is it the end for Glastonbury?

Guest V DUB RAVER

I think the original poster might be a little confused as to the current state of the festival. Probably due to the media overhyping problems that were never really there.

There *was* a point a few years back when the festival may have been in doubt due to the possiblilty of the council refusing a license but all the issues (overcrowding, fence jumping, noise etc) have been dealt with and the locals are now, in the main, very happy with the festival.

In recent years the onlt issues have been Weather ("it's a health hazard") and Headliners and ticket sales (last year...which eventually proved a great festival!). It's only because the media jump on every little thing that people think it's a "troubled" festival, it's not, it's absolutely fine and will go on for a few years yet!

it seems to me that glasto has had problems from day one in the 1970s that has continued. I dont see that theres been any real problems for the last few years i mean 2007 was a big sell out, 2008 sold out in the end and was widely seen as a great success and 2009s almost already sold out

Biggest threat to it today is not MDC, but attendance. Eavis has often reiterated that he'll throw the towel in as soon as he feels the festival is not as popular as it once was and if he starts making a loss again. Needless to say, it is not his loss he is worried about by not selling enough tickets, but not being able to award the charities the promised figure at the end of the show.

Whether Emily takes it over as well after Michael retires is another moot point. Although showing more enthusiasm for the festival these days running her own section of it (Park), and taking an increasingly active role in booking the bands, she traditionally used to say that running the whole lot was just not an option for her.

Time will tell, probably around the time of the site license renewal.