This year's 'Everything Fringe' Thread

Guest andyblack

they were in the rutland and derby last year on fringe night, i personally gave them a set of tickets. they didnt use them. serge, bless him, said on 6music the other day that there is no leicester music scene (apart from kasabian).

nice of him to bother to see what happens outside his stoneygate pad.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm pretty glad its not them, i didn't mind them but they've attracted the wrong crowd in recent years. i went to one of their last DMH shows in 2006 and it was full of football shirt wearing yobbos; perhaps if i were born and raised in leicester i would have loved it but i didn't enjoy it much and i haven't seen them since then and don't intend to.

going to try and make the fringe this year anyway, (should be) covering SSW for DMU's newspapers music section (i'm the editor) so would be good to write up the fringe too.

for those of you trendy shoreditch people who want to get a taste of summer sundae and the fringe :

Mat Horne / XFM presents SESSION 3 : Minnaars @ The Queen Of Hoxton, Saturday June 27th.

a nice warm up for august 13th.............

Edited by Gabs

Andy and I spent yesterday afternoon checking out the bus route and then sat in Firebug working out the timetable for them. It's a really complicated thing to do!

How sad are we :)

The good news is - we've found a really good route and the timetable is a work of art! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Fringe Thursday Line Up Announcements.

ok, 2009 sees Pineapster (www.pineapster.com) & Cuttlefish Digital Arts (http://www.cuttlefish.org/) return to present the annual summer sundae warm up parties once more, now under the title

FRINGE THURSDAY.

So we return, with 8 parties, across the city, presenting music, poetry, comedy and lots, lots more, from 7pm until 4am.

The open top buses return, more than ever, with 3 buses this year, to ship you across the city to the venues of your choice. The buses are presented in conjunction with our very good friends and festival partners Reach Marketing (http://www.reachmarketing.co.uk/).

As always, all artists and personnel work on FRINGE THURSDAY provide their time and efforts for free, all profits from the event are to be donated to LOROS (http://www.loros.co.uk/)

LOROS (Leicestershire and Rutland Organisation for the Relief Of Suffering) is a hospice offering care and support to suitably needy persons over the age of 16 in Leicestershire.

We'll be formally announcing the line ups for all 8 FRINGE THURSDAY parties, live on Dean Jackson's The Beat radio show on Saturday 13th June.

Dean Jackson presents the Beat (the UK's largest local radio show) every Saturday night from 6pm to 10pm, live on BBC Nottingham, BBC Radio Leicester, BBC Derby and BBC Radio Lincolnshire.

for more information, we will shortly be updating our website at :

www.summersundaefringe.com

we want to raise £6,000 in 2009. we hope you all will come.

actually, i had no idea yeah yeah noh came from leicester until the utah saints wrote us a lovely message on facebook (pineapster takes it's name from the left legged pineapple record shop, which they're friends with).

sean tizzard is somewhat of a fan i believe.

we're announcing the greater majority of the fringe festival line up, tonight on Dean Jackson's the Beat, on BBC radio leicester, lincolnshire, nottingham and derby tonight.

Yes folks, once more the kind people at Cuttlefish Digital Arts and Pineapster bring you the 2009 Summer Sundae Fringe Festival. There will be events running from Aug 1st to 13th, culminating in

FRINGE THURSDAY

Eight warm up Parties across the city centre.

trivia :

Bands :

maybeshewill and minnaars will play both the firebug party and the main festival. both bands are main stage acts at the main festival.

Huw stephens will announce some impressive news on both The Heroes and Fists in the next week we believe.

This year, sees the introduction of new venues to replace the loss of the charlotte, a grateful return of the comedy gig, a new introduction to the fold with a phrased and confused night, and the club night at helsinkis will return once more. We're especially glad to put a party into the Shed, and get them some increased attention.

We've got a good spread of bands who've previously appeared at the festival (charlie jones, ambrose tompkins), current pick of the dis tables (maybeshewill and minnaars) and some of the latest introducing talent (fists, mega dub).

