Pregnant but still want to be at this years glastonbury!

Guest Jint_Eye

Well just to help (hopefully), my missus was pregnant when we went in 2007 and although it was raining, she was OK, but left on the Sunday. But to help out..

1) Visit the medical tent the day you get there. They are great! We had a condition where if she did go into labour needed antibiotics, and they knew all about it and were even happy for her to be walking around the festival with a drip in if needed.

2) Visit the Radical Midwives (if they are there this year). She learnt sooo much and also had a belly cast done, which is now the pride of place in our daughters bedroom in all its glory.

3) Take a bottle and funnel - the best thing she said at night.

4) Camp in the family field. Although it is out of the way, it is more quiet than the main fields and also (I think) have their toilets cleaned.

5) A helpfull tip, if you go and speak to the people who run the disabled platforms on the stages, they let you in, but will kick you off if it gets too crowded. Handy one, but just be prepared that if you are asked to leave you may need to push / sit in a crowd of people. But generally they were pretty cool. Damn I wish she was pregnant this time.

6) Obviously get your other half / friends to carry a chair around.

7) Food, and more food. All I was asked for in the middle of the Killers last time was 'I have a craving for chips'

Enjoy it, and really do visit the Radical Midwives they were great.

Well just to help (hopefully), my missus was pregnant when we went in 2007 and although it was raining, she was OK, but left on the Sunday. But to help out..

1) Visit the medical tent the day you get there. They are great! We had a condition where if she did go into labour needed antibiotics, and they knew all about it and were even happy for her to be walking around the festival with a drip in if needed.

2) Visit the Radical Midwives (if they are there this year). She learnt sooo much and also had a belly cast done, which is now the pride of place in our daughters bedroom in all its glory.

3) Take a bottle and funnel - the best thing she said at night.

4) Camp in the family field. Although it is out of the way, it is more quiet than the main fields and also (I think) have their toilets cleaned.

5) A helpfull tip, if you go and speak to the people who run the disabled platforms on the stages, they let you in, but will kick you off if it gets too crowded. Handy one, but just be prepared that if you are asked to leave you may need to push / sit in a crowd of people. But generally they were pretty cool. Damn I wish she was pregnant this time.

6) Obviously get your other half / friends to carry a chair around.

7) Food, and more food. All I was asked for in the middle of the Killers last time was 'I have a craving for chips'

Enjoy it, and really do visit the Radical Midwives they were great.

JJ28 - Thanks :O great advice and I'm sure it'll come in really useful. Definitely going to look out for the radical midwives.

Pregnant meet -

cthulu and anyone else - message me and I'll send you my mob number or vice verca?? What would suit everyone for a meet? Maybe Thurs/Fri Jazzworld? pretty central and won't be too packed, what does everyone think?

• 2 weeks later...

bumping just in case.

Lol I really haven't had enough sleep.. 'bump'ing made me giggle. Oh dear..

I went to Big Chill one year when I was only just pregnant and had a horrid time, but that was because the hormones had kicked in and I was a bit mental. It didn't help that I was eating a load of food that sends your blood sugars up and then crashing down (Le Grande Boufet pancakes, damn them, far too tasty).

If you feel good then I don't see any reason not to go. If I were in your shoes I would make sure I had plenty of snacks, drink plenty of water, take a small camping chair around to sit on (get someone else to carry it obviously!), take something for the middle of the night peeing-every-2-hours thing (a sheewee and a bottle/bucket etc) and anything else that will make your life easier.

Around about 7 months I started to get faint if I stood up for too long, if I didn't eat often enough, or if I got to hot, so I would just make sure that you are prepared for things like that and then just enjoy it. There's plenty of chilled spaces and shady spots so if you need to take some time out, I'm sure you could find somewhere.

I really wish that I'd had a pregnancy that I could have enjoyed at festivals, but it just wasn't to be for me. I've got a 14 month old now, who is coming to Glasto for the first time so that makes up for it.

Hope you have an amazing time.

Hi there

As one of the Radical Midwives I do have to apologise that our yurt won't be at Glastonbury this year Sorry. We do a variety of festivals each year depending on money and arrangements with festivals as to how many free tickets etc. Unfortunately Glasto is not offering any free tickets so this year we are doing other festivals that have offered free tickets. We (the midwives) volunteer to do festivals in our own time so added cost is a major factor.

We will be at WOMAD, Buddhafields, Greenman, Solfest amongst others if anyone is going to those.

However there will be medical aid on site and when my sister in law went when pregnant (twice) she just checked in with the medical team gave them her grid reference for where she was camping and whether there was any medical history they needed to know.

For many years there has been a couple of dedicated festival midwives on site but I believe that changed a couple of years ago (litigation culture) and the recommendation now is for the medical staff to ship pregnant women out to a local hospital to be checked over ...and they don't provide transport back :-(

Obviously if you were unwell you would do what was best for you and your baby but if you just had a minor problem that you wanted to chat about it could be annoying to be told you need to go to hospital.

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone

Just wondering how those who were 6 - 7 months pregnant got on this year? My lovely lady will be around that stgae come 2010 and I want to make sure she has a chance of going if it is feasable.

Been interested to hear how you got on.

I have posted this on another thread. Just want as many opinions as possible. I appreciate a lot will depend on how she feels at the time - and what the weather is likely to be like. But have a lot of friends going so will have plenty of help for her - but baby comes first obviously.

• 3 weeks later...