Green Man 2009

Guest Corporal Clegg

Don't think there were that many holiday tickets in the first place. I expect it to sell out beginning of August but obviously that's a guess on my part.

Tickets arrived today (except holiday tickets which will be sent on later). First Green Man so looking forward to it as we are taking the kids and going for the week as a bit of a mini holiday in the caravan.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I added this to the official forum a few hours ago and thought i'd put it up here tooo.......

As it's Monday I've been doing anything but working. Instead of plying my trade, I've been building my excitement about the festival by going through youtube and watching/listening to my top 5 must see bands as listed in a previous post.........

Blue Roses-

Four Tet-

Gang Gang Dance-

Errors-

James Yuill-

two for luck-

Andrew Bird- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFmfncE-jD0

Animal Collective-

Please add yours, it would be great to get excited about some other bands too me too you

Amazing Oblong you are a truly old skool member!! WOW, GM is a great festival I'm sure you'll really enjoy it............

Hello!!! :lol:

This is gonna be our (me & my special ladyfriend) 1st Green Man. And we are REALLY looking forward to it. Especially my ladyfriend. After getting fed up with being treated as cattle in a slaughter house at V and Reading, we are really enjoying the smaller 'boutique' festies. We LOVE Latitude. And dig summer sundae (mainly coz its so cheap!).

BUT....as this is our 1st, I/We would like some advice from experienced Green Man-ers....

So.....

1/ Is there anything to do on the thursday night? OR is it just Bars open & get merry? Should we take a book?

2/ Will we need to take food supplies (eggs, rolls, pot noodle etc) or is there a shop on site which will sell these (im not bothered about the price too much. I understand the need for 'festival tax')

3/ Where is the best place to camp? We arnt party animals, and would like a bit of sleep. BUT......we aint quiet either. We may get a little 'merry' at times and make a little too much noise. And, obviously, dont wanna offend or annoy. We are nice Guardian reader types ;p

4/ Whats the choices of spirits at the bars? My ladyfriend, bless her, is very fussy. So...is it the bog standard vodka and....thats it? Or will there be Bacardi/Pimms/a dark rum? Also, im assuming (officially) we cant take our own booze into the 'arena'. BUT.....how easy is it to sneek it in? (At latitude it were so bloody easy....)

5/ Is there any way whatsoever i could get away with not taking my wellies. Yer see, it absolutely tipped down a few times at Latitude (it were almost biblical a few times. VERY impressive). But the ground were fine!

thats it really...we aint festie virgins (My first was reading 95. yes, i am an old man). Just need a few pointers. Any other tips would be appreciated greatly. ta muchly. See you down the front for Grizzly Bear. AND The Phantom Band. And Errors. AND Peggy Sue. AND Josie Long. :angry:

You'll love Latitude - nice sized festival, with a pretty friendly crowd. In answer to some of your questions:

1) The bars open in the evening - it's a good day to get a feel for the site and have a couple of drinks outside if the weather is nice. However, with the introduction of comedy etc, maybe there will be something extra going on this year.

2) There is at least one of the 'general supply stores' You'll have seen them at other festivals yellow sign, sell everything at a bit of a mark up. However, the food stalls are pretty special too - you won't be going hungry.

3) There aren't real designated areas or zones, most of the late night partying is best done by the large communal bonfire (not near the campsite) so you shouldn't be kept awake too much (however, you never know who will pitch up next to you.

4)The bar near the courtyard used to have a good range of spirits, i'm sure I saw Sailor Jerry's last year. If you have managed to smuggle drink into the arena at Latitude, then you shouldn't have a problem with Greenman. I found security getting into the arena pretty stringent (still managed though). Greenman is more relaxed (although not condoned, and don't take glass bottles etc)

The last two years have been rainy and muddy. The hill going back from the main ampitheatre has a carpeted path as well as stone steps, however the worst part was coming up to the entrance. Worth taking some decent boots or wellies.

Have a good one!!

You'll love Latitude - nice sized festival, with a pretty friendly crowd. In answer to some of your questions:

1) The bars open in the evening - it's a good day to get a feel for the site and have a couple of drinks outside if the weather is nice. However, with the introduction of comedy etc, maybe there will be something extra going on this year.

2) There is at least one of the 'general supply stores' You'll have seen them at other festivals yellow sign, sell everything at a bit of a mark up. However, the food stalls are pretty special too - you won't be going hungry.

3) There aren't real designated areas or zones, most of the late night partying is best done by the large communal bonfire (not near the campsite) so you shouldn't be kept awake too much (however, you never know who will pitch up next to you.

