Glastonbury food with pictures

mike99

Ive never heard of a restaurant @ Glastonbury what was it like and where is it?

Nope, it's not that. That was the Common Ground Cafe in the Acoustic Stage Field which disappeared a couple of years ago after 'issues' with their beliefs, views, publications, comments or whatever camr to light which were ultimately considered to be not in keeping with Glasto. Can't really remember what it was all about specifically TBH but I think it was basically racist and/or anti-Semitic kinda stuff from memory. Ask Mr.Google about "Glastonbury Common Ground Cafe" and/or "Twelve Tribes Community" and you'll no doubt find out the gory details eventually.

I think the Malinkeys (or whatever it was actually called) cafe/restaurant was on the left of the main drag when wandering from a Cider Bus or Meeting Point stylee location in a Bothers Bar or Jazzworld stylee direction. Just after the bridge when you get to the field where Trash City USED to be and where the famous Oggies stall is on the left (Mmmmmm, oggies lick.gif) it was kinda opposite that and near the new very small outdoor circus/theatre stage. Used to be just a cafe there with a sizeable sitty down area that was always real good for for enjoying oggies and a decent coffee from the cafe in but not last year. Looked way posher and rather more like a building so to speak. I've no idea what it was like but it sure looked good from outside anyway.

That's the place

I can't remember it's exact postion but I have a feeling it was on the main drag of stalls as you walk from the pyramid stage towards the kids field or Jazz World. I have a rubbish memory for locations but I do remember waiting for our food and watching a huge bottleneck of people trying to get over the bridge.

I don't think it had any connections with religion or anything, I'm sure the bloke that was running said they had a restaurant and that this was something new they were trying this year and that they hoped to be doing a few other festivals over the summer.

The place was fantastic though, it almost looked like a double decker bus with a tent wrapped around it and a bar just to the left of the entrance, it had 2 floors and a load of tables outside. It was a bit pricier than the other food stalls but the food was amazing (apparently they have a Michelin Starred chef in the kitchen) and I didn't think £9 for a main course was too much, especially when it was so good. I was a brilliant experience to be able to sit on the top deck, with great views, drink some really nice wine, eat some tasty food and watch the weird and wonderful sights of Glastonbury. (They also sell bottles of Champagne too, which to me sounds like a great way to relax after the stress of getting on site and finding a camping spot). My wife dragged me in because she's obsessed with cheese and they were doing a cheese board as a dessert which she just had as a main. I had black pudding with mash and apple sauce and it was out of this world. mmmmm

I hope it's back for this year as it was a real highlight for us and I've been looking forward to it for ages.

• 1 month later...
That's the place

I can't remember it's exact postion but I have a feeling it was on the main drag of stalls as you walk from the pyramid stage towards the kids field or Jazz World. I have a rubbish memory for locations but I do remember waiting for our food and watching a huge bottleneck of people trying to get over the bridge.

I don't think it had any connections with religion or anything, I'm sure the bloke that was running said they had a restaurant and that this was something new they were trying this year and that they hoped to be doing a few other festivals over the summer.

The place was fantastic though, it almost looked like a double decker bus with a tent wrapped around it and a bar just to the left of the entrance, it had 2 floors and a load of tables outside. It was a bit pricier than the other food stalls but the food was amazing (apparently they have a Michelin Starred chef in the kitchen) and I didn't think £9 for a main course was too much, especially when it was so good. I was a brilliant experience to be able to sit on the top deck, with great views, drink some really nice wine, eat some tasty food and watch the weird and wonderful sights of Glastonbury. (They also sell bottles of Champagne too, which to me sounds like a great way to relax after the stress of getting on site and finding a camping spot). My wife dragged me in because she's obsessed with cheese and they were doing a cheese board as a dessert which she just had as a main. I had black pudding with mash and apple sauce and it was out of this world. mmmmm

I hope it's back for this year as it was a real highlight for us and I've been looking forward to it for ages.

Sounds really good

Nope, it's not that. That was the Common Ground Cafe in the Acoustic Stage Field which disappeared a couple of years ago after 'issues' with their beliefs, views, publications, comments or whatever camr to light which were ultimately considered to be not in keeping with Glasto. Can't really remember what it was all about specifically TBH but I think it was basically racist and/or anti-Semitic kinda stuff from memory. Ask Mr.Google about "Glastonbury Common Ground Cafe" and/or "Twelve Tribes Community" and you'll no doubt find out the gory details eventually.

<snip>

http://www.rickross.com/reference/tribes/tribes13.html

Not nice people it seems.....

Check out the Garlic Kitchen in the market. It's one of my favourites for a quick bite. A freshly made garlic baguette with the garlic butter ladelled on hot from the pot. Their breakfast baguette is also legendary. :P

Check out the Garlic Kitchen in the market. It's one of my favourites for a quick bite. A freshly made garlic baguette with the garlic butter ladelled on hot from the pot. Their breakfast baguette is also legendary. :P

Wasn't there in 2009 looked everywhere for it :P

It is a damn shame as their tuna melts were simply delicious and right by, or rather opposite, the Red Flag real ale bar. Open 24 hours as well. The cafe that replaced it is really very poor in comparison. To be fair, I wasn't hassled by them, they never tried to convert me and I didn't read any of their literature. But fully understand why they've been banned...

I love the Thali Cafe. :P

Ditto!

We ate a meal there most days last year and very often the years before that. Always seemed to be hungry whenever we were passing it. :P

Here's a shot of the view from a table at the cafe:

4344196858_9e5d91fcc2_o.jpg

And yes, I'm spamming the forum with my photos that I finally got around to uploading. :P

Great place to eat a meal!

Not food pictures as such, but photos of good food places:

4344197022_cd08d2735e_o.jpg

Makes me hungry just looking at them. :P

Ahh, that's what it was - We we're heading upto the Stone Circle on Sunday night last year when the fire & benches outside here beckoned to us to come, get a drink, sit & rest a while. The thunder & lightning was starting to close in, then the heavens opened and everyone dived inside. It was heaving.

I had no idea what the place was, was pretty sure I hadn't even seen it before in passing, but the food smelled good!

Thanks for posting the picture :P

Do they have anywhere that sells pizza?? :P

Yes they have a few.lol

Great thanx, i'm a Glasto virgin this year and you can't beat a late night pizza lol.....

In the Greenfields is this great place with a stone oven that make your pizzas to order - Proper stoneground thin base not that c**p you get down near the pyramid and queens head stages they cheekily call pizza but is in fact all a great big think lump of bread barely dusted with cheese! The place I am talking about you place your order and they write your name on it then call you when it is ready, be prepared for a bit of a wait but so worth it.