Trowbridge Festival

Guest surfncanoe

I have been but nearly thirty years ago so won't be very relavent now, you best bet is to have a look on the talkawhile forum as this covers folk and folkrock festival scene more than efests does.

But not for Beautiful Days as a lot of the old codgers on talkawhile get upset at the mention of The Levelers for some reason ;)

Edited by outtolunch

Watch it OTL or I'll have to fall out with you ;);):)

Trowbridge is a really laid back little festival. Camp where you want. Suggest top of hill if wet, as the bottom gets very boggy, or the bottom if it's dry as it's less distance to walk. Avoid the slope if possible.

There are 3 stages plus the kids stage, all in marquees. The main stage has 3 distict areas, the front for standing, the middle for sitters and a tiered bit at the back with seats. This is pretty well observed.

About 3 bars selling good choice of beer, not too pricey.

Last time we went a couple of years ago the Levellers, Seth Lakeman and Bellowhead were all on so it was very much a jiggy place.

I think it would depend on the line up.

Trowbridge has evolved over the last 10 yrs from being a strictly Folk Festival, to becoming more generalised with a definite Folk edge, which fits in with folk music becoming more acceptable to the masses.

One of the founding members and main man ( Alan Briars - a sucessful musician in his own right) passed away roughly a couple of years ago. His wife continues the festival and there have been a few changes, but inherently it is a really great vibe. Satges 1&2 are for the main folk based in large marquees. Stage 3 has more of an edge to it and has hosted more Endorse it type bands ( Pronghorn, Dead Plants, RDF, Tragic ROundabout, Los Albertos etc).

The beer is provided by The Bell ( Walcott St, Bath) and the Old ROsie Cider is a corker.

We all used to go religiously every year, even played it a couple of times doing Street theatre. Sadly the kids side of things was reduced ( although still a lot more than some festivals) and it's on one of the busiest festival weekends of the year .

I was at Trowbridge last year, mainly due to the lineup, but I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience, even though I was on crutches! There was plenty of room to move around within the marquees, everyone was extremely friendly and laid back and it didn't feel crowded at all. It was very jiggy last year IMO!!

Food was good and cheap, though I myself found the bar to be rather expensive!! Like oxsandra says, camp where you like - I chose to stay at the bottom of the field. Most of the loos around the campsite and festival site are chemical toilets, but were cleaned often.

One thing I hadn't realised was that although the campsite is open the day before the festival there are no facilities on the campsite for food or drink of any kind. As I was on foot, and the festival is in the "middle of nowhere", I would have been extremely hungry had it not been for the kindness of folk around me!

Thank you to all of you who have replied. I have found your comments really helpful. I have BOOKED!!

I am currently booked to go to Bearded theory as well. Would like to go to one more festival at the end of August. Umming and arring between Beautiful Days and the Rhythm Festival.

Cheers again

surfncanoe

Edited by oxsandra

Thanks for your comments. I like the lineup that beautiful days has, but to be honest, it appears to be getting a bit too big. I know 12000 is nothing really, but the festivals which have only 4000 are much more personal in my opinion. I have not been to BDays or Rhythm before. I like bands like the levellers, oysterband, frank turner etc.

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

I do three festivals a year: Glasto in June (no explanation needed), Trowbridge in July (was originally folkie but steadily broadening but retaining folk roots) and Cambridge Rock Festival (prog rock and blues) in August.

Trowbridge is a lovely setting, well organised and very family friendly. It's also got a great line up this year. If you visit the website www.trowbridgefestival.co.uk click on the News link to get the full list.

• 1 year later...