Buses :

Thanks to very very kind support from Reach Marketing (http://www.reachmarketing.co.uk/),

There will be 3 buses this year, 2 open tops and one good old london routemaster, on two different routes, with proper timetables, and bus stops as well. Its taken us 6 months to sort the buses (the council sold the ones we used last year, and we even had to consult bus spotter websites to help us find them).

There will also be a clever A3 fold out fringe guide, with venue map, listings, taxi numbers, stage times, etc, for all fringe attendees.

finally the age issue. This has caused us some major challenges, and theres no really easy answer either. Last year saw some underage drinking outside the charlotte, and sadly, the concept of a few spoiling it for the many is an issue and a challenge. (this year for the first time we've consulted the Police up front to help us). We're pretty determined to make the fringe an event for all festival goers, regardless of age, but the lack of funding and use of licensed premises are predictable challenges.

We're trying to get it to work to provide some degree of entertainment both to those families with very young children (up to 5 years) and also teenagers, but it's really not that easy. no promises, but more news to come on that front (hopefully). I fully appreciate this is'nt a great answer. But all of the fringe team work for no monies to make this event work, and we certainly dont give up easily, or we'd never have got to a second year, let alone a fourth!!!

The majority of the venues will be over 18, fringe festival wristband holders may well be challenged over age, and we fully recommend carrying valid photo ID as proof of age. Venues reserve the right to refuse admission.

We'll certainly keep you posted.

Edited by andyblack

http://pineapster.com/forums/announcements...estival_line_up

you can find a full break down of the current listings for the two week fringe festival here (see above).

we're pleased to point out bbc introducing have copied us, and announced both The Heroes and Fists for their BBC Introducing stage at glastonbury 2009 (chosen by Huw Stephens no less). so we must be doing something right.

and it looks as though we're adding a 9th fringe thursday venue.....more to come soon.

just to confirm. the new road inn is finalised.

so we've got two child friendly venues. the donkey and the new road inn.

the donkey has a full itinery of bands for the night.

Special Guests**

You Fellows of All Souls

The Deap People

David Wyatt

Daryl Kirkland

the NRI is a far more relaxed affair. two bands, a beer garden, a place where you can go for a drink with the kids, with some music if you want or not.

the falling leaves arkestra (yes, that ed falling leaves gets on the bill again)

gas museum.

the falling leaves return, expect didgeridoos, lots of sing along stuff, lots of shakey things for small children to play with, the occasional ride and / or oasis cover and lots of children of all ages and sizes. The falling leaves all have small kids, so its as much a family day out for them as anyone else.

gas museum : i've no idea. they named themselves after a gas museum. the one clip i've seen sounds brilliant, as though they're from rugby which is good enough for me.......

heres the mildly complicated bit :

Families : Children under the age of 16 (when accompanied with a paying adult) are free. This includes the buses. Be warned, the only venues you can take the kids too are the donkey and New Road Inn. No other venue will permit entry to children of 16 or under. If you dont want to go to a pub. you can still go for a family bus ride round the city. again the buses are free for children under 16 accompanied by an adult, you still need a fringe wristband to ride the buses (if your an adult). Sadly, children under the age of 16 will not be allowed onto the buses without an accompanied adult.

seriously, we hope this provides a little activity for you all. I'm not a father, so we went to one who was (ed falling leaves) to help us. And its thanks to him for making the new road inn work.

** we're not announcing the donkey headliners until the day of fringe thursday itself. it's extra special and will result in a very very busy pub. so erm. wait and see. it'll be great we promise.

Edited by andyblack

Families : Children under the age of 16 (when accompanied with a paying adult) are free. This includes the buses. Be warned, the only venues you can take the kids too are the donkey and New Road Inn. No other venue will permit entry to children of 16 or under. If you dont want to go to a pub. you can still go for a family bus ride round the city. again the buses are free for children under 16 accompanied by an adult, you still need a fringe wristband to ride the buses (if your an adult). Sadly, children under the age of 16 will not be allowed onto the buses without an accompanied adult.