Radiohead Fri Pyramid.... 4th headliner?

Guest Limpet

Ever since I got into Radiohead, and knew about their historical significance at Glastonbury, I've wanted to see them play Glastonbury so much. The first year I went, 2007, they played V Festival which frankly seemed bizarre as it's such a corporate event, not particularly in their style. Then last year, they once again did not play a part, despite the tour and major album release. This year I'd finally resigned myself to the fact that I will probably never see it happen, factors will always conspire against me.

But now... after all this discussion, it seems like Radiohead are as likely as anyone else for this fourth slot. I had resigned all hope! So much for that.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it definitely a shoe in that the 4th slot will be on saturday, as I think if radiohead were to play due to someone else; that man would be much more likely to be Young; they've covered down by the river, cinnamon girl, tell me why, after the goldrush, on the beach....and radiohead aren't a band to do too many covers*

I'd go with the Young influence over Springsteen anyhow. As for how the two headliners would work...could play some songs together.

They've opened for neil young once aswell back in 95 (when Young was touring with pearl jam)

*a quick google search shows Blondie's "Union City Blue", Glen Campbell's "Rhinestone Cowboy", Carly Simon's "Nobody Does It Better", Tim Buckley's "Sing a Song for You", Oasis' "Wonderwall" (a joke version), Elvis Costello's "I'll Wear it Proudly", Magazine's "Shot by Both Sides", Can's "Thief" & portishead's "the rip"...as a pretty exhaustive list.

I have seriously no idea why some people hate Radiohead so much. They are probably the most musically interesting and innovative mainstream bands of the 90's (along with SFA, IMO) and their music is very varied (from the grungy sound of Pablo Honey, the Anthemic rock of The Bends, Wierd noises on Kid A etc) so theres something for everyone in their back catalogue.

I'v only really got into them the past year, and there is no band i'd rather see, and there's no band that it'd be better to see at Glasto.

If they play, I will literally be the happiest man alive !

This would be INSANE :

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=66ESESB41RI

I have seriously no idea why some people hate Radiohead so much. They are probably the most musically interesting and innovative mainstream bands of the 90's (along with SFA, IMO) and their music is very varied (from the grungy sound of Pablo Honey, the Anthemic rock of The Bends, Wierd noises on Kid A etc) so theres something for everyone in their back catalogue.

I'v only really got into them the past year, and there is no band i'd rather see, and there's no band that it'd be better to see at Glasto.

If they play, I will literally be the happiest man alive !

This would be INSANE :

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=66ESESB41RI

Well if this rumour and conjecture is correct then I am more than happy.

To be fair I would much rather see them at Glasto than at Reading because the sound was so shocking last year (expect for Metalica when it was unbelievably good)

To have Radiohead, Springsteen and (BlueNo no no no) Blur would be quite an amazing line-up.

Also if NY did support Springsteen then that too would be a major event in its self.

Has he ever support Springsteen?

I would imagine there would be a fair few Americans clamouring to get over if that was the case

Edited by strudders

I personally think IF Radiohead play they'l headline the friday night, with Young then Springsteen on the saturday night. It'd make more sense, considering that Young and Springsteen are both big, classic, 70's/80's American (Continent!) rockers, and surely it'd be better to have them both on one night rather than having two similarish headliners on seperate nights ?

Heres the full 03 performance -

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jFjAWhY1Amg&...&feature=iv

42.20 ....... If i saw that at glasto i'd probably just cry my f**king eyes out.

Neil Young and Radiohead have enormous respect for one another. If they had equally long slots, I'm sure both would be happy to be before the other, whichever suited the timing most (eg, who would best suit the sunset, who would suit a slightly later audience?)

Well if this rumour and conjecture is correct then I am more than happy.

To be fair I would much rather see them at Glasto than at Reading because the sound was so shocking last year (expect for Metalica when it was unbelievably good)

To have Radiohead, Springsteen and (BlueNo no no no) Blur would be quite an amazing line-up.

Also if NY did support Springsteen then that too would be a major event in its self.

Has he ever support Springsteen?

I would imagine there would be a fair few Americans clamouring to get over if that was the case

I don't Understand where this whole idea of Radiohead playing Friday is coming from...

Whoever the fourth headliner is will be supporting Springsteen.

This wouldn't happen:

To Neil Young:

"Okay, you're going to be headlining on the Friday night"

then later...

"Oh sorry, Radiohead are playing and we prefer them to you, so you'll have to make do with a support slot on the Saturday."

having springsteen and young on the same night may lead to something like this thus supporting the 4 headliners idea. just a thought.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=S-n4wOmH0hs

also, i'm a long-serving radiohead fan and i don't think they'd have a problem at all playing before neil on the friday. they're massive fans. he's one of the few i reckon they'd step down for. when they did coachella a few years ago they tried to have their slot changed to support to allow pixies to headline out of respect...

I personally think IF Radiohead play they'l headline the friday night, with Young then Springsteen on the saturday night. It'd make more sense, considering that Young and Springsteen are both big, classic, 70's/80's American (Continent!) rockers, and surely it'd be better to have them both on one night rather than having two similarish headliners on seperate nights ?

Heres the full 03 performance -

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jFjAWhY1Amg&...&feature=iv

42.20 ....... If i saw that at glasto i'd probably just cry my f**king eyes out.

3 possibles in my eyes if radiohead were to play;

1. Radiohead play before Young on the Friday

2. Radiohead play before Young on the Saturday, with Bruce switching to the Friday

2. Radiohead friday, Young playing before Bruce Saturday, due to the lofgren connection.

I don't see Radiohead playing before Bruce. The connection isn't there and they'd be better off waiting a year and headlining 2010. As stated tho, big big fans of Young (evidenced from 5 Young covers they've done, interviews from Yorke on Young, Yorke playing the bridge school benefit gig organised by Young etc).