Glastonbury Virgins - Give us your thoughts.

Dave F.

OK I've been going for years & love it.

It's like coming home & being with an old friend.

But I've long forgotten what it was like the first time I stepped through the gates.

So, first timers, tell us all about it. Such as what your thrilled about, what your worries were (if any), why you decided to go etc.

Give us your story...

include your age (if you wish)

Edited by Dave F.

Well my first was last year and since then I already feel like an expert haha (I did see pretty much everything!).

I remember the feelings so well. The main landmarks were the initial rumours, ticket day (so exciting), the webcam going up and of course actually going.

I remember I was on the verge of bursting when I saw the webcam show people filling up the campsites. That night (wednesday) I saw a monumental performance from Radiohead then thousands crammed into the tubes to head off home, but some of us weren't going home :huh: Quite the opposite. After over an hour on the underground we got to our car and we set off to Glastonbury Festival. We stopped off at an ASDA on the way and we picked up food and alcohol, the superstore was empty as it was about 2 or 3 in the morning. We then tuned into Radio 2 and I text in about how we were heading down to Glastonbury. My message was read out on the radio which was really funny. They seemed to think that everyone travelled down in the early hours of Thursday morning so the DJ proclaimed that "up to 40,000 people could be listening right now!" Somehow I doubted it..

As we approached the festival the excitement was too much and I was now fully awake after about 0 hours sleep in the last 24 hours. We parked up and walked for about half an hour to get to the gates and we were greeted by some very happy people and we got our wristbands and trudged our way inside. And I guess that the rest is history...

You mention worries, I personally worried about the sheer size of the place. Admittedly, it was huge but I pretty much never got lost (except at 4AM in Shangri La). I also feared about the rain which was relatively heavy on the Thursday night. However, this made me even more determined to have a good time and there was much fun to be had walking on a muddy friday. By Saturday, somehow, the mud had dried up. So I felt I experienced the festival in the mud and warmth which was good.

All Glastonbury Virgins, my advice to you is to go with the flow. Don't try to plan everything as it will all be scrapped. Just turn up, look for a sizey space and enjoy your weekend!

Peace, x

This will be my first Glasto, I'll be 17.

I've wanted to go for years, but it's slightly complicated as I've lived in Greece for the past 7 years and haven't had anyone to go with. My parents finally caved, and I'm going on my own this year. Glastonbury has barely been out of my head for more than 5 minutes since I bought my ticket.

Everyone's told me just how immense the site is, and the thought of 180k people on the same site is fairly hard to get my head round. There's so much I want to do there. My main worry is regarding when I'm going to get time to sleep. :huh:

Not only my first Glastonbury, but also my first festival (i thaught i would start off with the best one).

Im 17 and am going with a few friends. Have wanted to go ever sinse watching coverage of the 2006 festival, but my parents have allways deemed me as too young to go.

So far i have been most excited when i got that confrimation email saying that my ticket is booked, sheer joy.

My main worries are clashes, there are some bands that i am desperate to see but i know that there are bound to be some very cruel clashes. I am also nervous of the weather, really dont want a repeat of 2005.

My last worry is that the fourth headliner will be another older act. I am extremely looking forwalds to Blur, but not so much the other 2. I have no problem with them playing and i respect them as artists, i just hope ME finds a band from my generation to be the fouth headliner.

Any virgins (or experts) should check out Paul's excellent Google Earth 3d festival map.

It will give you a detailed view of the full extent of the site. Just click on the footer in his post.

Paul, will you be updating the map to '09 as & when the info becomes available?

Did you get my email about the location of the square pie company?

Cheers

Dave F.

Any virgins (or experts) should check out Paul's excellent Google Earth 3d festival map.

It will give you a detailed view of the full extent of the site. Just click on the footer in his post.

Paul, will you be updating the map to '09 as & when the info becomes available?

Did you get my email about the location of the square pie company?

Cheers

Dave F.

Cheers mate, that's brilliant.

This year will be my first time at Glasto, going with the missus and our 6 year old son. Will be in the Family Camping and that looks to be in quite a good spot near the Pyramid.

Not really worried about anything really, just going to go with the flow. As long as we get to see 3 or 4 bands a day I'll be happy.

My first year in 86. Three off us bunked off school on the Thursday afternoon and got a lift with my mates date. We were in uniform and had crap tents!

We had a small amount of alcohol and some tins of food but not much else.

When we got there we walked in, pitched our tents and went for a wonder about.

We had a great time walking past all the dealers selling there wares, bought things we should not have and got completely bolloxed.

I bought a tea shirt literary from the back of a lorry, It was just a case of turn up open the back and flog what you wanted.

We got picked up on the Sunday night after I had bought a bottle of Piss for 2 quid.

Great Great time. :)

First time this year at the tender age of 44 :)

Bought a 20 year old VeeDub camper last year, so booked into the campervan area :lol:

Very excited. Loving all the speculation about who's headlining. Couldn't give a rats ass meself, cause I know it's going to be amazing whoever I get to see. Just looking forward to soaking in the whole atmosphere and vibe of the place :D

Apart from arriving first thing on Wednesday, not planning a thing. Just going to take it as it comes.

