Bringing The Heavy

Guest .jay.

do you think it's about time they perhaps tried testing the waters a bit and getting back some of the more heavier acts?

why? There's plenty of heavy stuff covered at other fests, and while Glasto doesn't ignore it (there's always plenty of heavy stuff on if you care to look for it and aren't sucked up into only seeing 'name' bands) it's not and never has been what the fest is about.

the bizarre thing is i'm still finding no hits when i type qotsa, grohl glastonbury into youtube, not even that avon one comes up for me in the results :P

you must be the crappest googler ever then - I tried googling wanting to find some of the pre-publicity that he'd be playing, and all I could find were endless videos of him playing. :P

Edited by eFestivals

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why? There's plenty of heavy stuff covered at other fests, and while Glasto doesn't ignore it (there's always plenty of heavy stuff on if you care to look for it and aren't sucked up into only seeing 'name' bands) it's not and never has been what the fest is about.

because it's a well liked genre of music and the main reason i like glasto so much is it's eclectic nature and all the different forms of music there, but this one area seems a little lacking and i thought a few acts may address the balance.

It's a well-liked genre for an age-group that you don't see so many of at Glasto (in part due to exams I guess). It's not lacking in the heavier stuff. It's lacking in the cliche names of the heavier stuff that play year after year after year (often with no year break) at other fests. If that's what you want then go to those fests .... or shall I start a campaign for Westlife to play Download? :P

i know there is other festivals that cater for specific genres and styles but they don't interest me as i love music full stop as do so many other people and there is nothing i would hate more than being somewhere tat just caters to a certain demographic.

Glasto is FAR more diverse than EVERY other festival. End of. If you can't recognise that diversity yourself then you're not the music fan you claim. :P

you seem to be selling glastonbury on the fact it plays all kinds of music but then you say "why? There's plenty of heavy stuff covered at other fests" which contradicts that very reason you claim makes glasto great.

It DOES serve up music of all kinds. What it doesn't do (in the main) is serve up the same cliche bands year on year on year on the way that the heavier fests do.

and who mention 'name' bands? there's plenty of bands out there that are relatively unknown but would not get a look in at glasto due to them being a in these genres.

you mentioned 'name' bands with what you suggested. Relatively unknown bands DO get a look in at Glasto; the genre does not rule them out.

basically i would love to see someone such as clutch there and they are pretty much under most peoples radar but i know they wont play there because of the stance taken on heavy acts.

so there you have it. It's the band's fault and not Glasto.

don't get me wrong i don't want glasto flooded with loads of metal or anything it just strikes me as a little odd they overlook this kind of music yet pride themselves on pretty much covering all the bases music wise.

but they don't overlook it. They just don't swamp the place with it.

it would also be nice to think that things have moved on from the days when people associated this kind of music with negative or derogatory stereotypes and also good to think times have moved on from Roskilde and the organizers had a bit of faith in their safety procedures and more importantly the crowd.

but when those that listen to that sort of music show themselves to be of the exact same stereotype that existed 30 years back then things haven't moved on. YOU are that stereotype - you claim to be a fan of music, yet 500+ fantastic bands that you couldn't possibly all see isn't good enough for you, as you keep making clear.

As for faith in the crowd, that would be seriously misplaced. The crowds at some rock fests in the UK make that clear time and time again.

if Led Zep reformed (proper reformation not this new singer bullshit) and asked to play would they get turned down do you think?

no, but they've got more to them than 3 chords and a volume control, that goes up to 11. :D

If you want the dinosaurs of three-chord rock/metal, go elsewhere.

Edited by eFestivals

crikey that's just bizarre, how you have formed that opinion of me i have no idea.

i agree with you on your points about glastonbury compared with other festivals and it's diversity whole heartedly yet you seem to have me pegged as some ignorant metalhead who is full of shit in claiming a love of all things music.

it really is very bemusing how you have got this view of me just because i happen to also like this kind of music.

i'm genuinely very very confused and kinda insulted by your reaction to my post regardless of the amount of wink smileys there are :lol:

basically if i were to list the main acts i really want to see at glastonbury i actually don't think any of them would be in this genre, it's just i wouldn't mind a few to go along and see at some point.

hell the last time i went i spent most of the sunday away from the music stages all together and only caught a handfull of acts and my favourite day was the wednesday. :D

i'm not denying he recorded songs for the deaf, he did so after Gene Trautmann was let go he then toured with them a little for the US dates of the tour for that album but had to pull out of the European dates and Joey Castillo was brought into the bad as his replacement.

i'm actually really interested in finding some footage of him playing drums for them over here can you give me a link to the video's you found as i'm getting nowt :lol:

Man, you need to chill out and stop telling people who were at the actual gig that they are wrong. A quick youtube search

http://uk.youtube.com/results?search_type=...onbury&aq=0

I was there dude. He definitely played. There is also video evidence.

Edited by .jay.