Ruisrock

Guest iambatwoman

Hey all

got myself a ticket for Ruisrock this year, but I'm struggling to find much information on it, the official websites not that helpful, so I have some questions for anyone who has been or is going.

1) camping and accomodation - I've emailed ruissalo camping about reserving a spot, but i've heard that places go very quickly, are there any other good places nearby? Also me and my friend were hoping to stay in Helsinki for a few days before, and good, cheap hotels around?

2) Weather - held in the first weekend of July, done some research and its meant to be the warmest month, but with thunderstorms, so sunhats or wellies?

3) tickets - I printed mine off, but slighty concerned about loosing it in between now and july, is it ok to make photocopies?

4) alcohol - not meaning to sound like some teenie whos desperate to get pissed, but are there any rules about bringing alcohol and other liquids in?

5)transport - I've heard theres a lot of buses going straight to Ruisrock, but not getting a lot of details about them, so anything would be appreciated. Also, when flying into Finland, whats the best airport to arrive in, Helsinki seems like good option, but just wondering how easy it is to get to ruissalo from there?

I have been to Download Festival before, so I know a bit about festival going, but obviously Finland is different to England, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hazel

xx

• 2 months later...

Well I also have a ticket and absolutely no idea about accommodation:) I guess the best way to go is in the camping ground, just for the atmosphere but not sure if there are places left. I'm in Helsinki at the moment, and will be here till the end of the summer so if you go by here contact me and we can go to the festival together, begin preparations on the way:)

As for alcohol, yes they're kinda strict. You cant get alcohol inside the festival grounds, you can just take empty unopened bottles of water, but there will be alcohol stands nearby.

Just write me a mail on i_anta@hotmail.com and we can get into details.

Ruisrock´s camping site is now fully booked. Went to Ruisrock last year and slept in a tent at Ruissalo Camping in Saaronniemi. http://www.turku.fi/public/?contentid=20318&nodeid=8125 It's a few kilometers away from Kansanpuisto where Ruisrock takes place, but many festival goers like to sleep there and take a bus to Kansanpuisto.

Edited by pyy

Thanks to both of you!

I managed to get the festival camping and flights done, so thats a few things sorted! The main concern now if festival buses, I don't suppose either of you had any information? Also I can only swear in Finnish, which isn't going to make me very popular if I go round shouting 'Vittu' at random strangers, I've heard most people speak English, and I'm learning the basic polite prases, but should I be concerned at all?

Ta for your help =]

Hazel

xxx

Yes, most people can English, so that won't be a problem at all :lol: You can also try vittu or perkele if you get lost, maybe someone hears and thinks this person needs some help :( I think I should learn a few swear words in Spanish, since I'm heading to Benicassim festival this year and it's been hard to get information in English. They don't speak that much English in Spain.

This information was on the website:

Ruisrock´s festival busses drive from Turku city centrum to the train station and to festival bus station. Ruisrock festival bus station is situated in the city side of the Ruissalo bridge, and from there it is a little bit less than 2 kilometer walk to the festival main entrance.

Route: Market square- Train station -Ruisrock

Busses start running Friday from 15:00 and Saturday & Sunday from 11:00 until the end.

Bus ticket costs: single drive 4 € , round trip 7 € and 3-days 11 € . Tickets are sold on buses.

From our camping area (Turkuhalli) there is a free bus to festival bus station.

Bus number 8 from Kauppatori (Market Square) to Saaronniemi is also possible. Train station and Kauppatori (Town Square) can be seen on this map: http://mars.cs.utu.fi/fintal/files/fintal_map.gif

At least it's relatively easy to pronounce (once you've managed to get the basic sounds right, anyway). But swearing shouldn't be such of a problem; drunken Finns do so all the time! 'Saatana' would also be a good one - but make sure you pronounce it differently from 'sata' ('hundred'); you might get some odd looks otherwise... :D

Anyway, Finns speak very good English; I suppose pretty much all young people I met when I lived there could converse in English (in various degrees, but anyway), so no need to worry about it. Although, of course, it's very much appreciated if you actually put an effort into knowing/speaking some Finnish. :) (perhaps in Finland even more than elsewhere, as the language is just so completely unknown and remote)