Great Escape 2009

Guest RaymondM

Oh well, after using search I might have imagined it.

Anyways, this is my first year that I'll be going and today's lineup additions (Patrick Wolf, Slow Club, The Phantom Band) are making this look amazing. Anyone else going and what tips would people give to a newbie to the festival?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was waiting for someone to make a thread on this. I'm going with a couple of friends for the first time this year as well (We all live in Brighton/Worthing anyway so we have no excuse not to)

There's a lot of stuff I want to see already. I tried to make a Spotify list but about 60% of the bands arn't actually on Spotify which is a shame.

Just hoping for sun. Our general plan is to aim for about 2-3 bands a day and then just spend the rest of the time in the venue watching the 2 or 3 bands either side of the ones we actually came to see... never know what you might find ;)

I've been the last couple of years...an excellent event. Here are my tips...

1. Don't think you will be able to just wander between different venues catching whatever you like, it doesn't work like that. If you are planning to see an act who is likely to be popular you need to plan ahead.

For example 2 years ago I saw Adele (who was at that time unknown) and Jack Penate both playing at the Red Roaster cafe ( a tiny venue). Basically if you weren't in the queue when the doors opened you had little chance of getting in. So if there is someone you really want to see plan on getting there early and watching the bands who are on before the act you want to see...(unless you have an expensive delegate queue jumping pass that is) I heard lots of people complaining that they didn't get to see the artists they wanted to see, but personally I've never had a problem...it just takes a bit of advance planning and being prepared to be flexible. Don't expect to turn up 5 minutes before one of the bigger acts (say The Maccabees for example) and expect to get in !

2. If you don't get in to the artist you want just try something else. Part of the beauty of such events is discovering an act that are upcoming or you haven't heard of and seeing them up close before they become super stars.

3. Sign up to the text info service that is usually published on the website a few days before the event. You get to receive texts about the so called 'secret' gigs and updates on which venues are full and have capacity.

4. The event also runs daytime 'unsigned' and lesser known gigs. The bands at these tend to be of variable quality but its worth trying to catch some of these as well if you want value for money.

5. Last year in total I think I saw about 20 bands full performances,which for my 35 quid super early bird ticket was excellent value, these included Ladyhawke, Noah and The Whale, Laura Marling, Mumford and Sons, Ida Maria, and The Whip.... just those on their own justifies the ticket.

6. Enjoy.

Edited by rseamer

totally agree with rseamer. its not like your usual festival of being able to catch whoever you want whenever you want. does take a bit of thinking. if you're planning on going for the gonzo tour shows or the levis ones to watch really need to be there before doors open to catch them. but if you're well stocked beforehand makes no difference.

its an ace festival part of the fun is just listening to a load of bands beforehand. i've already got a list on the go of the new ones which sound promising.

i'm impressed by seeing 20bands last year. think i only managed about 12 but it was still worth it. keep an eye out for the secret gigs. we are scientists playing on a roof was definitely a highlight. me and my misses enjoyed it that much we sacked off glasto for this.

I went last year and it was definetly worth the money.£35 for 3 days of music!

I thought the text messaging service worked really well last year on which venues were not full and last minute changes etc.I only had one disappointment last year in not being able to see Black Mountain in Hove but I did leave it until the last minute.Apart from that no problems.Going this year as well.

I've been to all three so far, and it's all way a great three days, mixture of well known bands and great unknown gems,

i agree with previous comments, you need to plan ahead, work out the main act you want to see and if its a proper choice, make it down to the venue for when it opens and spend the whole evening in there, by doing ive seen some good bands over the years, friendly fires, broken records, kissaway trail, sunshine underground and some band called the fratellis at the first one.

• 2 weeks later...

Last year the earliest venues seemed to open their doors was 6.30pm, most of them having 4 bands on before closing up at 11pm.

This is the 2007 schedule, and 2008 seemed to run in a very similar way.

http://2007.escapegreat.com/festival/schedule/

There is - as has been mentioned - bands playing randomly at places, and on Saturday especially there're bands on in some venues during the day.

I'd also definitely agree with the planning aspect if there's someone you particularly want to see. I saw the three headliners I wanted to last year (Future of the Left, The Hold Steady and The Automatic) but for all three of them I got there the act before they were on (and for The Automatic at the start of the evening) although in all three cases I think I probably got there far earlier than I needed to.

I'd also say that familiarising yourself with a rough idea of how long it'll take you to get between venues can help with that aspect. For example the walk to the Old Market is about 10-15 minutes from Digital on the seafront - and then Concorde 2 is probably another 10-15 minute walk in the opposite direction.

Of course that's only really applicable if you have must see bands otherwise I'd reccomend just dipping in and out of venues as you see fit. Personally my list already includes The Big Pink, British Sea Power, Broken Records, Dananananaykroyd, Fight Like Apes, Future of the Left, Holy f**k, Johnny Foreigner, The Mae Shi, Metric, Patrick Wolf, Pulled Apart by Horses, Pure Reason Revolution, School of Seven Bells, and Sky Larkin that I want to see, and I know that I'll definitely miss some of them.

• 2 weeks later...

if you want a quick way of getting around venues i recommend bringing a bike. endless fun to be had cycling round like a loon in between gigs and will save loads of time. me and a few friends ride our shoddy fold-ups, as no-one in their right mind would try and nick one!

Right can somebody please explian to me how this works? iv never been and think this looks like quite a good variety of music...but just want to know where the music is all situated? is it like an outdoor festival or are the bands playing in different pubs/clubs around the town? And does the music go on all day and night?

Confuzzled!!

Right can somebody please explian to me how this works? iv never been and think this looks like quite a good variety of music...but just want to know where the music is all situated? is it like an outdoor festival or are the bands playing in different pubs/clubs around the town? And does the music go on all day and night?

Confuzzled!!

The schedules are slowly going up on the website:

Thursday - http://www.escapegreat.com/festival/schedu...ls?day=thursday

Friday - http://www.escapegreat.com/festival/schedu...ails?day=friday

Saturday -http://www.escapegreat.com/festival/schedule/display.rails?day=saturday

They're obviously incomplete at the moment (and they have changed the times round a little since I first saw them) but they should give you a good idea of where bands are playing and which day.