appropriate footwear..

Guest punkincowcat

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep a pair of wellies in the car in case of biblical flooding but have honestly never needed to go back for them. (Although I couldn't get a ticket in 2005 - would've needed them then I think - but only for a day)

I have a £20 pair of canvas walking boots (didn't need breaking in) from army surplus. I have worn them to a fair few Glastonburies including 98 & 2007. They have lasted well.

I find that the clay forms a kind of waterproof coating so that the mud doesn't soak through. I also found that in 2007 I had a lot more stamina than many other people because they support my feet so well and I didn't succumb to tired legs so much. They are definitely better for not getting stuck in the mud.

The laces thing is icky but it is only twice a day and quickly sorted if you have some wet wipes to hand. The "put 2 carrier bags over your hands" idea is brilliant - I had never thought of that and will use it! (if needed which of course it won't be!). I do remember in 98 finding putting my boots back on if I wanted the loo in the middle of the night was a nightmare - but now I have discovered the trusty fabric conditioner bottle and nightime expeditions across a muddy field are a thing of the past!

Someone said that there is only a narrow range of weather that walking boots work in - this is the opposite of my experience. I think walking boots work for a wider range of weather than any other footwear. I wear them right through to very very muddy (including that slushy stuff that looks like diahhroea that you get at The Park and around the Avalon and John Peel stages) and would only switch to wellies for actual rivers and lakes of proper water. I'll also stay in them for pretty good weather because they are so comfotable for all the walking and the uneven ground - only switching to pumps or trainers for a proper heatwave!

For me the only advantage of wellies in mud (rather than standing water) is that they look good with shorts or a mini skirt but I would rather look less good and enjoy myself more! In fact - "enjoying yourself" is a pretty good look mostly I think!

Sorry - what a long post considering I have nothing new to say! I must have some deep seated Glasto footwear fetish.

its happened to me. i took my dad's wellies in 2007 and only when i put them on i realised there was a hole in one of them. i had to wear a tesco bag on my foot inside the welly to stop my foot getting wet. then my foot came out of the ggod one so both of my feet were wet.

i prefer hiking boots so much more than wellies. my feet get cold in wellies and the soles are too hard :blink:

Edited by r0cky

Someone said that there is only a narrow range of weather that walking boots work in - this is the opposite of my experience. I think walking boots work for a wider range of weather than any other footwear. I wear them right through to very very muddy (including that slushy stuff that looks like diahhroea that you get at The Park and around the Avalon and John Peel stages) and would only switch to wellies for actual rivers and lakes of proper water. I'll also stay in them for pretty good weather because they are so comfotable for all the walking and the uneven ground - only switching to pumps or trainers for a proper heatwave!
Edited by r0cky