A 'big surprise' and change in fallow year?

Guest marktea

Just read an article which has a couple of interesting quotes from ME that I have not seen elsewhere. First up he suggests that the fallow year will be pushed back from 2011 to 2012 to avoid a clash with the Olympics. It would be subject to planning approval to have a festival in 2011 as the current licence expires in 2010.

As for this years lineup the article reports as follows:

"While Mr Eavis said he was not going to reveal the 2009 line-up at this early stage, he did drop some big hints.

He said: "Most of the rumours already out there are pretty good, I must say. Not necessarily all of them, but most of them are good."

Three of the most hotly-tipped acts have been Bruce Springsteen, the recently reformed Blur, and Neil Young.

Mr Eavis laughed when these names were put to him and refused to confirm or deny whether any of those stars would be at Pilton this summer. However, he did say rumour-mongers have not got it completely right with one big name who is set to appear yet to be mentioned.

He said: "There's one missing out there that is a really good one that people haven't latched on to yet, so I'm very pleased about that.

"It's good to have one surprise."

As happens every year, there have been some more off-the-wall suggestions - including that of megastar material girl, Madonna.

But Mr Eavis said firmly: "No, that's not a good one (rumour)."

I know that there has been lots of speculation on other threads but I thought this was pretty interesting if someone big really has slipped under the radar.

Full article is here:

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/wdp/news/Gl...il/article.html

Edited by marktea

Just read an article which has a couple of interesting quotes from ME that I have not seen elsewhere. First up he suggests that the fallow year will be pushed back from 2011 to 2012 to avoid a clash with the Olympics. It would be subject to planning approval to have a festival in 2011 as the current licence expires in 2010.

As for this years lineup the article reports as follows:

"While Mr Eavis said he was not going to reveal the 2009 line-up at this early stage, he did drop some big hints.

He said: "Most of the rumours already out there are pretty good, I must say. Not necessarily all of them, but most of them are good."

Three of the most hotly-tipped acts have been Bruce Springsteen, the recently reformed Blur, and Neil Young.

Mr Eavis laughed when these names were put to him and refused to confirm or deny whether any of those stars would be at Pilton this summer. However, he did say rumour-mongers have not got it completely right with one big name who is set to appear yet to be mentioned.

He said: "There's one missing out there that is a really good one that people haven't latched on to yet, so I'm very pleased about that.

"It's good to have one surprise."

As happens every year, there have been some more off-the-wall suggestions - including that of megastar material girl, Madonna.

But Mr Eavis said firmly: "No, that's not a good one (rumour)."

I know that there has been lots of speculation on other threads but I thought this was pretty interesting if someone big really has slipped under the radar.

Full article is here:

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/wdp/news/Gl...il/article.html

For what it's worth I agree. That said I think the lineup comments did at least confirm the three that are already strongly rumoured (given that there was no denial as in the case of Madonna).

If that is true then it sets the standard by which the fourth 'really good one' is going to have to bear comparison with. Only speculation but quite exciting for all that.

agreed, i wont be catching any of the rumoured headliners but cant deny that they are massive acts and to state that theres four must mean somebody equally huge that no one has a clue about

I wouldn't be so sure that no one has a clue about them - it's very possible that Michael isn't up-to-date with what's circulating, and the possibility of it being Arctic Monkeys for the 4th act hasn't been widely reported. As far as I'm aware, that's only been talked about on 6music and not 'properly' reported anywhere.

I wouldn't be so sure that no one has a clue about them - it's very possible that Michael isn't up-to-date with what's circulating, and the possibility of it being Arctic Monkeys for the 4th act hasn't been widely reported. As far as I'm aware, that's only been talked about on 6music and not 'properly' reported anywhere.
Edited by Tugger2k

i dont really see the point of not clashing with the olympics, i was looking forward to the fact that i had glastonbury and could get away from it.

i'm not the olympics biggest fan and believe that it will be a massive white elephant.

i mean, the chance to to mingle with thousands of people to watch drugged up performers, who wants to watch that!!

oh, i'll get my coat :O

Edited by Tugger2k

brilliant as they are, and i would definatly catch them, to compare them to the other three's putting them in a bracket they may reach, but nowhere near yet though, no? :O

how you bracket them against others tho depends on exactly how you compare them. Sales-per-album and mass-interest-wise they're on a fairly comparable level (tho of course they don't match with 'legend' status).

I do strongly suspect that the 4th headliner is a new-ish band, because I can't believe that no one has pointed out the fact of the three 'ageing' headliners having an impact on how the fest is viewed. I reckon they've gone off and found a 4th band on this basis.

But anyway, I don't really have any good info on who the 4th band might be. Arctic Monkeys are a good fit as a possible tho I reckon.

i dont really see the point of not clashing with the olympics, i was looking forward to the fact that i had glastonbury and could get away from it.

i'm not the olympics biggest fan and believe that it will be a massive white elephant.

i mean, the chance to to mingle with thousands of people to watch drugged up performers, who wants to watch that!!

oh, i'll get my coat ;)

how you bracket them against others tho depends on exactly how you compare them. Sales-per-album and mass-interest-wise they're on a fairly comparable level (tho of course they don't match with 'legend' status).

This would be sooo great! The fallow year in 2012 means that I have no reason to be in the UK around those months! I really wanna be out of the country during the olympics (and all the craziness that comes with it) as it doesn't interest me at all. Either I'm going to go travelling for a few months or find a festival abroad somewhere. Glastonbury goes abroad festival :O

Best news ever! :(

Interesting point raised by ME is the lack of essential festival extras (portaloos, security staff, and trains).

If the Olympics are 27 July-12 Aug 2012 how the heck does that cause a problem at the end of June? The Portaloos and security go from event to event all summer. The trains are planned daily, and the type of train they are using for the Olympics are not the type used for the Great Western services or even the festival specials.

I know there's a lot of volunteers required (and applied) for the Olympic venues which will take a draw from the voluntary sector, but I can't see how the two events will be a draw against each others resources.

And on the other bits of ME's statement, my money's on Coldplay (unpopular I know, but I really enjoyed their gig in Manchester last month, and I'm not a huge fan (the ticket was a freebie))

**Edit - Benisright jumped in before me :O**

Al.

Edited by Al the CAT

Interesting point raised by ME is the lack of essential festival extras (portaloos, security staff, and trains).

If the Olympics are 27 July-12 Aug 2012 how the heck does that cause a problem at the end of June? The Portaloos and security go from event to event all summer. The trains are planned daily, and the type of train they are using for the Olympics are not the type used for the Great Western services or even the festival specials.

I know there's a lot of volunteers required (and applied) for the Olympic venues which will take a draw from the voluntary sector, but I can't see how the two events will be a draw against each others resources.

And on the other bits of ME's statement, my money's on Coldplay (unpopular I know, but I really enjoyed their gig in Manchester last month, and I'm not a huge fan (the ticket was a freebie))

**Edit - Benisright jumped in before me :O**

Al.

Edited by benisright