Can 't wait :D

My first year after a fair few festivals up in Scotland - genuinely excited, I've got the feeling for Glasto as I did for my very first festival back in 2004!

Not too bothered about who plays - Neil Young and Blur will be great, hoping for Sonic Youth, Idlewild, Patrick Wolf to show up somewhere over the weekend, but genuinely not too bothered. It'll be great to have a totally unplanned, non-linear experience, meet new people etc.

I'm a little worried about travel arrangements and the like from up here in the north of Scotland down to Glasto and back, but I'm sure it'll turn out fine.

Well my first was last year and since then I already feel like an expert haha (I DID SEE PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING!).

I remember the feelings so well. The main landmarks were the initial rumours, ticket day (so exciting), the webcam going up and of course actually going.

I remember I was on the verge of bursting when I saw the webcam show people filling up the campsites. That night (wednesday) I saw a monumental performance from Radiohead then thousands crammed into the tubes to head off home, but some of us weren't going home :lol: Quite the opposite. After over an hour on the underground we got to our car and we set off to Glastonbury Festival. We stopped off at an ASDA on the way and we picked up food and alcohol, the superstore was empty as it was about 2 or 3 in the morning. We then tuned into Radio 2 and I text in about how we were heading down to Glastonbury. My message was read out on the radio which was really funny. They seemed to think that everyone travelled down in the early hours of Thursday morning so the DJ proclaimed that "up to 40,000 people could be listening right now!" Somehow I doubted it..

As we approached the festival the excitement was too much and I was now fully awake after about 0 hours sleep in the last 24 hours. We parked up and walked for about half an hour to get to the gates and we were greeted by some very happy people and we got our wristbands and trudged our way inside. And I guess that the rest is history...

You mention worries, I personally worried about the sheer size of the place. Admittedly, it was huge but I pretty much never got lost (except at 4AM in Shangri La). I also feared about the rain which was relatively heavy on the Thursday night. However, this made me even more determined to have a good time and there was much fun to be had walking on a muddy friday. By Saturday, somehow, the mud had dried up. So I felt I experienced the festival in the mud and warmth which was good.

All Glastonbury Virgins, my advice to you is to go with the flow. Don't try to plan everything as it will all be scrapped. Just turn up, look for a sizey space and enjoy your weekend!

Peace, x

Well, this year I will be popping my Glasto cherry & I can't wait.

I've wanted to go for yonks & have attempted to get tickets a couple of times but always had major problems. As far as i'm concerned Glastonbury is the holy grail of festivals and despite enjoying my previous festival experiences immensley at the back of my mind i think i've just been making do.

I was expecting the same ticket problems this year but I was determined to get there in 2009 - turns out the tickets were easy to get hold of - so it must be fate.

I'm a huge music fan but that isn't the reason I enjoy the festival experience, its all about spending time with mates, meeting new people, enjoying the atmosphere and having a damn good laugh. Of course i'll be watching some bands & dj's but i'll also be trying to check out all the other stuff going on.

I am excited beyond words to be going this year and just hope my great expectations do not let me down.

I can't wait wait wait wait wait!!!! First time at glasto. going with a group of great mates and my boyfriend, it's his first festival and he's 27!! So he's pretty nervous, I suppose i am in a way as well, camping for 5 days is a big thing for me! Really can't wait to see some ace music, that's what I'm looking forward to the most, discovering new bands with my nest mates and remembering it forever or until I become senile from all the abuse....also worry about not getting a good spot to camp in though and how strict/secure the organisers and security are. Leeds fest was my last festival in 2000 and I just know Glasto will knock the socks off it!!

Well this will be my first time to Glastonbury at the age of 25. Loads of reasons why I never went before... life getting in the way.... so this year (The year of Tegan!!!) I've booked my ticket and going no matter what happens.

I don't really have many worries just crazy excited at the moment. I know I will try and over organise it's in my nature but once I get there I'll just chill out and have fun. I suppose if I did have one worry it would be about how long the walk will be to get to camp (only cos I'm a lazy cow though and those crates of cider are heavy!! :lol: )

Edited by Tegan

08 was my first glasto, was a spur of the moment thing, bought my ticket 2 weeks before the fest and went on my own (kinda, met some peeps there who i hadnt seen in a loooong time). enjoyed every minute of it :lol: plan on gracing the fields with my presence for many more times!! i cant really say anything overly worried me (except thieves). gettin lost was jus part of the fun! the rain on thurs wasnt too bad, and expected! anyone goin for their first time this year, dont worry, itll all be good, trust me :D

Not only my first Glastonbury, but also my first festival (i thaught i would start off with the best one).

Im 17 and am going with a few friends. Have wanted to go ever sinse watching coverage of the 2006 festival, but my parents have allways deemed me as too young to go.

So far i have been most excited when i got that confrimation email saying that my ticket is booked, sheer joy.

My main worries are clashes, there are some bands that i am desperate to see but i know that there are bound to be some very cruel clashes. I am also nervous of the weather, really dont want a repeat of 2005.

My last worry is that the fourth headliner will be another older act. I am extremely looking forwalds to Blur, but not so much the other 2. I have no problem with them playing and i respect them as artists, i just hope ME finds a band from my generation to be the fouth headliner.