appropriate footwear..

Guest punkincowcat

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got stuck in mud at Leeds last year and it just sucked the wellies off my feet, so I've bought some decent walking boots, they were £40 Regattas from TK Maxx which I thought was a good price, and they fit my wide feet too, making them extremely comfortable. I've got some gaiters to go with them (£10 in Mountain Warehouse) so I should be dandy, hopefully! Taking Crocs as well just in case we're lucky though :rolleyes:

My wellies were the Crocs Georgies, can't wear normal ones due to having wide feet and chunky calves, just can't get the bloody things on! Love em loads, but if I'm going to lose them in knee deep mud then there's not much point taking them.

Ok haven't read all of this so might be repeating people...

With dms, it all depends how worn in they are (how soft the leather is), and how comfortable you find them (have you worn them for long periods before?). I find mine really comfortable for a day, but when I've worn them for a few days in a row my feet REALLY hurt. If they rub or are at all uncomfortable then I'd say don't bring them. They're really heavy to bring if you won't get good use out of them.

For festivals, I have to say I prefer wellies. Not to be rude, but wellie comfort largely depends on the size of leg compared to wellie... too tight and they will rub, too loose and the movement is sloppy and uncomfortable. I can't recommend long, comfy socks and leg warmers in wellies enough! Wellies will dry if they get wet, and clean off easier than dms, which might get clogged with mud. Stupid reason I know, but I also feel cleaner in the loos with wellies on, if my calf were to inadvertantly touch a surface it would be encased in rubber, and they just seem more impenetrable to dirty things...!

Also, as I realised from own experience, mud can mean ruining/loss of shoes, and in an unfortunate incident my dm got stuck and, being somewhat intoxicated, I carried on, it came off and from what I can gather sunk... and was never found. Wellies are harder to lose in such a situation and much less upsetting and expensive to damage/misplace! But wellies do get stuck much more easily, and with tied up shoes, it's easier to yank your foot out.

Edit: But of course it's not going to rain this year, so most of that is irrelevant!

Edited by flibbitybob

For festivals, I have to say I prefer wellies. ... Stupid reason I know, but I also feel cleaner in the loos with wellies on, if my calf were to inadvertantly touch a surface it would be encased in rubber, and they just seem more impenetrable to dirty things...!

I wore a new pair of Docs last year.... not a great idea. Blisters gallore. However a nice worn in pair of DM's will serve you well. The only danger is that your feet may overheat.

My boyfriend usually goes for proper hiking boots and has no complaints. Wellies are well and good, but they don't support your feet very well which may affect your stamina.

• 2 weeks later...

did take wellies last year but struggled on friday with the sticky mud, put my walking boots on and they were ace comfy and waterproof, think i still have a bit of glasto mud still on them ha !

I've always worn Docs, and will probably continue to. I worry that if I wore wellies I'd get blisters. Which reminds me - if you do go for Docs or walking boots, make sure they're worn in before you go. Glasto is not a good place to be trying a new pair of shoes.

I'm intrigued by these beauties:

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/...FTOKEN=90837310

... and now I come to think about it, a conventional pair of wetsuit boots might fit the bill, rain or shine... Hmm...

I'm getting a new pair of hiking boots this week but don't really fancy having to break them in anyone got any tips to make this easier? All I know is the slow way gradually getting used to them.

But I have been told that soaking leather boots in water with them on then walking till they dry speeds this up (at least with army boots) but I don't fancy trashing a new pair which cost the best part of 80 quid.

Im sure the sales assistant will give some advice aswell.

I'm getting a new pair of hiking boots this week but don't really fancy having to break them in anyone got any tips to make this easier? All I know is the slow way gradually getting used to them.

But I have been told that soaking leather boots in water with them on then walking till they dry speeds this up (at least with army boots) but I don't fancy trashing a new pair which cost the best part of 80 quid.

Im sure the sales assistant will give some advice aswell.

After going for wellies at Glasto and Leeds last year I decided this year I'd had enough - my lovely green dunlops were marvellous when it was lashing down and a bit on the chilly side, but when the sun came out it was a whole new barrel of fun. Not only did they keep getting pulled off (**Cackle**) by the sticky mud but also I think I became the British Lower Leg Sweating Champion 2008 which was pretty uncomfortable. When the sun decided to come out my feet over heated! So this year I've opted for a pair of ex army boots (already broken in) purchased this afternoon. I understand the issues around laces etc but when the time comes to take them off I very much doubt I'll give a monkeys due to signification brown booze consumption.

If you're looking for a place to buy any army surplus stuff in London I can thoroughly recommend the Army & Navy surplus store on The Cut near Waterloo - the bloke there has loads of stuff crammed into a rather small shop and he's a really nice guy too - not to mention a pretty spectacular 'tache!

I'd say go for boots over wellies!

Edited by gReG s

Am I the only person who is always fine with wellies?!

I didn't think that boots would make much difference in terms of not getting stuck in the mud? I did at one point get so stuck in some mud watching the Ting Tings that I had to actually pull my leg with both hands to get myself free of the mud! :P

Am I the only person who is always fine with wellies?!

I didn't think that boots would make much difference in terms of not getting stuck in the mud? I did at one point get so stuck in some mud watching the Ting Tings that I had to actually pull my leg with both hands to get myself free of the mud! :ph34r:

but youf foot won't come out of boots when they're stuck in the mud, unlike wellies. imagine the scenario: getting stuck in the mud you pull up with your foot, but your foot comes out of the welly and to stop yourself falling over you have to put your besocked foot into the mud :lol:

but youf foot won't come out of boots when they're stuck in the mud, unlike wellies. imagine the scenario: getting stuck in the mud you pull up with your foot, but your foot comes out of the welly and to stop yourself falling over you have to put your besocked foot into the mud :(