have apparently already got FedEx on government standby to delliver emergency medical supplied across the states.

Anyway, I bloomin' love Glasto - its brillo! I dont wanna see it cancelled and I really do hope this flu thing goes away. Nobody mentioning the credit crunch lately - a slight of hand misdirection maybe? Aw no - I will shut up now, Zip it! ;-)

Totally agree. It's like we're living in an episode of 24!!

Some facts... as far as I know Swine Flu is no worse than Flu that probably half of us get each year. In terms of symptoms.

The only difference is that it's a strain that originated in Pigs so our bodies are not able to fight is off as we would normal Flu. Hence it should be more contagious than normal Flu.

Similarly vaccines that old people and athsmatics get each year don't work.

Only 168 people have actually died of this in Mexico... as well as 1 in USA. No other countries have any deaths. Really... more people have probably died of eating a dodgy curry since I've type this message up.

If there was a worldwide epidemic and basically everyone became suseptible... it would only kill vulnerable groups... eg Old people or already ill people. I know... not exactly a pleasant scenario but arguably nature doing what it does.

And even then it may not even be that bad as I believe that as a Flu bug is passed on it weakens with every carrier it passes through. Hence Flu epidemics tend to end as people become infected, recover and their body learns how to cope with it.

Then we have the bird flu episode... I mean what the hell was all that about. And Sars... really we do go totally overboard with all of this. The papers and even televised media should be ashamed of the level of publicity they are giving this story.

for a kick off, head over here for this sort of thing /index.php?showtopic=119651&pid=2740053&st=160&#entry2740053">http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/index.p...p;#entry2740053

and secondly, the amount of hysteria, media coverage and general lazy reporting is ASTONISHING, when you consider the numers affected

but thats for another thread!!

Edited by Forever_Reeling

I do agree that the media coverage has been OTT. I just find it bizarre that people come out with sarcastic statements like 'apparantly we're all gonna die.' Not one media outlet has ever said that.

sersiously, yesterday the BBC (an organisation that i used to respect) when covering the ONE infection in a scotish school went with a 'public reaction' piece where a little girl of no more than 11 years was crying in fear for her friend and herself

how, in the name of the flying spaghetti monster, does that relate to sensible and responsible reporting.

the news reports had reduced a child to shaking with fear

it f**ks me off and im tired of it

i have no problem with the news reporting FACTS, and issuing appropriate warnings and advice, but the outrageous way this has been reported to turn it into yet another 'human story' is bordering on fiction!!

If there was a worldwide epidemic and basically everyone became suseptible... it would only kill vulnerable groups... eg Old people or already ill people. I know... not exactly a pleasant scenario but arguably nature doing what it does.