New announcement...

Guest LeeRaynor

That's a really good announcement...

Particularly happy about the Noisettes.... Jamie, the drummer, has been to the festival two years out of the last three (drumming with Fionn Regan and Dawn Landes) and he's said to me both times how he's love for his 'proper' band to play the festival....

Qemists have been getting a lot of decent press and I loved their track on a word CD a few months ago..

James Yuill's album of last year really got me hooked after a few listens...

Not an act in that list that I wouldn't want to see - problem is I know I won't be able to see all of them...

Sean

xx

The full list is (according to efestivals front page!!).

St Etienne

Noisettes,

Micachu And The Shapes,

Dan Black,

The Joy Formidable,

James Yuill,

Karima Francis,

65daysofstatic,

Frank Turner,

The Qemists,

Oi Va Voi,

Teitur,

The Jim Jones Review,

Imelda May,

and Woodpigeon.

Sarah Cracknell (lead singer of St Etienne) is more familiar to younger readers, as the singing voice for the recent top 10 single The Journey Continues" by Mark Brown which used a sample of that recent classical music piece used by Lloyds TSB on their current TV adverts. expect lots of men aged 29 to 39 to be somewhere near the st etienne set, staring wistfully at the still gorgeous miss cracknell....

Frank Turner is the rising singer / songwriter and former lead singer for Million Dead, 65daysofstatic write the ultimate in film soundtrack music. The Joy Formidable are currently tour support for Howling Bells, and soon to be out on tour with former recent SSW stars Kyte.

Edited by andyblack

The full list is :

St Etienne

Noisettes,

Micachu And The Shapes,

Dan Black,

The Joy Formidable,

James Yuill,

Karima Francis,

65daysofstatic,

Frank Turner,

The Qemists,

Oi Va Voi,

Teitur,

The Jim Jones Review,

Imelda May,

and Woodpigeon.

absolutely chuffed about saint etienne. Joy Formidable will be ace too. I liked 65daysofstatic when I saw them last so will be good to see them there.

some of the others I've not heard so will do a bit of research

Edited by Marshall

MORE ACTS ANNOUNCED

SAINT ETIENNE / NOISETTES / MICACHU AND THE SHAPES / DAN BLACK

THE JOY FORMIDABLE/ JAMES YUILL/ KARIMA FRANCIS/ 65 DAYS OF STATIC/ FRANK TURNER/ QEMISTS/ OI VA VOI/ TEITUR/ JIM JONES REVUE/ IMELDA MAY/ WOODPIGEON

Crikey blimey! When Summer Sundae Weekender promised the best in burgeoning talent they weren’t messing about! Indeed, the next spoonfuls of musical delights comprise some of the most exciting newcomers in the musical stratosphere. Having already secured the signatures of headliners Bon Iver, The Zutons, The Charlatans and The Streets some 3 weeks ago, this announcement is all about the young blood, fresh legs, as well as a real scope of musical styles from Jewish Folk to Drum’n’Bass. There’s also a very special addition of one of the most dearly loved and celebrated acts of the last 20 years. Early Bird Tickets are still available until March 31st so get in quickly to take advantage of the biggest, most exciting Summer Sundae Weekender to date.

Saint Etienne are set to light up the Summer Sundae on Saturday evening (before The Charlatans take top billing), with a greatest hits set. Formed 20 years ago, they have been purveyors of pure pop magic ever since. Blending Italian house piano magic, French disko bleeps & beats, Swedish flair and German adventuresomeness, it’s sophisticated, blissed-out dance music at it’s finest.

From one legend to some legendary acts in the making, and if you haven’t heard Noisettes (A lisited at Radio 1) infectiously positive piece of disco rock "Don't Upset the Rhythm” where have you been?? Micachu is a precociously talented newcomer to. A protégé of Matthew Herbert: the producer renowned for working with REM and Bjork, Michacu (now along with her band the Shapes) has now signed to the legendary indie Rough Trade. Not bad for a 21 year old!

The head honcho of Radio 1 tipped Dan Black as his ‘one to watch’ in 2009, and there’s no mistaking why, having already ‘HPNTZed’ audiences with his Notorious BIG cover earlier this year. The Joy Formidable have received massive props this year as well. The NME have fallen in love with this band and their 20-something indie pop is irresistible. Also hotly tipped is James Yuill whose bucolic folk has drawn comparisons to the likes of Jose Gonzales who starred in last year’s festivities!

Singer songwriters will also be present. Talented tunesmith Karima Francis will be performing the songs that made the Observer Music Monthly pick her as one of the top 10 acts to watch of 2009 and British songwriter Frank Turner will be delivering songs in the same rich vein as Billy Bragg, while Teitur is a songwriter who creates inspiring melodies that are often wry and quirkily observed and certainly not to be missed.

Meanwhile, Woodpigeon are Calgary’s answer to Sufjan Stevens, with a penchant for ramshackle chamber-folk concoctions driven by banjo, glockenspiel, a sprawling choir and quivering male vocals.

It’s not all singer songwriters however, Ninjatunes’ QEMISTS will be injecting a heavy dose of Drum’n’Bass into proceedings having recently collaborated with Wiley. Avante post-rock dance hybrid 65 Days Of Static will be creating something altogether more cerebral and expect Oi Va Voi (Yiddish for ‘Oh dear’) create a glorious concoction of classic Jewish and Eastern European folkmusic. Elsewhere, Jim Jones Revue and whirling dervish Imelda May will be letting the good times roll with their high octane psychobilly and rock & roll shows.

Brilliant set of names there...so many of them in my CD collection !

The Joy Formidable are a great old school indie band circa early 1990's...think Belly meets Curve I would say. I really like their debut mini album A Balloon Called Moaning

Frank Turner....his start continues to rise and he is a great singer songwriter

St Et...what can I say ? Sarah Cracknell.....mmmm.....and some of the finest pop songs ever

James Yuill....saw him a couple of times last year and he was great...like a dancey geekier version of Radiohead with a bit of Hot Chip and Aphex Twin thrown in....

Loads of other good names as well.....

Well done Summer Sundae....

Edited by rseamer

I'm loving the addition of Dan Black, i thought he'd be just right for SSW. I was in fact listening to Alone rather loudly this morning as i was driving to work! I last saw St Etienne at a Radio One roadshow in the depths of Devon in 1998 - perfect for a summer's day.

Says they're playing the Saturday before the Charlatans, so it's a very real, and very fantastic, possibility.

Really interesting announcement, I agree. Most looking forward to Micachu & The Shapes, whose album is genuinely like nothing else around at the moment, a complete mess of electronic pop. 65daysofstatic make an immense sound live, and the Noisettes are a far more hyper live band than they've managed on record.

Says they're playing the Saturday before the Charlatans, so it's a very real, and very fantastic, possibility.

Really interesting announcement, I agree. Most looking forward to Micachu & The Shapes, whose album is genuinely like nothing else around at the moment, a complete mess of electronic pop. 65daysofstatic make an immense sound live, and the Noisettes are a far more hyper live band than they've managed on record.

I'm not surprised that we're both impressed by the Michachu album.. was listening to it this morning and I can't help thinking that when I get behind the messiness and start to pick out the tunes and the words I'm going to love it...
Edited by llcoolphil

Summer Sundaes, I've been to them all, I've enjoyed them all.

The line up for 2009 already looks like it has the potential to be the best one ever.

I'm not even going to ask when the next announcement is, I'm that impressed.

Although if the calibre of acts yet to be revealed is as good as the ones already .....

when is the next announcement ?