What do they think of us ?

Guest Almost Crimes

I am German, so maybe I can respond. Interesting topic, that is.

On the festivals I've been to I've only met Brits at RaR, Melt! and Wacken. The ones I met were nice, ordinary festival goers, good for a laugh, very peaceful. From what I have heard just the opposite from the average Brit abroad. I never had any problem with a British person in my life, but then I haven't met a big group of drunk Englishmen, those the other Englishmen warned me about ;-)

You guys certainly moshpit harder than us. Good for a song or two, but too much for me for a whole concert. Germans are softer, but we include more people because of that.

Oh and you folks like to drink, but don't mind paying a shitload of money for that, which sets you apart from the rest of the continent I think.

Yeah, German moshing is so organized... my mate broke his nose during RatM at RAR last year, and immediately everyone stopped moshing, 3 guys formed a protective circle around him, and one offered him tissues :)

I've been to a fair few abroad and all the brits I've met have been well behaved (the general ethos in European festivals is much better behaved, the average age is a fair bit older) with the exception of Benicassim...

I've been to a fair few European festivals and the with the exception of Dissonanze in Rome have always been made feel welcome by the locals. I generally get the impression that people are quite amused to find out that you have come so far for an event in their country as was I when i met a group of German lads in Birmingham who had come for the Supersonic Festival.

What's everyone else's experience with regards to language?

Whenever I go to France/Belgium, I have to speak French. There are a percentage who can speak English, but to ask someone for help in English, making no attempt to do so in French, is in my experience severely frowned upon. I have a deep voice, speak fluent French and have an extremely passable French accent, so the fact that I'm English seldom comes up, I'm speaking more as an observer here.

Contrast that with the Netherlands, where seven or eight times out of ten, even when I ask the question in Dutch they'll respond in English. Not due to misunderstanding- they understand my Dutch question but, unprompted, often give me the English answer.

Been to rock en seine as a 'Frenchman' and though the english that i encountered were louded and generally more drunk than the french there, they in no way acted like hooligans, always polite and attempted to speak the odd word of french when buying food, so there isnt really a negative view on them at all

Been to lowlands as an 'englishman' and talked to several dutch people who seemed to like the english at festival and have nothing bad to say. When ordering a drink there though i did try to make the effort to speak the odd word in dutch, bedankt and what not always feel its the least i can do.

When i'm in france, I can't stand it when you get american/english tourists with their sunburnt faces just doing the half the speed twice the volume attitude. It's not just an english trick, i've see the french do it holland and england (less so in england mind) it's so frustrating, Even one word shows that you're making an effort

I always try to speak at least a few words in the native language if I can.

I find the locals appreciate it and it does lead to hilarity at times.

When in Paris I tried to order a bottle of wine at reception and the woman didn't speak any English. My French was VERY bad so it almost became a game of charades. BUt despite it all we both laughed and I got what I wanted.

If I had just shouted it in English instead of attempting bad French they would not have been nearly as impressed.

On another note: Anyone know how different South American Spanish is from the local dialect in Beni? One of the people I am travelling with learnt his Spanish in South America, so want to know if that is fine, or if it is much different.

In South America most people speak accents derrived from Castillian. They are different, but more in an American English vs English English manner, with possibly less exposure of each other through Music and TV. In and around Barcelona however most people speak Catalan. Some Catalonians may refuse to speak Castillian with anybody when in Catalonia, even though they are very much capable of doing so. You should be fine in general. And I am pretty sure lots and lots people going to Beni are indeed Brits and not Spaniards. Now, if you'd go to Rock en seine without a word of French you may have awkward situations. not at Beni. It's basically an English fessie at the beach.

Edited by Squig

In South America most people speak accents derrived from Castillian. They are different, but more in an American English vs English English manner, with possibly less exposure of each other through Music and TV. In and around Barcelona however most people speak Catalan. Some Catalonians may refuse to speak Castillian with anybody when in Catalonia, even though they are very much capable of doing so. You should be fine in general. And I am pretty sure lots and lots people going to Beni are indeed Brits and not Spaniards. Now, if you'd go to Rock en seine without a word of French you may have awkward situations. not at Beni. It's basically an English fessie at the beach.

I am German, so maybe I can respond. Interesting topic, that is.

On the festivals I've been to I've only met Brits at RaR, Melt! and Wacken. The ones I met were nice, ordinary festival goers, good for a laugh, very peaceful. From what I have heard just the opposite from the average Brit abroad. I never had any problem with a British person in my life, but then I haven't met a big group of drunk Englishmen, those the other Englishmen warned me about ;-)

You guys certainly moshpit harder than us. Good for a song or two, but too much for me for a whole concert. Germans are softer, but we include more people because of that.

