Four Headliners in 2009

Guest DaveMac

I see on the official Glastonbury Festival website that M.E. has recently announced that for 2009

"Famous Four for Glastonbury

Four, rather than three, top music acts are scheduled to headline at this year’s Glastonbury Festival, organiser Michael Eavis has announced"

I have seen many threads speculating on the possible identity of the fourth headliner here in this forum but I am trying to see how this situation is actually going to work.

I understood that the headline act was the FINAL slot on the Pyramid Stage on each of the official music days i.e. the Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Also I thought that the Festival license meant that the Pyramid Stage wouldn't be functioning on the Thursday.

So is it just me who is confused on how 4 headliners at Glastonbury is going to work?

Obviously ME has figured it but I can't at the moment see Neil Young and Radiohead sharing a stage on the Friday; one would come before the other surely? So either Neil Young or Radiohead would headline the Friday slot.

I personally would hate to see such big acts clash ;) if they were both on at the same time.

(but I am only trying to make a general point about 2 of the 4 Glastonbury Headliners clashing :ph34r: )

I can't see a big act playing last on the Other Stage as a Glastonbury 'Headliner' either.

Unless of course the Thursday is now going to be the start of music on the main stages and he hasn't announced that yet.

Any ideas anyone ?

Edited by DaveMac

I'm pretty sure the original three are set in their original days and would not/could not now be moved to a second-from-top slot on the Saturday.

ME could possibly mean the Other Stage on Sat but I suspect he just means the second-from-top behind Springsteen. It would tie in with the double-header comment from Emily.

Maybe on the Saturday it will be a traditional rock headliner followed by Orbital with a later than usual set to finish off the night?

Didn’t Underworld headline in a similar way in 1999(?). And looking back at some very old programmes the ‘headline’ act wasn’t always the last act scheduled on a stage.

iv been to a couple of 1 day fests where there were *co-headliners, donington 98 (kiss and ozzy) and ozzfest (ozzy and sabath). as some peeps have stated, headliners doesnt always mean last on the bill, its down to act status, and the band second on the bill will most likely get a longer amount of time on stage than other bands second last on the bill

I think the most likely thing is that Artic Monkeys have confirmed relatively late, and seeing as Eavis has booked three headliners already, he will allow the Monkeys to share 'headliner' status while playing under Springsteen or Young. This way the original three headliners can keep their status while avoiding undermining the fact that Monkeys have already established headliner status themselves.

I will be shocked if Radiohead play, there's no way they'll play under someone and I can't see Young moving.

Maybe on the Saturday it will be a traditional rock headliner followed by Orbital with a later than usual set to finish off the night?

Didn’t Underworld headline in a similar way in 1999(?). And looking back at some very old programmes the ‘headline’ act wasn’t always the last act scheduled on a stage.

at Rock Wercheter on some of the days they have a dance act after the "Headliner" has played for example after REM headlined on the thursday the Chemcal Bros played, on Friday after neil young headlined moby played, Maybe eavis going to do something lke this at glasto have a dance act after on of the headlining acts.