Castle Cary to Glasto Shuttlebus

Guest Phil-itfc

We were there for hours last year because there had been a fire on the route down to the festival! Gutting! Luckily it was damn fine weather but knowing we were so close to the festival and couldn't do anything about it was pretty bad.

We started queing about 6.30am to get out on the Monday last year and we were queing for about a hour.

The year before we started queing about 10am and we were queing for absolutely ages.

Just out of interest, has anyone had issues with delays with shuttle bus to station leading to catching the wrong train for your advanced restricted ticket? Are the train lot understanding about this sort of thing, or will they throw the book at you and charge for additional ticket? It would be annoying to have to leave hours spare for the shuttle just to make sure you end up on the right train...

Best advice is to definitely put down your bags while you queue and kick them along as you shuffle round - it's a horrid snake/pig pen style queue system. Otherwise you'll have no energy to get to tent pitch place when you get on site. Sorry to be doom and gloom, but I wish I'd been prepared for it last year and then at least I'd have expected it. I just wanted to get there! But you will get there and of course it will be worth it. :P

I went down by train in 2005, arrived in Castle Cary about 5pm and got straight on a bus, took about 35 mins to get to the site

then on Monday morning - mustve been about 11am - we only queued for about 10 mins, onto a bus, then the queue at Castle Cary was only about 20 mins

Perhaps I was extremely lucky, cos I have heard some horror stories regarding queue times and missed trains, but I guess it's your donald duck

driving down this year. Just got to remember to switch off the radio so the battery doesnt die like in 2002 :P

Edited by tarff26

Just out of interest, has anyone had issues with delays with shuttle bus to station leading to catching the wrong train for your advanced restricted ticket? Are the train lot understanding about this sort of thing, or will they throw the book at you and charge for additional ticket? It would be annoying to have to leave hours spare for the shuttle just to make sure you end up on the right train...

• 13 years later...

2022 update - the shuttle for the return journey was an absolute nightmare. The queue was over a mile long and took 90 minutes. We left the site at 12pm on the Monday and by the time we got to castle Cary we were advised to not queue for the direct one to London but to go via bath. It took us over 8 hours to get back home to London in the end. 

Would not recommend for returning.

On 6/29/2022 at 11:10 PM, GraceC said:

2022 update - the shuttle for the return journey was an absolute nightmare. The queue was over a mile long and took 90 minutes. We left the site at 12pm on the Monday and by the time we got to castle Cary we were advised to not queue for the direct one to London but to go via bath. It took us over 8 hours to get back home to London in the end. 

wow nightmare  I walked passed that queue on the way for my coach back to Manchester.....crazy

I was making my way back to N Wales.  I did consider catching the shuttle and then train back to Wales earlier as my coach didn't leave til 3pm.  I didn't get back to N Wales until midnight 😞

On 6/29/2022 at 11:10 PM, GraceC said:

Tbf, 12 on Monday is absolute prime time for people leaving the site and if you leave then you are going to be in a hell of a queue. 

Leaving then was asking for trouble.