Oh and you folks like to drink, but don't mind paying a shitload of money for that, which sets you apart from the rest of the continent I think.

• 4 weeks later...
On another note: Anyone know how different South American Spanish is from the local dialect in Beni? One of the people I am travelling with learnt his Spanish in South America, so want to know if that is fine, or if it is much different.

I always try to speak at least a few words in the native language if I can.

I find the locals appreciate it and it does lead to hilarity at times.

When in Paris I tried to order a bottle of wine at reception and the woman didn't speak any English. My French was VERY bad so it almost became a game of charades. BUt despite it all we both laughed and I got what I wanted.

If I had just shouted it in English instead of attempting bad French they would not have been nearly as impressed.

As an Englishman who admittedly finds foreign languages quite difficult and has very little knowledge of them, personally, if someone approached me while in England and spoke a foreign language at me i'd have no idea what they were talking about and would most likely make no attempt to help them out.

For that reason alone I tried my best to learn at least the most basics of Spanish when I last went to Benicassim (2007) and am refreshing my vocabulary already for this year. I tried to speak Spanish to the best of my ability at all times when talking to the locals and found them to be very friendly and accommodating. Despite the language barrier I usually managed to get my point across eventually and found it to be a great experience.

I can't compare this to the reception I may have received had I not tried to speak Spanish at all but on the basis that i'd not offer a foreign visitor to England much help if they did not try to communicate in English, i'd never dream of going to a foreign country without even a basic understanding of the language and am embarrassed to be associated with any Brits who do this on a regular basis.

Unfortunately the rise in price since 2007 and the fact that prices have fallen more in-line with British festivals makes me think Benicassim may be pricing the locals out of a chance to attend and there may be some hard feelings there. If there are, i don't blame them.

As for alcohol consumption - I was far too drunk to notice whether most of the other drunks around me were English or not!!

as an englishman at benicassim i've been embarrased at the antics of some of my countymen / women. granted they're usually very young and probably off the leash for the first time but all the same it's very annoying and does our tarnished image no favours.

and not just english, whomever intimated that the scottish don't behave in a similar manner must have been wearing blinkers.

but benicassim has just been overhyped and overpriced now, perhaps that's the true indicator of how much the locals are now taking the pish out of the British.

as a Brit abroad you get a mixed response wherever you go, but if you behave yourself and conduct yourself in a vaguely civilised manner you won't get any issues. i found sziget to be particularly friendly last year but that's perhaps because it's not yet been overrun by the Brits.... give it time and they'll probably get sick of us there as well.

as an englishman at benicassim i've been embarrased at the antics of some of my countymen / women. granted they're usually very young and probably off the leash for the first time but all the same it's very annoying and does our tarnished image no favours.

and not just english, whomever intimated that the scottish don't behave in a similar manner must have been wearing blinkers.

but benicassim has just been overhyped and overpriced now, perhaps that's the true indicator of how much the locals are now taking the pish out of the British.

as a Brit abroad you get a mixed response wherever you go, but if you behave yourself and conduct yourself in a vaguely civilised manner you won't get any issues. i found sziget to be particularly friendly last year but that's perhaps because it's not yet been overrun by the Brits.... give it time and they'll probably get sick of us there as well.

Tut! Please, there's no need for an English vs Scottish vs Welsh vs Whoever argument we're all as bad/good as each other. I've seen just as much bad behaviour from the locals (especially at Dissonanze in Rome) as I've seen from visitors. There are two types of festival goer the friendly open minded up for it type and the twatty get drunk/spangled and act like a total moron type, it really doesn't matter where they happen to have been born.

Edited by st00ka

I would agree that the Scottish can be just as bad in terms of loudness and getting as drunk but still tend to be friendlier. There is an arrogance about some English abroad and the way they speak down to the locals is embarrassing and frustrating to stand by and listen to.

I wouldn't say Beni is overhyped or overpriced and you only need to compare what it costs to attend a festival in the UK to see that. When your guaranteed good weather and a festival that runs through until 8am then you can see why people go and use it as a festival and a summer holiday.

well lets just say there's been a marked increase in prices over the last few years, and not just down to the poor Euro. they've seen the increased popularity among the brits and increased prices accordingly. maybe the price hike will work in it's favour and dissuade some of those who just see it an an extansion of the brit festivals.

i'm not starting any english -v- anyone arguments, just aghast that someone can comment as if it's purely the english who cause any irritation, which is pure nonsense.

anyway, i've long since struck beni off the calendar, just like leeds or v with sun.