you can do better than that glasto

Guest richybear

Just because band members are young, does not mean the band is doing anything fresh or new. Last year I spent most of Sat afternoon at t'Other stage. The kids loved the Wombatts, god bless 'em. Out of all the performances I saw, I'd say it was The Wombatts who got the most youthful audience. Just what precisely, is fresh, genre defining, innovative about The Wombatts? Quite understandably, teens tend to be a fan of young bands, but these young bands very often are following where hundreds have gone before.

Jay-Z took to the stage, a guy in his 40's who's been in the limelight for just under 15 years. Again, there is nothing new about his music or his style. Glastonbury has propelled him to a new level of fame in the UK, before that he was just another rapper. Without all the hype and criticism prior to his performance, it wouldn't have been so eventful.

Most of my favourite artists are from the 90s. While you may agree or disagree, I think these are still some of the most innovative, genre bending and creative people around today; Bjork, Massive Attack, Tricky, Radiohead etc etc. Their age is not intrinsically linked to their ability to do something knew.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved taking mine to his first one, and after 3 with him now he seems like as much of a veteran as me. The one thing that is really hard though, is to stand back and let them discover it for themselves - when you know theres something really cool just round the corner and they just turn and wander off in the opposite direction! He got really pissed off with me going "If you go this way....." and I got really pissed off with him going round in bloody circles!

In the end we went off on our own for a few hours on day 2 so that I could visit the places I wanted to, and he could get lost on his own for a few hours. After that we were fine!

Last year was fantastic! what a buzz

The new hip glastonbury with the coolest bands for young people.

So this year it sells out fast and then.....................there's a bunch of old people headlining glastonbury :lol:

So come on glasto! wow us with hip hop don't stop banging up to date bands that are now, for the young people :)

Im not sure what you mean by "glasto clash"

I think the choice is what makes it so great ... Theres always going to be a few things at glasto that arn't my cuppa tea ... but its no problem and I dont find myself dreading anything either, if I did I wouldn't keep going.

I go to see and do the bits I like, try new things and enjoy myself to the max..... dosn't bother me what the rest of the festival goers are doing ??

I understand peoples grievances. While I am very very excited with the current line up, i am a little disapointed with the lack of 'yoof' in the line up/romoured line up. The could well be called 'The festival of Proforming Dad Rock bands'! Not that I have a problem with this!

My view of things (I'm 25):

Before the festival last year Eavis spoke of pulling in the younger crowd, (to the annoyance of some oldies feeling less welcome), and the lineup reflected that imo being very comtemporary.

have a look, especially the friday pyramid, the other stage, park etc:

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/glastonbury/2008/

I think last year was successful in bringing in the new crowd (who will return), but I think GFL also won't want to lose the older generation that has always supported the festival, and so need to make them feel there's adequate acts to cater for them also.

The younger generation are more than catered for at glastonbury imo with the other stage, john peel stage, park stage, bbc introducing etc, all weighted heavily towards modern bands. The pyramid is probably 60-70% contemporary aswell, and even the jazzworld has snippets (eg estelle and lupe fiasco last year).

Whilst the jazzworld, acoustic and avalon is perhaps more weighted the other way, logistically with two of those being tents, the larger acts couldn't play them, but the older generation shouldn't feel excluded of the chance to have the bigger acts that will appeal more to them. Whilst the jazzworld is pretty big, it's not got the capacity of the pyramid or other, so logistically the same problems would exist.

I'm guessing this year GFL are looking more for a 50/50 split on the pyramid which I think will be fairer.

...and at the end of the day, how many more new bands are there, than older acts still going/reformed....there'll be loads for those worried currently and if not go to the circus tent and watch a trapeze artist doing the hula hoop one footed on a tightrope whilst playing a stunning violin solo....one of the best things I've seen at glasto!!! :angry:

.....I can guarantee that the older generation acts will be a very small proportion compared to contempary acts once all is announced.

*Please don't take any of that above to reflect that generations can't appreciate new/old music*

My view of things (I'm 25):

Before the festival last year Eavis spoke of pulling in the younger crowd, (to the annoyance of some oldies feeling less welcome), and the lineup reflected that imo being very comtemporary.

have a look, especially the friday pyramid, the other stage, park etc:

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/glastonbury/2008/

I think last year was successful in bringing in the new crowd (who will return), but I think GFL also won't want to lose the older generation that has always supported the festival, and so need to make them feel there's adequate acts to cater for them also.

The younger generation are more than catered for at glastonbury imo with the other stage, john peel stage, park stage, bbc introducing etc, all weighted heavily towards modern bands. The pyramid is probably 60-70% contemporary aswell, and even the jazzworld has snippets (eg estelle and lupe fiasco last year).

Whilst the jazzworld, acoustic and avalon is perhaps more weighted the other way, logistically with two of those being tents, the larger acts couldn't play them, but the older generation shouldn't feel excluded of the chance to have the bigger acts that will appeal more to them. Whilst the jazzworld is pretty big, it's not got the capacity of the pyramid or other, so logistically the same problems would exist.

I'm guessing this year GFL are looking more for a 50/50 split on the pyramid which I think will be fairer.

...and at the end of the day, how many more new bands are there, than older acts still going/reformed....there'll be loads for those worried currently and if not go to the circus tent and watch a trapeze artist doing the hula hoop one footed on a tightrope whilst playing a stunning violin solo....one of the best things I've seen at glasto!!! :angry:

.....I can guarantee that the older generation acts will be a very small proportion compared to contempary acts once all is announced.

*Please don't take any of that above to reflect that generations can't appreciate new/old music*

Ok.... think i may keep my opinions to myself in the future.

I have to admit that the whole verve thing was very relevant and made me think twice, as well as the tickets being available in HMV etc which i admitedly didnt take into account, and most of the comments on here are interesting, but seriosly, calling my opinions bollocks, thats just truly dumb, even if you think im wrong.

edit. i also hate dizzy rascal and lady gaga :angry:

Edited by cossie65

Last year was fantastic! what a buzz

The new hip glastonbury with the coolest bands for young people.

So this year it sells out fast and then.....................there's a bunch of old people headlining glastonbury :lol:

So come on glasto! wow us with hip hop don't stop banging up to date bands that are now, for the young people :(