Powers of Pursuation

Guest glastonbury2008

Friends ?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. How easy is it to persuade mates who have only ever been to other festivals such as reading to go to glastonbury for the first time ?

• Easy Peasy
    • Kind of Easy
    • Meh...
    • Bit Hard
    • F*cking Impossible
    • Kidnapping is needed !

hi i am trying to pursuade one of my mates to come to glastonbury and not school prom.

my arguement is where would you rather be... in ( our home town) drinking soft drinks with a load of dorks, or at the world greatest arts festival with friends dancing around in a field of your nut on all manner of substances... any other arguements for me to tell him.....

Edited by glastonbury2008

It's surprisingly hard to convince people, I've had that problem before. You can't describe just how good it is becuase they seem to just think "it's some bands in a big field" and don't understand the atmosphere etc.

Instead of desribing why you love it, think of what they like and try and describe how they could do that at the festival. For example they like clubbing, tell them about the dance tents, silent disco etc. That's the only way I've managed it before.

Edited by Bradders

This isn't a particularly constructive response either, but I agree; it is hard to convince people.

Before I went to Glastonbury, I just sort of assumed it was going to be pretty similar to Reading. Nothing anybody said to me really conveyed the sheer size of the place, the crazy stuff that you'll never see anywhere else, or that special atmosphered that is unique to Glastonbury.

So no, I'm not sure. Once they get there, they'll see the light. Sorry that's not much help. Maybe point them in the direction of this website, or show them some photos?

I;'ve found the best way to convince people is with that massive picture/poster of the whole site, I point out the different areas, all the different stages and that, the green fields, the whole variety of it.

Seconded. Get hold of the poster from last year's post-Glasto review magazine thingy, lay it out in front of them and let them take it all in. Phrases like this will help...

"That's the Pyramid stage and arena, you can fit about 50,000 people in that"

"Yes, they're all dance tents. If one's full there's plenty more to choose from"

"This is the John Peel stage. It uses the largest tent in the UK"

"You know it takes some 30,000 staff just to run it for 5 days"

"See this line going round the site, that's the monorail..."

etc etc

Can't quite remember what the post was titled and don't have time to locate it at the moment as i'm at work, but there's someone on here who posted a link to short film about Glastonbury fest on an online magazine site. If you can locate it or one of our fellow e-festivallers can point you in the right direction, it'd be a great weapon in the fight against non-attendance. Also have you considered kidnap? They'd be mightly pissed off at being in the boot for the journey but I'd be very suprised if they pressed charges after they'd experienced the magic of Glastonbury.

I;'ve found the best way to convince people is with that massive picture/poster of the whole site, I point out the different areas, all the different stages and that, the green fields, the whole variety of it.

or sit em down and watch the movie with them.

the performances alone should do it - my personal fave is the FLC Scooby Snacks piece - not my favorite band, tune or moment but get them to watch that and then see the look in their eyes :)

that has worked wonders for me in the past ;)

Edited by Tugger2k

Me and the the friends i went to Glasto last year with decided to go to our Prom on the Thursday night and go down on the Friday morning. Our prom wasn't that bad (probably something to do with the bottles of vodka we took in with us ;))But we all agreed we would have rather gone to Glastonbury earlier and been there for longer than gone to our Prom.

OK show them this:

glasto2008aerial1mediumwh8.jpg

Or even BETTER this ------>High resolution version (4.5MB) <------- This is bloody amazing - you can see individual tents and people etc!

Not every last bit of the site but it's as good an up to date image as I could find.

Gives people an idea of the size of the place tho :O

PS I am very green as I have recycled this from one of my posts on another thread last night :(

thanks very much for this pic. This is my first festival, and i am trying to get my bearings on this picture, obviously i can see where the pyramid/other stages are, but can someone please explain to me where the john peel tent and other stages are situated. would be very gratefull.

as you seem to be really helpfull, i hope you dont mind me asking more questions.

are you given some sort of timetable when you enter the site as i am getting nervous of missing atcs that i have planned on seeing

Don't want to be a pedantic little shit or anything but honest to god. Pursuation????????? Thats one of the worst spellings of any word I've ever seen. Persuasion.

Another reason you shouldn't go to your prom. Your English teacher may be there and you'd have to explain yourself.

Don't want to be a pedantic little shit or anything but honest to god. Pursuation????????? Thats one of the worst spellings of any word I've ever seen. Persuasion.

Another reason you shouldn't go to your prom. Your English teacher may be there and you'd have to explain yourself.