Electric Picnic 2009

Guest daretheghost

I don't really like the sound of that article. I like to go to a festival in Europe to see the Oxegen type bands and avoid the oxegen type crowd and then go to EP for the whole EP vibe. If they change it it just wont be the same. Maybe this year will be fine but over the next few years the festival could end up being destroyed.

• 3 weeks later...

2 MANY DJS, ABC, ALABAMA 3, BASEMENT JAXX, BAT FOR LASHES, BELL X1, BILLY BRAGG, CHIC, CHRIS CUNNINGHAM (LIVE SHOW), DAMIEN DEMPSEY, DUBLIN GOSPEL CHOIR, ECHO & THE BUNNYMEN, EFTERKLANG, EROL ALKAN, ESG, EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY, FLAMING LIPS, FLEET FOXES, FOUR TET, HALFSET, HEARTBREAK, IMELDA MAY, JAPE, JAZZANOVA (LIVE), KLAXONS, LISA HANNIGAN, LOW ANTHEM, LYKKE LI, MADNESS, MAGAZINE, MAGNOLIA ELECTRIC CO, MGMT, MICACHU, MICHAEL NYMAN ORCHESTRA, MODERAT, NOZE, OKKERVIL RIVER, ORBITAL, QUANTIC SOUL ORCHESTRA, RODRIGO Y GABRIELA, ROOTS MANUVA, SEASICK STEVE, SIMIAN MOBILE DISCO (LIVE), SKREAM & BENGA, THE SUGARHILL GANG THE WALKMEN, TUNNG, VILLAGERS, WHITEST BOY ALIVE, ZERO 7.

Ticket - 240E which works out at £212!

Looks quality though

There were early bird tickets for sale at 199euro previously. You might get a few people trying to fob them off at that price in the next short while if you are lucky. Everyone is a bit anxious now Festival Republic have their talons into the picnic but in general its been excellent every year and a far cry from Oxegen.

It's expensive but worth it. Not just the music but the other stuff like spoken word and comedy etc. I think there is even a cookery stage and there is a chapel to get married. Best festival i've ever been to and a strong lineup so far. For those of you hoping Fleetwood Mac will headline (like me) well there is some bad news:

Cant post a link but this is from the Phantom 105.2 website (Dublin Indie station)

Organisers of Electric Picnic say some of the rumours in the run up the lineup announcement were absolute rubbish.

The Flaming Lips, Orbital and MGMT are among the acts who'll play this year's festival.

The bill was announced yesterday and also includes Irish acts BellX1, Choice Prize winner Jape and Lisa Hannigan.

There had been rumours that Morrisey would headline, but he doesn't feature.

There are more acts in the pipeline apparently though, with Brian Wilson and Talking Heads still spinning the rumour mill.

Fleetwood Mac were hotly tipped too, however act booker Declan Forde told Phantom News most speculation is nonsense:

".....why do we comment on stuff on blogs? About two thirds of the stuff I read on blogs is not true. Fleetwood Mac have never been playing, neither was Elvis Presley or Bob Marley!"

Ah well

Edited by budgemook

I went to this Festival in 2005 and had the best time (well with Kraftwerk, Goldfrapp and The Human League playing that year I was seeing some of my fave bands from all time).

I like the line-up this year. Its not an absolutely fabulous line up compared to other gigs that are going on this summer but it is very varied and diverse.

The big problem for me is the price. It really is a mega expensive Festival. Add in the price of living over 4 days while camping, spending €5 for a pint of warm beer, eating a breakfast roll that costs about €7, etc it soon adds up.

Worth seeing this year:

CHIC - OMG!!, they are one of the bands I have to see before I die. All those funky songs and the great crowd interaction (see the live DVD from a few years ago.....magic). They really are a band that people kinda know the name of, then once they start playing you go; "I know that song"......"did they write that track?" etc

ABC - again a band that you know the name of but then once they start playing you go "Did they write that?"

Other acts I would recommend: Basement Jaxx, Bell X1, 2 Many DJ's and Orbital.