Sell Glade to me

Guest zeppelin

hey guys, me and a few mates are thinking about trying Glade this year

just wondered if anyone could "sell" it to me, whats the atmosphere like? is it well ran? that sorta thing

for a bit of context ive been to reading twice and V once, and i'm headed to glasto for the first time this year.

well the usual dance events like godskitchen, creamfields etc are just big outdoor club events with big name 'commercial' dj's & acts, trying to attract some of their regular club types & then the younger crowd just starting out at festivals will be there too. big soundsystems lot's of po-lice & burger vans. a good crack but fairly superficial.

glade seem to look more in-depth for new & more underground artists, based loosely around psy-trance, uk breaks, ambient, IDM & related mental music. also some techno & house.

atmosphere is fantastic for the most part it's the most 'honest' crowd compared to these superclub festivals. people are just there to relax & loosen up, be in a scenic location & feel free to wander round place to place without feeling like it's gonna end too soon.

they don't pimp it like the clubs do which is probably why you get more people there actually for the music, they don't really need to as it's not really about cashing in but providing something memorable. although they do make it more than worthwile when you get there, just not with tons of advertising. you should check out the glade photos on their website.

there's much better vaiety of food on offer & great places to chill. bit of a hippy vibe but not too pretentious. mad mental music goes on with psy in the middle & chill out on another part of site. it just feels like being on holiday.

no horror from the toilets & most years they have great weather which has resulted in much extreme fun dancing in the hot sun barefoot. weather's a gamble for any festival

but if/when these things coincide you'll probably want to go the following year. indeed, on the same dates in '05 & '06 there was heatwave which made it even more special, though perhaps a tad too hot for some.

personally this event has tainted my view of the more commercial events to the extent now that i won't go to them anymore.

hope this helps

rOcky and nvkid909 sums up glade really well, practacally left me nothing to add on.

For me it s the best dance festival I ever been too, it has the right music, right atmosphere and the crowds is the best I"ve ever seen at a festival.

The venue was lovely too, but I have fate in glade organisers that the new venue will be great too.

...oh & look where it is... :D:)

still can't get my head round why the old site has been vacated, it looked like it would contain the sound very well, with the tents being at the bottom of a hillside, & a large woodland section sloping upwards like a huge dam made of trees... but of course, not really about the sound was it (imo), more the views of one nimby on the war path, ultimately :) .

new site not so woodland innit... but the right shape, eh :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been going to festivals since 1977 and only been to Glade once -2007 when the conditions were like the Somme and I worked for Oxfam- it's got to be one of the best festivals I've ever been to in terms of atmosphere, groovy but intense vibes and some of the best audio visual experiences you can enjoy - it really is the most amazing experience imaginable - it makes Glastonbury seem like tea at the vicarage!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been to a few of the commercial festivals, and loved every minute of them,

However, Gatecrasher summer sound was awesome last year, and even though had a load of commercial acts, it wasn't amazingly well attended! Which is why I absolutely loved it!

Thinkin of Glade this year!

U think it will be a good replacement?

:angry:

i miss the one night festivals like homelands & global. but all that seems like a different era to me anyway.

i'm very cynical about people like gatecrasher et al; going to these is like going to an outdoor club, it's not very memorable (imo), it's like: have yer fun, eat yer burger, now fook off!! this can be reflected by the amount of litter people drop; it's a throw away experience.

the early glades were less populated & because of the hippy ethos, people actually gave a fcuk & put stuff in the bins. it's strange 'cos despite the assorted beats going on, people were there to chill & because of the awesome lineups in any direction from about midday onwards you'd just gravitate towards something naturally. unlike commercial events where there is no tomorrow, get wasted as possible, go see mr big name dj, go home.

will it be a good replacement? yes, it will overwrite all the club branded events completely.