appropriate footwear..

Guest punkincowcat

It is a conundrum. As people have said above, wellies are very uncomfy if worn for a long time, although long socks certainly help avoid welly-rub. But the soles are rubbish and I really felt all the pebbles in the ground, which I don't notice in DMs.

But... my big problem with DMs and similar is the laces. If it's muddy, you have to get your hands all muddy undoing the laces. And the laces get all stiff with mud, and you have to tug and pull each bit through each hole so you can get your feet out, which prolongues the muddy hand situation. And if you have to get up in the middle of the night to trek to the toilets you have to tug at the muddy laces again to make them wide enough to get your feet in and your hands get all muddy again. (I love Glasto mud of course - but the muddy laces onto hands things is too much for me). Wellies are better for this and you can get them on and off without any muddy hands.

And crimsonking is so so right about compeed blister plasters. They are a lifesaver.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In dry weather I wear my Crocs by day and my Hunters by night. This is only because my toes get cold up at the Stone Circle. If its wet ( which its not going to be this year B) ) I then wear my Hunters. Its well worth splashing (lol) out on a good pair of wellies. I have had my Hunters for 4 years and they are still so comfortable.

I dunno, i'd imagine i probably do, staying right on the edge of the glasgow postcode-area before you get to invey-nae-where, prolly worth a look about there is plenty of feilds (and a couple of country parks) about here, would they just be under "farm shops" in the yellow pages or summit?

In dry weather I wear my Crocs by day and my Hunters by night. This is only because my toes get cold up at the Stone Circle. If its wet ( which its not going to be this year B) ) I then wear my Hunters. Its well worth splashing (lol) out on a good pair of wellies. I have had my Hunters for 4 years and they are still so comfortable.

Which Hunters? I tried on almost all of the Hunters range on Saturday, and I liked the cheapest original the best. The Balmoral ones were heavier but had a better (more comfortable) sole with more cushioning.

They only had the original ones in original green or black, I thought maybe black, but couldn't decide! :(

if you can't stand wellies, like me, i'd recommend a good pair of hiking boots, i got some gore-tex ones last year for £55 (reduced from £95) from gooutdoors.co.uk. they're so comfy i wear them all the time; hell, i'm wearing them now!

you can get a good pair for less than that though, hi-tek are a decent budget brand.

Which Hunters? I tried on almost all of the Hunters range on Saturday, and I liked the cheapest original the best. The Balmoral ones were heavier but had a better (more comfortable) sole with more cushioning.

They only had the original ones in original green or black, I thought maybe black, but couldn't decide! :lol:

Woo lots of replies! been reading all the advice/personal experiences and still dont know what to take.. I already have converse and high dm boots but should I ditch the dms and buy wellies? decisions decisions!! I guess its each to their own and everyone has there own preference but I just wish I could make up my mind..

Talk to the medical teams and they end up treating quite a lot of people for 'Welly Rash' where the top of their wellies rub their legs.

This was particularly a problem a couple of years ago when the heavy rain turned everything to mud. By mid morning it was glorious sunshine but very muddly so people were walking around in shorts and wellies and the wellies really did their legs in.

Best bet is a decent pair of walking boots.

if its heavy rain forecast i will take my wellies and hiking boots. Although i want to invest in some waterproof boots, bit like doc martins, but army issue. had a pair in 2005, comfortable and dry all week.

if its meant to be sunny, still take wellies and boots just incase but also some flip flops for wandering.

Woo lots of replies! been reading all the advice/personal experiences and still dont know what to take.. I already have converse and high dm boots but should I ditch the dms and buy wellies? decisions decisions!! I guess its each to their own and everyone has there own preference but I just wish I could make up my mind..

I think you're right, it really is up to personal preferance, and personaly i would advise anyone against taking anything for the mud that involves laces... too much hassle with ultra mud, i even seen one of my mates sleeping in his tent with his feet sticking out because he couldnt be arsed with getting through the mud to the laces, his feet didnt look too healthy after he finnaly took them things off to change his socks lol
Edited by pezzypops

that's why i've got a pair of gore-tex gaiters to go over my gore-tex hiking boots.

my feet stay dry, warm and comfortble no matter how far i've walked, and the laces stay free of mud and the gaiters are easy to remove as they have a zip on the back.

IntegraleVENTShortieGaiters.jpg