"Tenting" options

Guest Mr_Grump

As a Glasto first-timer, I'm looking at options regarding tents:

Do we......

1. Go with a good quality tent (that's currently sat in the loft at home) & then take it home at the end?

2. Go with something cheap n cheerful and then leave it for the charity collectors?

Asda are going to be selling a "3 man tent (inner & flysheet type, not a single skin), 2 sleeping bags & 2 folding chairs" package in selected locations from March for £40 (or less if you have staff discount :lol: )

Do many people leave tents etc for the charity collectors at Glasto?

BTW, if anyone wants to know when & where the 'combo' package is available, I'll make another post with the date & locations (they are NOT going to be available in 90% of stores) once the launch date has been agreed

As a Glasto first-timer, I'm looking at options regarding tents:

Do we......

1. Go with a good quality tent (that's currently sat in the loft at home) & then take it home at the end?

2. Go with something cheap n cheerful and then leave it for the charity collectors?

Asda are going to be selling a "3 man tent (inner & flysheet type, not a single skin), 2 sleeping bags & 2 folding chairs" package in selected locations from March for £40 (or less if you have staff discount :lol: )

Do many people leave tents etc for the charity collectors at Glasto?

BTW, if anyone wants to know when & where the 'combo' package is available, I'll make another post with the date & locations (they are NOT going to be available in 90% of stores) once the launch date has been agreed

Edited by paulo999

take the tent u already have if its not in bad condition. buying a new cheap tent is a waste of money and will be trashhh.

my mates did the same last year bought new cheap tents when they coulda borrowed off their mates and complained all the time as was thin/small, basic, e.t.c and then left them on site.

its the same as rubbish, take it with your or throw it in the bins. people like to just 'leave' things. i always had a rubbish bag and threw it out daily rather than just dumping tissues, e.t.c all around the place.

A reasonable tent, used many times is cheaper per use than a cheep one that you buy and dump (not to mention more up to protecting you from the elements).

Rules of thumb:

Single skin tents, avoid.

Dome, Igloos that pitch outside first are the most forgiving. They are not that fussed when your guy ropes get slack when people trip over them. Tunnels and other designs however are, could let you down when the guy ropes get slack.

Pop-up tents do not pop down (unless you practice and get the knack). They are awkward to carry when you also have a backpack. Doubly so if your are traveling by train/coach.

If your going to buy and dump, get someone else to take the ten to the festival for you, buy from Joe Bananas or some like.

I have this tent, i just sleep in it myself & has loads of room. Only has two poles so its really easy to put up.

http://www.millets.co.uk/camping/tents/3-4...uct/095924.html

Asda are going to be selling a "3 man tent (inner & flysheet type, not a single skin), 2 sleeping bags & 2 folding chairs" package in selected locations from March for £40 (or less if you have staff discount ^_^ )

You see, i would go with that package as you get all your stuff with it, but instead of leaving the tent there, i'd take it with you as despite it being reasonably priced, i reckon it would last you a few years at least. keeping it for a fews years would be cheaper than having to buy new stuff every year.

I'm strongly considering going purchasing a tent through Joe Bananas, and picking it up on site when I arrive Wednesday night.

Here is my situation. I'm traveling from the U.S., and planning on spending several weeks in Europe, prior and after Glastonbury. With all the charges and limitations on traveling by air, especially on the budget airlines over there, I obviously can't bring ANY stuff with me.

I could very well be flying into Bristol from Paris on Wednesday, and then leaving from Bristol airport on Monday after the festival ends. So I do not plan on taking ANY of the camping stuff with me. I will definitely throw it in trash receptacle when I leave, and not just abandon it in the field.

It does not seem like there is a great variety through JB, but I want to be sure I have a guaranteed setup, and not have to worry about getting it there.

Do my plans seem reasonable? Will I be miserable in one of their standard tents? I just see limited options for my situation, and would like to make it as logistically sound as possible, because I want to limit the amount of things which could go wrong, because I know some will be inevitible.