4)The bar near the courtyard used to have a good range of spirits, i'm sure I saw Sailor Jerry's last year. If you have managed to smuggle drink into the arena at Latitude, then you shouldn't have a problem with Greenman. I found security getting into the arena pretty stringent (still managed though). Greenman is more relaxed (although not condoned, and don't take glass bottles etc)

The last two years have been rainy and muddy. The hill going back from the main ampitheatre has a carpeted path as well as stone steps, however the worst part was coming up to the entrance. Worth taking some decent boots or wellies.

Have a good one!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's definetly sunday night at the Far Out stage will be my highlight I think.Yellow Moon Band and Amorphous Androgenous with Hawkwind imbetween is going to be a right psychedelic trip to end the festival.Although why the legendary hawkwind are not headlining is a bit of a mystery to me.Will be missing out on The Dirty Three and Wilco which is a bit of a pain in the arse but been playing Amorphous a lot lately and they're not to be missed.

The only other likely looking clash for me will be Vetiver and Bon Iver and haven't decided yet.

Can't wait for Thursday and dare I say it a possible heatwave?!

Well it's definetly sunday night at the Far Out stage will be my highlight I think.Yellow Moon Band and Amorphous Androgenous with Hawkwind imbetween is going to be a right psychedelic trip to end the festival.Although why the legendary hawkwind are not headlining is a bit of a mystery to me.Will be missing out on The Dirty Three and Wilco which is a bit of a pain in the arse but been playing Amorphous a lot lately and they're not to be missed.

The only other likely looking clash for me will be Vetiver and Bon Iver and haven't decided yet.

Can't wait for Thursday and dare I say it a possible heatwave?!

Sunday night does indeeed look great for the Far Out stage, will somehow fit some of it around the Dirty Three who are my must-see of the weekend.

Really looking forward to the heatwave as well. Just checked out the BBC forecast and they seem to have got it all wrong and are predicting heavy rain, hurricanes and a plague of locusts.

Evening all, this is going to be my first time at Green Man. I was seduced by the setting and also a solid line-up this year. I take it from the last few posts that we can expect traditional Welsh environmental hazards (rain, wind, more rain, dragons)?

Any particular advice for a Green Man newbie? Also, any folk also attending End of the Road this year?

Evening all, this is going to be my first time at Green Man. I was seduced by the setting and also a solid line-up this year. I take it from the last few posts that we can expect traditional Welsh environmental hazards (rain, wind, more rain, dragons)?

Any particular advice for a Green Man newbie? Also, any folk also attending End of the Road this year?

Yeah i'm doing End of the Road as well but don't ask me which one I like better because I can never decide!

As far as the weather is concerned the site has terrible drainage so a single deluge of rain means a mud bath for the rest of the weekend but don't let that spoil your fun. It doesn't look like it's going to be nowhere near as bad as last year but not totally rain free.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to writing something about this years Greenman.Well another fantastic year at Greenman probably my favourite one i've been to over the last 3 visits. From the absence of no mud,the rearranging of the site and of course the music just the perfect festival.

Highlights were the psychedelic Sunday evening in the Far Out Stage with Cranium Pie,Yellow Moon Band,Amorphous Androgenous,and of course Hawkwind.Just fantastic.

Other top highlights were Wooden Shjips,Vetiver,Bon Iver,Diagonal,9 Bach and Animal Collective.

Moving the Greenman Pub stage was a great idea and worked much better.Such a great festival-love it.

• 3 weeks later...

Loved it so much too, glad you agree Corporal! The organisers really took on board some of the requests after last year's fest... There just seemed to be a whole lot more to do, so much fun and lots of open space. The best one yet and the best of the summer all in all....... I went to Bestival last weekend- It was so rammed, like Reading. I did have fun, but i won't be going again.....

Green Man 2010 !

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't been on here for ages - but HOW GOOD WAS THAT!

Highlights for me were the stunningly beautiful site, Bon Iver, Dirty Three (who I hadn't heard before but were brilliant and hilarious!), Chai Wallahs Tent, the giant Green Man and of course the sunshine!

But most of all it is the vibe - it is the friendliest, most inclusive festival I have been to for years, it really feels that you are a part of it instead of just a faceless punter.

• 3 weeks later...
Haven't been on here for ages - but HOW GOOD WAS THAT!

Highlights for me were the stunningly beautiful site, Bon Iver, Dirty Three (who I hadn't heard before but were brilliant and hilarious!), Chai Wallahs Tent, the giant Green Man and of course the sunshine!

But most of all it is the vibe - it is the friendliest, most inclusive festival I have been to for years, it really feels that you are a part of it instead of just a faceless punter.