Cambridge Rock Festival 2009, 6th - 9th August

Guest mikeb

Getting excited as I'll be on my way tomorrow (Tuesday).

Looks like I might be travelling in former prison van being converted into a luxury mothorhome. The conversion hasn't been fully completed yet but should be fun.

The same firm previously worked on conversions for Madonna and Guy Richie.

Just hope as it weighs over 4 tons that we don't sink in the mud.

Thursday afternoon for me seeing as I'm just a mere punter. Well, at least it should be assuming trains various run according to plan and all that. It's about the earliest I can get there without paying very silly money on the train as I have to go via London. Probably ought to at least start thinking about getting some gear sorted and maybe even a bit of packing done I suppose. But nah, plenty of time yet, it's not like I actually have to think about what to pack after all these years. The same stuff goes everywhere regardless of the specific destination or date so it should almost be able to pack itself by now !

Just had a quicky look at Mr.Metcheck's latest wild guess forecast and it's changed bigtime again :lol: I don't think anyone really knows what it's likely to do until it actually does it and even then they'll no doubt get it wrong in any case ! Anyway, regardless of the forecast, suffice it to say that I'm fully expecting the customary monster downpour Thursday afternoon just around the time I get to the site. Every single year to date, just as I arrive or half way through bunging Ye Olde Tent up or occasionally immediately after said tent has been suitably bunged up, it's absolutely chucked it down bigtime. Most often with thunder/lightning into the bargain it has to be said ! Every bl**dy year regardless of date or time of arrival ... to the point where if it didn't actually happen one year, I'd probably be somewhat concerned that I might perhaps be camped out at the wrong festival or have turned up on the wrong date or something :angry:

Have a safe journey tomorrow and no doubt see you on the gate on the way in and/or at some other time over the festival :lol: Hmmm, 4 tons on a field for several days ... best be packing a few wooden boards to sit it on methinks, regardless of weather conditions. That is going to be a right old pig to shift if it does manage to sink in a bit ! I've no idea what the ground at Haggis Farm is like but I'm guessing it's likely to be more of a paddock rather than anything quite as solid as the showground at Wood Green was. Always had to use rock pegs at Wood Green anyway as nothing else would go in sensibly at all but the new site may not be anything like as solid because it probably hasn't been used in quite the same way for quiet so long.

Hey, are we going to be getting exclusive 'live' updates and maybe even some real piccys from the site on Wednesday seeing as you're getting there early :lol:

Edited by mikeb

Sadly the Prison Van conversion fell through today due to insurance problems.

It was down to the owners to sort it as I can't insure a vehicle I don't own or have a financial interest in.

Unfortunately they didn't manage to get their act together in time and, as I have to be on the road first thing as I'm bringing up the programmes, I've had to fall back to Plan A of the old trusty festival mega tent.

You should find me camped in the Stewards area. Look out for the flagpole with the daffodil windsock and the inflatable sheep on the gazebo and call in and say hello.

Cheers,

Pete.

Ah ha ... I think good old Mr.Metcheck should stick with the latest weather guess while he's on to a winner ! It's looking pretty d@mn handsome just now I have to say. A l'il rain Wednesday night into v.early Thursday morning (just to soften the ground and dampen the old dust etc.) and then it's basically all warm and sunny(ish) right the way through until Tuesday with virtually zero precipitation anywhere in sight. I'll take that thank you very much :D Although I have to say that I wouldn't believe a word about the suggested 0.2mm of precipitation on Thursday between 1300 and 1600 tho going by many years of experience in arriving at CRF around that kinda time on a Thursday afternoon of course :) It'll no doubt all change again in a couple of hours mind you so get excited while you have the opportunity !

Probably my last efests visit until after the festival so hope anyone going has a great time and don't forget, even if the weather does start to be looking a bit cr@p again later in the week, it doesn't really matter at all cos the bands, ales, munchies various and just about everything else that makes up a good festival most certainly wont be !! Have a good one and all that :)

PS: Anyone not able to attend and who wants to know just how good a time we're all having in your absence ;) can listen to the headliners and more each day Friday, Saturday and Sunday broadcast LIVE on Radio Caroline :)

John Lees' Barclay James Harvest – Friday, approx 2220 - 2359

Quireboys – Saturday, approx 2230 - 2259

Uriah Heep – Saturday, approx 2040 - 2200

Asia – Sunday, approx 2230 - 2359

Focus – Sunday, approx 2030 - 2200

Radio Caroline is available on $ky Channel 0199 and streamed live via the web and so on although sadly no longer from a radioship in International Waters to crackly old AM radio somewhere near you of course pirate.gif Wander over to the Radio Caroline website for more details, schedules, how to tune in and to find out exactly when the LIVE feeds from CRF will be on air.

Rumour also has it that various bands including Asia, Uriah Heep, Focus and maybe others will be filmed in HD 5.1 as well so look out for that footage appearing sometime in the future.

Edited by mikeb