Looking at the awful selection of gear on Joe Bananas, I'd say there's two better options:

- Stop on the way to the Festival and pick up some kit (though does depend on how you're getting from the Airport to the Festi)

- Wait and shop around when you arrive on site

There's several other places besides Joe Bananas that sell camping kit. There's plenty of camping kit or army surplus stalls, and Millets have an outlet (possibly two, not sure) as well.

If you're arriving Wednesday, then nowhere will have sold out of anything. All the tents on Joe Bananas are single skin and therefore completely wothless.

Edited by incident

No idea if Millets offer that service, but you could always E-Mail then and ask.

I'm pretty sure that there was another place doing a "reserve and collect" service in previous years, but I cant remember what they were called or anything more than that.

Do my plans seem reasonable? Will I be miserable in one of their standard tents? I just see limited options for my situation, and would like to make it as logistically sound as possible, because I want to limit the amount of things which could go wrong, because I know some will be inevitible.
Edited by HurrahBrother

As of now, I'm planning on coming from Paris and flying into Bristol at 7:30 PM, and I plan on going straight to the site. The least hassle for me, is going to be getting something onsite, that I won't be keeping after the festival ends. Don't want to get something too nice and pricey, but definitely would prefer something decent, that doesn't collapse under the elements. I guess I keep reading how it can sometimes downpour during the weekend, so I'm concerned, and don't want to be miserable.

Hopefully there will be a place I can look that is going to have pick ups at the festival, but I can maybe order in advance.

As of now, I'm planning on coming from Paris and flying into Bristol at 7:30 PM, and I plan on going straight to the site. The least hassle for me, is going to be getting something onsite, that I won't be keeping after the festival ends. Don't want to get something too nice and pricey, but definitely would prefer something decent, that doesn't collapse under the elements. I guess I keep reading how it can sometimes downpour during the weekend, so I'm concerned, and don't want to be miserable.

Hopefully there will be a place I can look that is going to have pick ups at the festival, but I can maybe order in advance.

Millets were ofering a 'pitch your tent' service last year. But I was a disabled assistant so cannot remember if this was a general service or a disabled service.

With your travel plans you can find yourself on site late and in the dark, so make sure the arrangements you make are with a stall that will be open and findable, and as advised have a pocket torch (flashlight) or head light. But if you uses Joe Bananas the camping packs include a torch, and batteries.

You do have the option of staying up all night but as a traveller you could probably do with a good nights sleep!

As a better measure than putting the tent in the trash, consider handing it in at somewhere like Joe Bannanas or one of the charities. At the very least it will make you feel better about yourself leaving behind a good deed rather than a bit of waste.

Personaly I prefer to take tents one step up, e.g. for one person get a 2 man tent, but if you look online at measurements you can work it out for yourself. Bearing in mind that depending on when and where you try to pitch the tent space could be limited, but note that the one person tent is very basic and rated for light showers only. No problem if we have a good Glastonbury, but even if the day is good there is likely to be rain of some sort overnight.

I'm strongly considering going purchasing a tent through Joe Bananas, and picking it up on site when I arrive Wednesday night.

Here is my situation. I'm traveling from the U.S., and planning on spending several weeks in Europe, prior and after Glastonbury. With all the charges and limitations on traveling by air, especially on the budget airlines over there, I obviously can't bring ANY stuff with me.

I could very well be flying into Bristol from Paris on Wednesday, and then leaving from Bristol airport on Monday after the festival ends. So I do not plan on taking ANY of the camping stuff with me. I will definitely throw it in trash receptacle when I leave, and not just abandon it in the field.

It does not seem like there is a great variety through JB, but I want to be sure I have a guaranteed setup, and not have to worry about getting it there.

i think i need to replace my tent, so posting the tent would be greatly appreciated :)

there is about four asdas i could get to, hopefully one of them would have it, otherwise online ?

saying the tent maybe poo im getting well ahead of myself

• 3 weeks later...