appropriate footwear..

Guest punkincowcat

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive always worn doc martens and have never got wet feet good grip in the mud,although last year by the sunday they were getting uncomfortable but that could have been due to the hill of death to get to the camper van field ive brought some waterproof/breathable walking boots for this year

Talk to the medical teams and they end up treating quite a lot of people for 'Welly Rash' where the top of their wellies rub their legs.

This was particularly a problem a couple of years ago when the heavy rain turned everything to mud. By mid morning it was glorious sunshine but very muddly so people were walking around in shorts and wellies and the wellies really did their legs in.

Best bet is a decent pair of walking boots.

I'm firmly in the "no to wellies" camp. Having worn them for far too long in 05 and 07 I came to the view that while they do keep mud/water out they absolutely kill your feet.

I'm not really prepared to invest in a proper pair of hiking boots, so last year I just took my trainers and a pair of 15 quid Winter Boots (ie the ones designed for walking in light snow) which got a lot of sceptical responses on here. They tend to be mostly waterproof, go up quite a bit higher than regular walking boots, but tend to fit much better than any Wellies and have much more suitable soles.

Only reservations I've got are that they probably wouldn't cope with standing in a pool of water, and that they tend to be designed to keep heat in which would get irritating if it's hot. Both of which I think are avoidable even in a bad year.

Admittedly they weren't properly tested last year, but they coped more than well enough with the little mud we did have so I'll be repeated the experiment this time round.

Talk to the medical teams and they end up treating quite a lot of people for 'Welly Rash' where the top of their wellies rub their legs.

This was particularly a problem a couple of years ago when the heavy rain turned everything to mud. By mid morning it was glorious sunshine but very muddly so people were walking around in shorts and wellies and the wellies really did their legs in.

Best bet is a decent pair of walking boots.

Mate wellies are only good for pottering about the garden in for an hour or so, or taking the dog out for a walk in, not 5 days of a festival, no matter how chic and trendy certain celebs try to make them look. My advice, invest in a decent pair of walking boots and a pair of gaiters. Get the walking boots worn in first though.

Both and a decent pair of sandals as it may be dry all week.

The thought of my nose being less than six feet away from my feet after one hot day in walking boots is bad enough. :D

Plenty of good socks is almost as important as quality boots.

Either walking boots with a pair of Gaitors or Wellies with knee length socks are essential if you get more than a couple of hours rain. That or just don't give a sh@t like a lot of people :P

I have to agree. I bought myself a pair of waterproof leather ones in the sales for £30.00 and they are very comfy. What I would advise is not to buy online. You need to try on walking boots and get them well in advance because they will need breaking in, not so much if they are the canvas ones but definately if they are leather ones.

You do an awful lot of walking at Glastonbury so I wouldn't skimp on a decent pair. Your feet take a battering and being able to wear a pair of boots all week with no pain or discomfort is bliss!

My mate reckons he walks about 25-30 miles during Glastonbury !

Plus with all the dancing , and standing around , your legs get some use !

:P

Edited by DaveMac

Most of our group are reasonably fit. One however , has a love of pies !

The cries of "OOOOOOh my calfs ! " , reverberated around Big Ground on a regular basis, along with

"Can we have a sit down and a roll up ? " as we were wandering !!!

That , and he bust my camping chair , trying to squeeze into it !

:P

I have a pair of Viper Tactical boots, they are waterproof, flexible and uber comfy.

Viper

I did all three festivals in them last year, never let me down, in fact it was a pain to take them off as they where so comfy.

I also walk a great deal "practice for Glasto is essential if you are not used to it by the way as previously stated" and they never caused me the slightest issue.

I have bad ankles and for those with feet ailments I can not recommend these enough. They have a bridge supporting antibacterial foam inner sole that moulds to the foot. and as yet has not shown any signs of wear.

If you do the lasses tight up they support the ankles without feeling squashed.

However it is a personal choice but I am deffo not a wellies man, they just do not support the feet in anyway.